2010 TDF Stage 6 Renshaw and Cav vs Everyone else

PE10

Jun 15, 2010
I am wondering what happened to the Garmin train in the final straight to the finish. They looked to be unorganized and not aggressive enough. Just as yesterday Cav has been the recipient if a great leadout man (not train). It seems as though Renshaw and Cav are using the other teams "trains" and just bullying their way in the final meters. Like Cav said, they're racing like Juniors again!

Yeah, I don't get Garmin's tactics either. Why would Tyler grab Cav's wheel when he knows from long experience that he's not going to be faster? Why not tuck in behind Hunter and watch Renshaw, then try and go a split second before Cav makes his break?

Worked for Petacchi.

I think the key man here is Renshaw. He's just on fire right now. I think that these other sprinters have to find some way to maybe start their sprint earlier so that Cav can't suck on Renshaw's wheel until a few meters from the line when there's not much real estate left, then attempt to come off Cav's draft and generate enough power to pass him for the win. If you watch yesterday's finish, Renshaw was leaning into Thor fighting for position. I think that HTC has used the media scrutiny as fuel and have a point to prove now.

Petacchi showed the rest of the field how to beat Cav but it appears no one has caught on. He's an "old school" sprinter who takes a bit longer to build up to speed sprinting from 400m instead of 200m. He timed his sprints so that by the time he was at full speed the others were just getting off the wheels of the lead-outs and trying to catch him.

I agree with Doc R, Farrar's gotta start his sprint earlier than Cav and get out in front before Renshaw fires the Manx Missile.