2010 Giro d' Italia: Stage 8 - Chianciano - Monte Terminillo: 189 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Stage 8: Chianciano - Monte Terminillo: 189 km

This is the Giro's first mountain stage, concluding with a climb to Monte Terminillo. Prior to the Terminillo, the course undulates roughly, visiting two other categorized climbs and other rises in elevation. The Terminillo climb takes 16.1 km (10.0 mi), gaining 1,172 m (3,845 ft) of vertical elevation for a steady gradient of 7.3%. The hardest stretches of the climb reach 12% grade.

Distance: 189km
Vertical climb: 3,390m
Stage High point: 1,668m
Terrain Type: Medium mountains

Stage 8 Map
View attachment 12116

Stage 8 Profile
View attachment 12120

Stage 8 Climbs
View attachment 12118View attachment 12119
View attachment 12117

General classification before stage 8
1 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 24:09:42
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:12
3 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions 0:01:29
4 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:01:30
5 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:33
6 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:01:40
7 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:01:50
8 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:51
9 Thomas Rohregger (Aut) Team Milram 0:01:56
10 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:00
11 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:02:47
12 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:03:08
13 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:03:09
14 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:03:28
15 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:03:38
16 Laurent Didier (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:03:39
17 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Liquigas-Doimo 0:04:05
18 Josep Jufre Pou (Spa) Astana 0:04:23
19 Pieter Weening (Ned) Rabobank 0:04:38
20 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank 0:06:05
24 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:07:06
148 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:46:10

Stage 8 News

Simoni or Moncoutie take this from a break.

Or a similar thing to stage 8 at the vuelta last year where Moncoutie attacked the break but then was caught by Cunego who attacked from the peloton.

Hard to predict the winner after a stage like it was yesterday. Many of riders who would otherwise fancy this stage could be demoralized.
I'll agree with most expectations that the winner will come from a break. Not very pleasant weather is predicted for Terminillo, so it will be a factor again.
If Moncoutie has certain ambitions regarding Maglia Verde in this race , then he should start collecting the points. Maybe Pozzovivo tries something like Sella few years ago (but not in the same way), or goes just for a stage victory, if he isn't too depressed.
I don't see Simoni as a winner, he just hasn't form. Even going in the break could be bad for him. He should wait Dolomites where he'll have better form and larger deficit in GC, thus easier job to take a stage.
Jose Serpa is my pick. He has the motive in mountain competition, deficit huge enough for breakaway, but with potential to progress in GC, represents domestic team with a leader who could need help on the final climb, but also has own ambitions regarding stages.
If not Serpa, then some other South American will represent this team in the breakaway (or more of them). They have ambitions in several different competitions in this race.

It's also to early for Evans to challenge for the lead, there is no way his team could defend for 2 :eek: weeks :eek: days.

Yes.
I was thinking about BMC watching Evans yesterday. Best scenario for him would be to take the jersey in Verona.

There's big breakaway, but it looks like Cunego wants to materialize on his good form. I'm sure he gained self-confidence after yesterday. Lampre's controlling the time gap.

I'm hoping Garzelli can do something special today, but Moncoutie is in the break-away and it looks like someone woke him up and told him there was a big mountain today.

Lampre is on the front setting the tempo. I didn't see Cunego as a big GC contendor, but seeing his team on the front and his strong ride yesterday, maybe he does have the goods.

Also, watch out for Nibali.

I've seen stuff written about this climb saying it's not that hard. Well it's a hell of a lot harder than Verbier and that destroyed the peloton at the TdF. So it's really a case of how hard the teams are pushing when they hit the base of the climb as to how much this fragments.

Given that everyone will be completely destroyed from yesterday though the thing could shatter and leave a small group of GC favourites plugging up the climb, no one willing to attack.

I don't think Evans can take the jersey today, Vino is too strong to lose nearly 2 minutes in one stage. Cunego seems a good pick for this one, Sastre seems a tad blown, he'll wait for the third week to go on the attack and Cunego has put his team to the front.

Sorensen battled the victory. He looked cooked for 20 kilometers, but found the energy. Hats off!
Saxo scored with "alternative" team, good for them.
Cervelo may have changed strategy giving Tondo freedom.
Cunego looked good... Maybe he has some GC ambitions, after all. But keeping the form is his problem.
Everything else as expected.

P.S.
Vinokourov could find himself in trouble with weakish team. Evans used himself to that.

It kills me to admit this but Vino looks strong.

An interesting stage today : Sastre failed to make the chasing group which was strange.
Vino/Evans/Basso/Scarponi/Cunego all roade in the chasing group and watched each other.
Interesting stage tpday.

Good win for Saxo though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIcNafA_yX4]YouTube - Giro d'Italia 2010 - Stage 8 - Final kilometers[/ame]

Stage 8 Results
1 Chris Sorensen (Den) Team Saxo Bank 4:50:48
2 Simone Stortoni (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox 0:00:30
3 Xavier Tondo Volpini (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:00:36
4 Evgeni Petrov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:49
5 John Gadret (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:55
6 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:00:56
7 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone
8 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana
9 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
10 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
11 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
12 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
13 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank
14 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox 0:01:12
15 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:16
16 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:01:22
17 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
18 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:27
19 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:01:33
20 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:01:50

General Classification @ stage 8
1 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 29:01:26
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:12
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:33
4 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:51
5 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:02:17
6 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
7 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:02:34
8 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:02:47
9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:03:08
10 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:03:09

limerickman said:
It kills me to admit this but Vino looks strong.

agreed. at least the tifosi are pissing on his parade. he may control the race to its end, but still find little respect for his efforts. strange world sometimes.