2010 Shimano 105 vs. 2012 Shimano Tiagra

Geoff Cox

Mar 1, 2012
Hey everyone,
As I'm not the biggest tech head going around in terms of bikes, and my research efforts have been fruitless, I'm needing help comparing the 2010 105 groupset to the 2012 Tiagra.
All I know so far is that they are similar in technology, but am needing more info regarding weight differences etc etc as I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Specialized Tarmac and subbing out the Tiagra for the older 105.
Cheers

Geoff Cox said:
As I'm not the biggest tech head going around in terms of bikes, and my research efforts have been fruitless, I'm needing help comparing the 2010 105 groupset to the 2012 Tiagra. All I know so far is that they are similar in technology, but am needing more info regarding weight differences etc etc as I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Specialized Tarmac and subbing out the Tiagra for the older 105.
The 2010 Shimano 105 gruppo weight about 2481g (Includes rear derailleur w/ short cage, front derailleur for double, brakes, dual control shift levers, compact crank set, 12-25 cassette, and chain). the 2012 Tiagra gruppo weighs about 2686g with the components included above. So even with slightly different components, the weight difference is going to be on the order of 200g or so. In terms of performance you may not see a big difference. In 2012, Tiagra gains an extra cog and is now 10spd like 105. There are some slightly different materials which account for the majority of the weight difference, and the 105 gruppo wil have slightly better finish.. 105 should be slightly more durable. If the 105 group is new, I'd certainly go for that. If it's not new, the decision is going to have to account for the condition of the 105 group. If you currently own the 105 group and are still happy with it, I'd certainly install it on the new bike and eBay the brand new Tiagra bits. You'd could then use the money from the sales to buy whatever else you might want: new wheels, prostitute, lottery tickets, or whatever. Keep in mind that the difference between the two gruppos is going to be really small. Your preference will be the biggest factor.

And the new Tiagra rear derailleur will handle 3 more teeth on the cassette.