2010 Paris-Roubaix

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Mar 13, 2010.

1. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

i, for one, hope he resists this grand tour temptation. the manner in which he can dominate the one days and a few of the stage races, fabu has quite a future in front of him. he may very well do his career a disservice chasing the gt glory considering those that are already ahead of him--contador, andy schleck, wiggo, et. al. were i riis, i'd be begging him to continue putting the wins up in the one days and world tt's.

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yeah, I remember Riis riding that race in his Danish champions jersey.
    Good recall, Classic.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I tend to agree but for a different reason.

I don't think that Canc can compete against Contador in the GT's.
    He'd need to drop musclemass and weight.
    This would jeporadise his power for the shorter events.
    He could end up falling between two stools, if he tried going the GT route.

4. Maxiton

Maxiton New Member

Don't forget, though, that his cycling idol is none other than Miguel Indurain (at least according to his website) . . . In any event, who says that winning grand tours means losing one day races? Oh, I know current day conventional wisdom says that, but conventional wisdom clearly never met Cancellara. So, what if he could win both? Why not, hey? If it might be possible, I think he should try. (Though admittedly it is hard to see anyone consistently beating Contador, least of all such a big rider as Cancellara.) As Andrija says, he would simply need to transition slowly so as not to lose power. Can you imagine if he could do that? We might see him yet on the top step of the podium on the Champs-Élysées.

5. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

remember how he lost touch with the lead group, the chase group, the first chase group, and the broom wagon in last year's tdf when the road left the coast? it won't be as easy a transition for him to drop the weight and retain the power as his former coach thinks as it was for the chicken to improve his time trialling to mitigate his losses in that discipline. i think the number tossed around was something like fifteen to twenty pounds (?) for canc to have a chance. that is not a small amount.

6. Andrija

Andrija Member

It's been a while since cobbled classics ended, but I have to notice something regarding RVV - PR double...
    It's chocolate double... Only Swiss and Belgian riders did it. And I'm sure it's sweet taste of double, spiced up with bitter taste of (cocoa) cobbles.
    Switzerland has to start producing a good beer. The analogy would be complete then.
    Turn it inside out - it's bitter sweet double.

7. jamie72

jamie72 New Member

^^^ I think you've been been thinking about cycling too much lately.

8. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Beg to differ. Andy can't time trial, Wiggo has yet to prove he isn't a flash in the pan, and all those other guys--Sastre, Evans, Valverde--well, Cancellara has almost as much of a chance of beating Contador as they do.

9. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

yes, and spartacus can't climb the big ones. so spartacus drops weight to get his vam up but andy can't improve his itt or wiggo can't repeat the result? and as for sastre, evans, and valverde, they really haven't been piling up the gt palmares. all things being equal, canc's road to gt greatness will be harder than those that you've mentioned simply because canc hasn't any gt result worth mentioning, but the ones you've given down marks to have all performed admirably, if inconsistently, in gt's.

10. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

True, but Cancellara's riding shows upward trajectory and the others are going--uh, you tell me. Well, Andy is young enough to deserve some benefit of the doubt.

I know it's a long shot but it's not inconceivable and I like to be surprised. Regardless of what he does in the GTs, Cancellara should go after the hour while his power is still on.

11. mattp1975

mattp1975 New Member

The hour would be a good shout, unfortunately it's status has severely diminished since the UCI distinguished between the "absolute" and "athletes" hour. Still maybe Canc is the man to put it back on the map.