2010 Tour de France: Stage 1, Rotterdam - Brussels, 224 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2010 Tour de France: Stage 1, Rotterdam - Brussels, 224 km

This stage is very flat stage that passes through the islands of Zeeland before heading south into Belgium before the finish in the nation's capital. Wind could play a part in this stage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58O9LFFN5IY]YouTube - Le parcours 2010 : découvrez l'étape 1[/ame]

Stage Map
View attachment 12456

Stage Profile
View attachment 12459

Last km of the stage
View attachment 12458

Current General classification after prologue
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 0:10:00
2 Tony Martin (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:10
3 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:20
4 Lance Armstrong (USA) Team Radioshack 0:00:22
5 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:00:23
6 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:00:27
7 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:28
8 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack
9 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:00:32
10 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:00:35
11 Brent Bookwalter (USA) BMC Racing Team
12 Adriano Malori (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
13 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Team Radioshack
14 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
15 Ruben Plaza Molina (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:36
16 Niki Terpstra (Ned) Team Milram
17 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team Radioshack
18 Vasili Kiryienka (Blr) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:38
19 Alexander Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana
20 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo
21 Robert Hunter (RSA) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:39
22 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
23 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
24 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana 0:00:40
25 David Zabriskie (USA) Garmin - Transitions
26 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha
27 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:41
28 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team
29 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team HTC - Columbia
30 Kristjan Koren (Slo) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:42

2010 Tour de France Stage 1 News

Petacchi Dodges Crashes, Wins Tour de France Stage One
Petacchi, nicknamed “Ale-Jet” because of his speed in the prime of his career four to five years ago, showed that he still knew how to fly, when the last of three crashes in the final two kilometers wiped out half the field, leaving Team Lampre’s veteran sprinter in among a handful of leadout riders, a few hundred yards from the finish line.
Link: Epoch Times - Petacchi Dodges Crashes, Wins Tour de France Stage One

Hansen out of Tour de France
Adam Hansen (HTC-Columbia) did not start today’s second stage of the Tour de France due to injuries sustained in a crash on the road to Brussels yesterday. The Australian broke his left collarbone and shoulder after crashing 60km into the Tour’s first road stage.
Link: Hansen Out Of Tour De France | Cyclingnews.com

Dogged British Cyclist's Road Crash On Tour
The 33-year-old was sent crashing when a dog ran into a crowd of cyclists during the early stages of the 223.5km road stage from the Netherlands to Belgium.
Link: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/St...wn_Off_His_Bike_After_Ruff_Rider_Invades_Race

Glorious ride for Wynants
Wynants was part of a three-rider escape which got off as soon as the start flag was waved. The 28-year-old followed when Dutchman Lars Boom (Rabobank) jumped, accompanied by Alan Perez (Euskaltel). "It wasn't really planned to break away today, but Lars Boom came to me before the start and asked if I wanted to go on a breakaway with him. I said, 'Why not?'," Wynants recalled at the finish.
Link: Glorious Ride For Wynants | Cyclingnews.com

Bloody face of the tour
Australian Adam Hansen will not start stage two of the Tour de France due to broken bones after the crash-filled first stage, which was won by Italian Alessandro Petacchi.
Link: Tour de France 2010 | Stage one | Rotterdam to Brussels

Stage was homage to legend Eddy Merckx
On Sunday, on the first road stage of the Tour de France the riders enjoyed splendid weather but it was raining crashes. We all expected a mass sprint but the finale was a real massacre. One of the big gun sprinters, Mark Cavendish, didn't even get the chance to show his nice new white teeth as he crashed out in the last 3km.
Link: Stage was homage to legend Eddy Merckx | The Australian

Armstrong avoids crashes at Tour de France
Armstrong has had his share of crashes since returning to competition last season, breaking a collarbone last year and injuring his left elbow in May, but avoided the three crashes Sunday that marred the 138.9-mile stage between Rotterdam and Brussels.
Link: The Associated Press: Armstrong avoids crashes at Tour de France

Mayhem ends Adam Hansen's Tour
The 29-year-old from Cairns and riding his first Grand Boucle for HTC-Columbia, broke his left collarbone and shoulder after crashing heavily less than 60kms into the stage. Hansen, defying the pain, got back on his bike and rode to the finish.
Link: Mayhem ends Adam Hansen's Tour | The Australian

Tour stage 'beyond dangerous': Renshaw
Australia's Mark Renshaw described conditions created by encroaching crowds and eager riders as "beyond dangerous" after snatching second in a crash-riddled first stage of the Tour de France.
Renshaw's countryman and HTC-Columbia teammate Adam Hansen was among the many in the peleton to crash and his tour is over after suffering broken bones in his shoulder.
Link: Tour stage 'beyond dangerous': Renshaw

HTC-Columbia beset by crashes
Team HTC-Columbia was hit by a number of crashes on stage 1 of the Tour de France on Sunday, with Mark Cavendish, Michael Rogers and Adam Hansen all hitting the deck. Hansen came off worst, finishing the stage but later being taken to hospital with a suspected broken collarbone.
Link: HTC-Columbia Beset By Crashes | Cyclingnews.com

Plucky Pliushin waves Moldova's colours at Tour
For the first time in the history of the Tour de France, the Moldovan national champion's jersey has been seen at the front of the race.
Link: Plucky Pliushin Waves Moldova's Colours At Tour | Cyclingnews.com

Petacchi back to Tour success after six-year absence
Alessandro Petacchi hadn’t won a stage in the Tour de France since 2003 and surprisingly the most successful sprinter of the last decade has only raced fourteen days (in 2003 and 2004) at the world’s biggest race.
Link: Petacchi Back To Tour Success After Six-year Absence | Cyclingnews.com

Cav realistic on chances
Mark Cavendish has played down suggestions that he must surpass last year's six stage wins at the Tour de France to land the green jersey. Cavendish will have his first opportunity to add to his 10 career stage wins in cycling's most prestigious event on Sunday when he takes to the road, leaving Holland for Belgium.
Link: Sky Sports | Cycling | News | Cav realistic on chances

Cavendish ready to deliver at Tour
Britain's Mark Cavendish says he has recovered from his spectacular crash last month that drew the ire of fellow riders and is aiming for the best sprinter's green jersey in the Tour de France. Cavendish, who won six stages during last year's Tour, has had a disappointing season so far but said he is in good form and will try his best to claim as many stages as possible.
Link: Cavendish ready to deliver at Tour - Taiwan News Online

Tour de France Sprints Set to Please Tour Spectators
The Tour de France, considered the main event of any cycling season, is about more than the general classification title and wearing its yellow jersey. Among the other titles up for grabs is the green jersey of the points classification category, which is usually claimed by a sprinter.
Link: Tour de France Sprints Set to Please Tour Spectators | Bettor.com

Sprint squadron out to stop Cavendish on stage one
A determined Tour de France sprint peloton will be hoping to do everything in its power to stop Britain's Mark Cavendish opening his account on the first stage of the race this year.
Isle of Man rider Cavendish grabbed an incredible six victories last year, taking his tally to 10 having won four stages on his second race participation in 2008.
Link: AFP: Sprint squadron out to stop Cavendish on stage one

This could be a tough one to predict given that the crosswinds in the first half of the stage could rip the peloton to pieces. However, since the cross winds will mainly be an issue right at the beginning of the stage and everyone and their dog knows they're coming I think there will be a few moves played out and then the whole thing will come back together leading to a bunch sprint at the end. After all, tomorrow and Tuesday are much more important days to have you team rip everyone to bits.

So, with that in mind my prediction is:

1. Cavendish
2. Farrar
3. McEwen

Cav because he's the fastest, Farrar because he's strong and McEwen because he'll find some way to hitch himself onto the HTC train and take full advantage of their lead out.

There will be crosswind on the coast, which will turn in tailwind when they turn inland. But, as Eldrack said, it's too far from the finish and everybody will be cautious.
Some 20 - 30 k's before the finish line there will be another change of direction, that's much better opportunity for attack, but it's inland and wind could be weaker. Also, after whole day in wind I think everybody will be aware of danger near the end.

1) Cavendish
2) Boasson Hagen
3) Hushovd

Whats worse, vevuzelas or Tour de France spectators who don't feel the need to put their dog on a leash? Hope the riders who went down in that crash are OK. The Versus guys assured us the dog was unharmed.

pennstater said:
Whats worse, vevuzelas or Tour de France spectators who don't feel the need to put their dog on a leash

I quite like the vevuzelas now ;) Adam Hansen's collar bone looks broken.

I got go with Cav on this one (team needs to be organized though), followed by Farrar then Freire, maybe Thor.

Hehehehe.

The shots of the cyclists at the side of the road with their kids trailers, pedalling along with the peloton, are gas:D
The kids legs are flying round!

Three front runners - will they stay away?

Andrija said:
There will be crosswind on the coast, which will turn in tailwind when they turn inland. But, as Eldrack said, it's too far from the finish and everybody will be cautious.

You look at the profile and think "boring stage" but after the mayhem in the Giro, I don't know....could be a demo derby just like that.

Demo derby is continuing.
Starring Cavendish. Also starring Freire.

It looks that poor season, so far, left mark on Cavendish.
Weak start of his Green jersey campaign. This could be nice gain for Hushovd.

Cav taken out on the sharp right hander before the end, Freire down in that crash as well. Then a massive pileup in the middle of the road that halted nearly the entire peloton! Crash tastic, don't think anyone was injured.

Of the remnants (about 30?) Petacchi takes the win over Renshaw. Hushovd third! Funny how Hushovd is slower than Cav's lead out man but he's got 26 points over Cav in the green jersey.

That could be it for Cavendish's green jersey fight. With so few sprint finishes in this years TdF you just can't afford to miss out on any. He'll have to dominate the remaining sprints like last year if he wants to win it. And scrap for points on the road.

Eldrack said:
That could be it for Cavendish's green jersey fight. With so few sprint finishes in this years TdF you just can't afford to miss out on any. He'll have to dominate the remaining sprints like last year if he wants to win it. And scrap for points on the road.
Soooo do we think Cav just lacks interest in scrapping for points on the road, or does he lack the ability?

I tend to think the latter. I've never seen Cav do ANYTHING other than win a sprint finish....at which, he's obviously one of the best in the world.

Really, I can see Renshaw sneaking up and making a run at the green if Cav comes up craps again.

Geez, Merckx even looks better than Hinault.

I didn't know the Badger knew how to smile.

Chavez said:
Really, I can see Renshaw sneaking up and making a run at the green if Cav comes up craps again.

Renshaw would have a nice lead-out man in Cavendish:D

I'm thinking Cav's ego would prevent that situation from occuring...

pennstater said:
Renshaw would have a nice lead-out man in Cavendish:D

I'm thinking Cav's ego would prevent that situation from occuring...

I wouldn't be surprised if Cavendish goes home during the first week.

Was bummed by the finish, was really hoping to see the much hyped Cavendish vs. Farrar sprint to the line.

CAVO WILL SMASH THEM UP IN A SPRINT IM SURE HE WILL WIN THE GREEN JERSEY IN PARIS AND WIN THAT STAGE TO :D