2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 3 - Amsterdam - Middelburg - 209 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, May 10, 2010.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Starting again from Amsterdam, stage 3 includes portions dipping below sea level. The route heads south from Amsterdam along the North Sea, crossing through the islands of Zeeland before ending in Middelburg on Walcheren.

Tags:

2. Maxiton

Maxiton New Member

I tuned in for the last 10 k or so, just after the big crash that caught up Evans. Did the first group attack the Maglia Rosa while Evans was down? In any event Evans lost over forty seconds to . . . . . . Vinokourov!, who is the new Maglia Rosa.

You could see the riders in the two lead groups talking to their directors. Vino might have been saying, "I can drive it for the pink jersey. Let's go!," while Evans might have been asking, "Who's in the lead group? Should we chase? Where are my teammates?" After that conversation Evans did chase, valiantly, but he did so pretty much by himself and ran out of road. At one point the lead group was only 18 seconds in front of the Maglia Rosa, but then they opened the spigot.

Greipel might be re-calibrating his confidence level just now. HTC had him set up pretty well in the last meters from what I could see, but his kick was nowhere in evidence. Sixth in the sprint.

Vandevelde abandoned with a broken collarbone - a la stage 3 of last year, but maybe not as bad. Doesn't bode well for his Tour. Interestingly, Nibali is in fifth spot, five seconds down.

3. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Last two stages where very poorly designed. Crash after crash after crash caused by stupid road furniture. I'd hate to see the overall decided because of a bad route through holland.

4. Maxiton

Maxiton New Member

Me too. Holland gives new meaning to the term "flat stage." On the other hand, though, maybe this could be the start of a new type of road racing. How do you say "obstacle course" in French? Sort of like cyclocross except you don't get off your bike, at least not on purpose.

EDIT: "Parcours du Combattant." There it is! The new road racing for the new century. And all thanks to the designers of this parcours and the Giro heads who signed off on it. But I think the Giro people like unsafe courses. Maybe it's a throwback to the Coliseum.

5. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

sort of gives the lie to the benefits of race radios. are the ds's not keeping their riders informed of all these road hazards?

6. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Coming up to the finish of yesterdays and todays stage all the DS would have been able to say to their riders is something along the lines of: "For the last 10 kilometers hazard every 100 meters, good luck."

Given how fast that final 10km goes (well over 30mph) it's impossible to warn everyone in the bunch about each individual crash causing hazard.

Now, Vandevelde is out. Wiggins is 4:28 down and injured (based on what I heard), Sastre has lost 1:25, Evans 0:44. I think only Nibali and Vino have remained unscathed.

Stupid choice of course, it's fine for a one day spring classic race but not in a GT!!!

7. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i disagree, cycling is not supposed to be all pretty fun roses, open your eyes and race. makes for some excitement to say the least. granted i'm not saying that people are supposed to get hurt but it happens. those last two crashes from stage 2 yesterday were all flat road so what was the deal there? that coulda happened anywhere with the speed and amount of people in the group, couldn't it?

8. MiyataBob

MiyataBob New Member

Bet those who chose to race the ToC instead of Giro are thanking the cycling Gods.

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

That was an interesting finish - class win by Weylandt, even though it looked like he went about 100 yards too soon. Just ride around the HTC boys why don't ya. LOL

10. pennstater

pennstater New Member

In regards to other riders attacking the MR, it looked to me that in the few kilometers after the crash the Evans group would eventually catch the lead group. At one point, shortly after the crash/split, the Vino group had 29 seconds. It didn't look like the lead group was pushing that hard and the Evans group managed to bring the gap down to 18 seconds. But once HTC Columbia got within a few kilometers from the finish the gap really started to open up.

I kept waiting for some of Cadel's teammates to join him and help in the chase, but there were no riders from BMC anywhere near him. After Cadel, the next best BMC rider finished the stage almost 8 minutes down in 94th position.

11. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9b8lwem_U]YouTube - Giro d'Italia 2010 - Stage 3 - Final kilometers[/ame]

Stage 3 Results - first 15
    1 Wouter Weylandt (Bel) Quick Step 5:00:06
    2 Graeme Brown (Aus) Rabobank
    3 Robert Forster (Ger) Team Milram
    4 Danilo Hondo (Ger) Lampre-Farnese Vini
    5 Adam Blythe (GBr) Omega Pharma-Lotto
    6 Andre Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
    7 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram
    8 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
    9 Thomas Rohregger (Aut) Team Milram
    10 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana
    11 Baden Cooke (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
    12 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions
    13 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone
    14 Matthew Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
    15 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo

General classification @ stage 3

1 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 10:07:18
    2 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
    3 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:01
    4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:05
    5 Marcel Sieberg (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:07
    6 Matthew Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:10
    7 Andre Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
    8 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:00:12
    9 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:00:15
    10 Pieter Weening (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:16
    12 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:17
    14 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:18
    24 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:43
    43 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:01:40
    50 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:02:07
    55 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:04:28

12. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

which is why i doubt the reason often cited by ds's about their keeping race radios in the peloton. last year they ranted about how their radios keep their riders safe and the racing competitive. one of those limitations they didn't see fit to mention in their defence of the technology. here, you've pointed up how little worth it would have had in these last km's.

13. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

The usefulness of the race radio's at preventing crashes is really dependent on the situation. In this one, totally useless. When it's a single hazard 5km up the road that the riders can be warned about, it's useful. But then you could argue that information on those types of hazards could be sent to all riders over a universal radio channel. Or you could work out where the hazards are going to be *before* the stage starts, after all you know the route many weeks in advance.

14. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

through them rather. there was apparently some bs spoken by Greipel to the Weylandt, saying “You didn't do anything at all, you rotten dumbass.” but I didn't see anything wrong with how it played out, didn't look like HTC had anything to offer at the end anyway and that the strongest and most prepared guy went for it and won fair and square.

full details in link below.

Giro D'Italia: Stage 3, Route Maps & Results | Cyclingnews.com

15. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Greipel should be leading Goss out, you can see Goss look around with about 100 to go wondering WTF Greipel is. Greipel had perfect positioning, but blew it, wonder what happened?

He's had a strange drop off in form.