2010 Roubaix 2.0....Dropped once...Should I stay away?...$500

mfs5014

Feb 28, 2012
Hi All,

Can you let me know if this looks like a good deal for a n00b road biker. I signed up for a Tri and also want to get into the sport. Buyer asking $500 usd. How wary would you be of a once dropped bike. I would take it to a LBS for evaluation before final purchase though. I am 6' 1/2" 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 roadbike. bike size is 58, Bike was dropped one time and has some scuffs on the left shifter but does not affect it's operation, also has some light scratch's here and there but overall bike is in great shape. has computer,frame pump, bottle cages.
COLOR(S) White
MAIN FRAME NEW Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum, Integrated 1 1/8" head tube, Standard seat tube & BB shell, Double water bottle mounts
REAR TRIANGLE Fuji Altair 2 aluminum chain stays, Forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger
FORK FC-770 Fuji Bonded Carbon Integrated w/ 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer
CRANKSET FSA Omega Compact MegaExo w/ Integrated spindle, 34/50T 7075 AL outer rings
BOTTOM BRACKET FSA MegaExo Exterior Bearing System
PEDALS Nil
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Tiagra
SHIFTERS Shimano Tiagra shifter/brake, 18-speed Flight Deck compatible
CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 11-25T 9-speed
CHAIN KMC HG-73
WHEELSET Alex AKX-R3.0, 700c clincher
TIRES Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 23c
TUBES Kenda presta
BRAKE SET Tektro R-520 dual pivot w/Cartridge Pads
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Tiagra STI
HEADSET Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road
HANDLEBAR Fuji CGC Double Butted 6061, 31.8mm w/Anatomical drops
STEM Fuji CGC Alloy 3D forged, +/-7 degree
TAPE/GRIP Fuji custom cork wrap
SADDLE Fuji CGC Racing
SEAT POST Fuji CGC Butted Oversize Alloy, 250mm
SEAT CLAMP Fuji Superlite Alloy, 31.8mm Laser Etched

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I have a 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro and I've dropped it and even crashed and its still going just fine. I bought that last year for $800. In my opinion if there is no significant damage I would go for it. Just as long as it fits of course.

What happened to the Giant?

Price is a little steep, but with accessories, what the hell? 2010 Tiagra and the Roubaix frame are good kit, and 58 cm should be a solid platform for getting a good fit.

Make sure you check it over well, especially where the chain stays join the bottom bracket. If you're not sure, check it out with someone who's been around bikes for awhile, most experienced people will be able to spot a problem.

Thanks for your input on the other thread bobcat. The giant deal is still available but located in another city a couple hours away so I was arranging for a friend to bring it up so I can take a look. I found this deal after that and since it was so much newer and what looked to be a better bike for not much more (although no pedals or shoes included) this might be a better option. I was going to go Sunday to the lbs to have it looked at.

Assuming both bikes check out (relative to their age meaning the 2010 may be better and way less miles) which one would you pursue? I should be able to negotiate a few bucks off either. The added cost of shoes and pedals and a tuneup ( although the seller of the Fuji said he services all his own bikes and mechanics are perfect) is making me sweat a bit for someone who has never owned a road bike.

The guidance you all have been offering really is much appreciated. I just want to make the right decision. Thanks.

You should get the one that fits best, rides best, best fits your budget, and looks best to you. In terms of quality there is nothing to really separate the two bikes.

Originally Posted by mfs5014 .

Assuming both bikes check out (relative to their age meaning the 2010 may be better and way less miles) which one would you pursue? I should be able to negotiate a few bucks off either. The added cost of shoes and pedals and a tuneup ( although the seller of the Fuji said he services all his own bikes and mechanics are perfect) is making me sweat a bit for someone who has never owned a road bike.
Alienator is right about fit and feel, but aside from that, I'm leaning toward the Fuji. It's a sportier frame, Tiagra 4500 really is a neat drivetrain, pretty much like 105 but for 9-speed, and I favor compact double over triple cranks based on principle. Also, at t two years old, it's more likely the bike will be ready to ride and less likely to need serious maintenance in the near future.

One thing to check with the Fuji is the hubs. I've seen the lock nuts on more than a few Alex hubs come loose over time if they haven't been checked since leaving the factory. Wheels should spin freely with no side-to-side wobble or obvious rumble from the bearings. And when you remove a wheel, the locknuts should not spin on the axle. Symptoms do not necessarily indicatetrouble, just something that should be fixed.