2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 5 - Novara - Novi Ligure - 168 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Stage 5 - Novara - Novi Ligure - 168 km

After another transfer, the peloton is faced with the fifth stage. It is flat, entering Liguria, with two short climbs occurring about two-thirds of the way into the stage.

Giro d' Italia News

HTC-Columbia director credits Giro break
Stage 5 was a missed opportunity for sprinters to win at the Giro d'Italia. Losing teams like Lampre, HTC-Columbia, and Garmin-Transitions, blamed each other for not having closed the gap to breakaway riders Yukiya Arashiro, Julien Fouchard and stage winner Jérôme Pineau.
Link: HTC-Columbia Director Credits Giro Break | Cyclingnews.com

Bettini believes in Sastre
Paolo Bettini sees one name above all others in the race for the final Maglia Rosa in Verona: Carlos Sastre. Bettini recently spoke with Italy's second-largest daily circulation paper, La Repubblica.
Link: Giro d'Italia: Bettini believes in Sastre | VeloNation Cycling News and Reference

McEwen suffering with knee problem at the Giro
Robbie McEwen came off the Katusha team bus to speak to Cyclingnews after the stage to Novi Ligure with an ice bag wrapped around his left knee and clear signs of pain on his face.
Link: McEwen Suffering With Knee Problem At The Giro | Cyclingnews.com

Jerome Pineau wins fifth stage for Quickstep‎
On a day designed as a tribute to Fausto Coppi 50 years after his premature death, an audacious break kept away for most of the day to steal the honours from the sprinters who had begun the day with such high hopes.
Link: Giro d'Italia 2010: Jerome Pineau wins fifth stage for Quickstep - Telegraph

Nibali enjoys his first day in the maglia rosa
Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Doimo) was able to enjoy his first day in the maglia rosa as the Giro d'Italia remembered the legendary Fausto Coppi in his home town of Novi Ligure on the 50th anniversary of his death.
Link: Nibali Enjoys His First Day In The Maglia Rosa | Cyclingnews.com

Pineau takes stage 5 as the peloton gets it wrong
Jérôme Pineau (Quick Step) won stage 5 of the Giro d’Italia between Novara and Novi Ligure from a breakaway that managed to hold off the sprinters’ teams right to the line. Quick Step’s “other Frenchman” took the Belgain team’s second stage of the race so far, beating fellow escapees Julien Fouchard (Cofidis) and Yukiya Arashiro (Bbox Bouyges Telecom) into second and third respectively. Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Transitions) led the peloton home right on the trio’s heels.
Link: Giro d'Italia: Pineau takes stage 5 as the peloton gets it wrong | VeloNation Cycling News and Reference

Farrar accepts defeat in Novi Ligure
Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Transitions) won the sprint for fourth place on stage five at the Giro d'Italia, showing he is perhaps the fastest sprinter in the race, but that was little consolation for the American after the peloton failed to catch the three-man breakaway before the finish in Novi Ligure.
Link: Farrar Accepts Defeat In Novi Ligure | Cyclingnews.com

Pineau experienced depression before returning as a winner
It's been six years since a Frenchman last won a stage at the Giro d'Italia, Christophe Le Mével on stage 17 in Varazze in 2004, and six years since Jerome Pineau last won a race, but Pineau put an end to both dry spells today in Novi Ligure.
Link: Pineau Experienced Depression Before Returning As A Winner | Cyclingnews.com

Motivated Arashiro makes breakaway succeed
It was Yukiya Arashiro's acceleration with 1.2km to go that made the three-man breakaway of stage 5 in the Giro d'Italia a success. As the leading trio were on the verge of being swept up by the peloton, the 25-year-old BBox Bouygues Telecom rider breathed new life into a seemingly doomed escape.
Link: Motivated Arashiro Makes Breakaway Succeed | Cyclingnews.com

Contenders after stage 4
1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 10:44:00
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:13
6 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:00:33
27 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:59
32 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:02:13
38 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:02:35
41 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:02:49
44 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:03:45

Greipel to score finally.
Petacchi behind him. And Farrar to complete the podium.
A classic GT sprint finish.

Andrija said:
Greipel to score finally.
Petacchi behind him. And Farrar to complete the podium.
A classic GT sprint finish.

Greipel ?? In stage 3 he proved one thing and that was, its time for him to go home or lead Goss out.

1) Goss
2) Petacchi
3) Hondo

^^^ Yes, Greipel. I think he's still first sprinter in Columbia and that they'll lead him out.
O.K. he didn't show anything in Holland, but those traffic obstacles there could confuse people. Especially if they come from Germany.
There has to be a stage with everything according to pre-race expectations and I think this is that stage.

I'd heard that the reason Greipel was so slow in Holland was because he'd been ill. If so it'll be a day or two before he's back to full speed.

1. Farrar
2. Petacchi
3. Weylandt

Is my guess for the podium today. Moncoutie to go in the break and ****** up some mountain points so he can start making his mark on that competition.

Andrija said:
^^^ Yes, Greipel. I think he's still first sprinter in Columbia and that they'll lead him out.
O.K. he didn't show anything in Holland, but those traffic obstacles there could confuse people. Especially if they come from Germany.
There has to be a stage with everything according to pre-race expectations and I think this is that stage.

Everyone had to deal with the road issues, including the guys who handed his ass to him. :D:D:D:D Perhaps today is his day? who knows.

^^^ Told you... It's tricky for Germans in the Netherlands.

So far, Lampre's showing biggest interest in this stage. Columbia's leaving the control to others.
Petacchi's train is much weaker than Columbia's. I'm not sure if they (Lampre) know how to deliver Petacchi to the finish line spending energy so early.

Train? Weylandt proved that when sprinting against Gripe, you don't need a train. Just sprint, blast past Goss and it's a done deal that Greipel is about 3 wheels behind Goss... Which is ashame because HTC has two killer set of guys to lead their sprinters out. I wouldn't put Goss up with Renshaw just yet but the guy is proving himself to be very very capable. He's got the speed but he just lacks that little bit of 'assertiveness' that Renshaw commands.

Tour of Turkey and Tour Down Under are nice wins to have but as proven in races where the faster lads are really interested in, like the Scheldeprijs and the Giro, Greipel still has to prove himself.

Petacchi needs train. That's what I'm talking about comparing Columbia and Lampre.
Regarding Greipel, let's wait and see... Maybe he was anxious in the Netherlands.

30 kilometers to go and trains are slowly stepping to the front. Lampre still at the top, Garmin behind them followed by Columbia.
They're inspecting the finish.

Fantastic!
Escape managed to hold on!
Hats off... Whole day in escape and deserved victory!
Bad inspection of last 600 meters from sprinters' teams.

Bob Stapleton, HTC supremo, will probably be glad that he's in Italy witnessing his teams underwhelming results. The fine wine and food should take the edge off things... We'll have to see if the Polizia let drunk team bosses drive.

Andrija said:
Fantastic!
Escape managed to hold on!
Hats off... Whole day in escape and deserved victory!
Bad inspection of last 600 meters from sprinters' teams.

It was fantastic. I had to leave for dentist appointment but managed to catch stream on my phone (which was itself fantastic). Thrilling to see breakaway fighting for line and making it with peloton In full looming gallop just behind.

Pleasantly surprised that the break-away finished ahead of the field. Great win by Pineau, although I was hoping Arashiro would take the stage. He put in a nice attack towards the end, which really lifted the pace of the three riders, helping them stay in front of the pack. It also looked like all the sprinter's teams were looking around at each other waiting for another team to take the responsibility to chase the break-away down in the last few kilometers. Probably cost them the chance of a sprint finish and possible victory.

great finish! I was rooting for Arashiro too! The chase group came ohhhh so close to catching them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2KRdNt2BZg]YouTube - Giro d'Italia 2010 - Stage 5 - Final kilometers[/ame]

Stage 5 Results
1 Jerome Pineau (Fra) Quick Step 3:45:59
2 Julien Fouchard (Fra) Cofidis, le Credit en Ligne
3 Yukiya Arashiro (Jpn) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
4 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:04
5 Gregory Henderson (NZl) Sky Professional Cycling Team
6 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
7 Graeme Brown (Aus) Rabobank
8 Andre Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
9 Lucas Sebastian Haedo (Arg) Team Saxo Bank
10 William Bonnet (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom

General classification @ stage 5
1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 14:30:03
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:13
3 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:20
4 Matthew Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:26
5 Andre Greipel (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
6 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:00:33
7 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:39
8 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:45
9 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions
10 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana 0:00:59
16 Pieter Weening (Ned) Rabobank 0:01:15
26 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:02:01
29 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:02:13
37 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:02:49
48 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:04:36

limerickman said:
These flat stages hold zero interest for me, i must confess.
I tend to agree; it's like you invest a few hrs to watch something that comes down to the last 1 km anyway.

But today...it's ALWAYS nice when the break holds out until the end.