2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 2 - Amsterdam - Utrecht - 209 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
The first road race of the 2010 Giro is flat, starting in Amsterdam and ending in Utrecht. Two very small climbs occur shortly before the midpoint of the stage, to decide the first wearer of the green jersey. The roads leading into the finish in Utrecht twist and turn repeatedly.

Looking at profile, this stage should take Greipel or Petacchi. But there's right hand turn very close to the finish line which could disturb Columbia's train and give chance to McEwen.
McEwen has mentioned that he's targeting a stage in Holland, but he was talking about next one, the third.
If Greipel takes it, he'll take the leader's jersey too. I'm sure he's very motivated to show that he can do what Cavendish did last year.

Greipel
McEwen
Petacchi

Grater said:
Henderson

Good choice.
I think SKY will try to retain the jersey but it will be Greg Henderson rather than Wiggins who will probably do well for SKY today.

Juat watching it now : very overcast conditions on the road to Utrecht today.

Farrar takes it, after multiple massive crashes and a stage that was as much obstacle course as road race. (Notice his shoes. He started the day with both of them white, but the crashes were so traumatic for the shoes, one of them changed color!) Greipel's leadout man was second. I think Greipel came in fourth.

Pretty chaotic stage, which certainly left many big names disappointed. Sastre, Wiggins and Bruseghin lost pretty significant chunks of time due to crashes/being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Overall after Stage 2:

1) Cadel 5:07:09

37) Wiggins 32 seconds down
74) Sastre 57 seconds down
151) Bruseghin 1:45 down

pennstater said:
74) Sastre 57 seconds down

Sastre needs to be careful. It's so easy to fall into a hole before the important stuff even begins. He's 54 seconds down on Vino, and he's going to be down more after the TTT. He'll need to make that up, as well as Vino's blood bag advantage. Carlos is setting himself up for a tough slog. But I'm rooting for him. Also for Garzelli and Basso.

Maxiton said:
Farrar takes it, after multiple massive crashes and a stage that was as much obstacle course as road race. (Notice his shoes. He started the day with both of them white, but the crashes were so traumatic for the shoes, one of them changed color!) Greipel's leadout man was second. I think Greipel came in fourth.

Greipel gets dropped by his lead out man in another important race. Shocker...

swampy1970 said:
Greipel gets dropped by his lead out man in another important race. Shocker...

I'd like to see Goss step up this year or next, he's a top bloke.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQvY4w9vOg]YouTube - Giro d'Italia 2010 - Stage 2 - Final kilometers[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQvY4w9vOg&feature=related]YouTube - Giro d'Italia 2010 - Stage 2 - Final kilometers[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM2VmLZKuaY&feature=related]YouTube - Giro d'Italia 2010 - Stage 2 - Crashes, crashes and more crashes...[/ame]

Stage 2 Results
1 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 4:56:46
2 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
3 Fabio Sabatini (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
4 André Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
5 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
6 Christopher Sutton (Aus) Sky Professional Cycling Team
7 Robbie Mcewen (Aus) Team Katusha
8 Graeme Brown (Aus) Rabobank
9 Julian Dean (NZl) Garmin - Transitions
10 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox

General Classification after stage 2