2010 Tour de France: Stage 12, Bourg-de-Peage - Mende, 210.5 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2010 Tour de France: Stage 12, Bourg-de-Peage - Mende, 210.5 km

This stage is hilly, with two second-category and three third-category climbs. The Col de la Croix Neuve comes 2 km (1.2 mi) from the finish, followed by a brief flat section.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_BS7pvSwo]YouTube - Analysis of the stage 12[/ame]

Stage Map
View attachment 12533

Stage Profile
View attachment 12535

The Last Km's
View attachment 12534

The Climbs

Km 31.0: Côte de Saint-Barthélémy-le-Plain -> 10.7 km climb @ 3.1 % - Category 3
Km 59.0: Col des Nonières (NONIERES) -> 5.7 km climb @ 3.8 % - Category 3
Km 96.0: Suc de Montivernoux -> 13.7 km climb @ 4.4 % - Category 2
Km 133.0: Côte de la Mouline -> 3.9 km climb @ 5 % - Category 3
Km 208.5: Côte de la Croix-Neuve (Montée Laurent Jalabert) -> 3.1 km climb @ 10.1 % - Category 2

General classification before stage 12

1 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 53:43:25
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:00:41
3 Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:02:45
4 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 0:02:58
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:03:31
6 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack 0:03:59
7 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 0:04:22
8 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:04:41
9 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:05:08
10 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:05:09

Stage 12 News

Hesjedal pays harsh price in bid for historic stage win
Victoria's Ryder Hesjedal dared to dream yesterday he might become the first Canadian to win a stage in the Tour de France in 12 years. "I was looking for a stage win. You never know," said Hesjedal, who was looking to match the feat accomplished by Steve Bauer of Fenwick, Ont., in 1988.
Link: Hesjedal pays harsh price in bid for historic stage win

Contador cuts 10 seconds off Schleck's lead
Contador, the Tour de France's defending champion, showed in Stage 12 why he remains the favorite even if Schleck will take a small lead into the decisive Pyrenees stages, the first of which will be contested Sunday. Loafing along with Schleck one minute, then going as hard as he could with the man from Luxembourg unable to hold his wheel, the Spaniard cut 10 seconds off the 41-second spread that separated them when the hot, hilly day through the southern edge of the Massif Central began.
Link: Contador cuts 10 seconds off Schleck's lead in Tour | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Schleck longing for Pyrenees after Pistolero show
On stage twelve of the Tour de France to Mende, defending champion Alberto Contador took revenge for the time he lost on Andy Schleck last Sunday at Morzine-Avoriaz. After a long hot day on winding and hilly roads, the stage finished on the short steep climb towards the runway of Mende, where yellow jersey wearer Schleck could not follow Contador's acceleration. The Luxembourg rider wasn't on Contador's wheel when he attacked and he was unable to close him down. The gap between the two protagonists of the general classification is now down to just 31 seconds.
Link: Schleck Longing For Pyrenees After Pistolero Show | Cyclingnews.com

Contador makes big inroads
IF THERE were ever any doubts that defending champion Alberto Contador could distance Andy Schleck in this year’s Tour de France, they were swiftly dispelled on yesterday’s torturous finishing climb of the Col de Mende. Averaging ten per cent, the ramp is one of the steepest on this year’s Tour and saw a serious acceleration by the defending Tour champion when Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha) jumped clear two kilometres from the finish.
Link: Contador makes big inroads - The Irish Times - Sat, Jul 17, 2010

Contador's burst heaps pressure on Schleck
A late attack yesterday by Alberto Contador may have gained the overwhelming favourite a mere 10 seconds on race leader Andy Schleck, but, as warning shots go for the fast-approaching Pyrenees, the Spaniard's move could hardly have been more effective. Three kilometres from the summit of the short but agonisingly steep climb to Mende airfield, Contador ripped out of the pack. Schleck tried his best to respond, but he was at a distinct disadvantage against the featherweight Contador. In less than a dozen pedal strokes, last year's winner was able to open up a margin of nearly 30 seconds on Schleck before being forced to ease off and settle into a steadier rhythm.
Link: Cycling: Contador's burst heaps pressure on Schleck - Others, More Sports - The Independent

Leipheimer fights to defend sixth overall
Lance Armstrong eased up on the steep climb to the Mende aerodrome, finishing 3:35 behind Joaquin Rodriguez and Alberto Contador, but it was still a good day for Team RadioShack, with Andreas Klöden in the break of the day and Levi Leipheimer fighting strongly to defend his sixth place overall.
Link: Leipheimer Fights To Defend Sixth Overall | Cyclingnews.com

Alberto Contador Turns On the Jets in Late Climb
On a steep hill heading into the finish line of Friday's 131.5-mile 12th stage, Alberto Contador, last year's Tour de France winner and a rider famous for his uncanny uphill accelerations, dropped Andy Schleck, leader of this year's race. Mr. Contador clawed back only 10 seconds from his rival and remains in second place. The two remain overwhelming favorites in this year's race. But it was enough to force Mr. Schleck's Saxo Bank team to play some defense.
Link: Tour de France 2010, Stage 12: Alberto Contador Turns On the Jets in Late Climb - WSJ.com

Farrar out of Tour de France
Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Transitions) finally conceded defeat in his battle to stay in the Tour de France during Friday's twelfth stage. Farrar has ridden with a broken wrist since a crash on stage two, and even managed third in the bunch sprint on Thursday, but he packed mid-stage after being dropped early in the company of Lars Boom (Rabobank).
Link: Farrar Out Of Tour De France | Cyclingnews.com

Rodríguez now has his sights on the GC
Joaquin Rodríguez stated before the Tour de France that his goals were to win a stage and finish as high up on GC as he possibly could. Both were lofty objectives for a Tour debutant, even one as experienced as the 31-year-old Catalan, but his stage 12 victory at Mende achieved one of those goals and also set him well on the way towards the second as he moved up to eighth place overall and marked himself out as one of the riders to watch in the Pyrenees.
Link: Rodríguez Now Has His Sights On The GC | Cyclingnews.com

Stage 12 winner of Tour de France 2010 is Joaquim Rodriguez from Spain
The results for July 16th, stage 12, of the Tour de France ended with Joaquim Rodriguez from Spain becoming today’s winner. Stage 12 was hilly and covered 131 miles going from Bourg-de-Péage to Mende.
Link: Stage 12 winner of Tour de France 2010 is Joaquim Rodriguez from Spain | Digital News Report

Contador lands psychological blow with Mende attack
Alberto Contador (Astana) was beaten by compatriot Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha) on the runway above Mende but he gained ten precious seconds on Andy Schleck (Saxo Bank). More importantly he landed a physical and psychological body blow by proving that he could accelerate away from Schleck on the steep climb to the finish.
Link: Contador Lands Psychological Blow With Mende Attack | Cyclingnews.com

Hesjedal tests his limits on road to Mende
An exhausted Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin-Transitions) crossed the line at the airfield above Mende, having conceded some time on the final climb, but with no regrets about the huge effort he expended on a stage that many described as the toughest so far of the 2010 Tour de France.
Link: Hesjedal Tests His Limits On Road To Mende | Cyclingnews.com

This stage should be interested. Whilst the little climb at the end is 3km long it goes up 300 meters and I know from experience that climbs this steep can absolutely kill you if you're not feeling totally on form. It'll definitely favour the strengths of Schleck and Contador, the lighter riders who can accelerate easily.

I'm guessing they'll hit the climb at some speed but after about 500 meters everyone will be crawling along, leaving it wide open to attacks. Schleck will go first, Contador will follow and everyone else is going to be dropped. It's not long enough to open up big time gaps but Schleck has to try and we could see people losing up to a minute here.

The stage will be won by a breakaway though. So it's hard to pick the stage winner! My random punt is going to be... Vino. Since he's in the break.

Hard to say on this one, a lot of climbing but nothing really steep. Still it should be ahrd day in the saddle.I could see Vino and Kloden working it out to stay in front. Really surprised Jens in not in the break.

Looking forward to this stage today.

It will be a tough stage, with plenty of climbing.

Who here remembers Laurent Jalabert racing here in 1995 TDF when Indurain and Banesto panicked and tried manfully to rein in Jalabert on Bastille Day?
That was a great stage.

I think today could be a Vino type day.

Freire might do something.

this is certainly an interesting tour. plenty of drama and all that.

astana playing with saxo by having vino go forward. impressive surge again from contador which andy contained but couldn't remedy. warning shot over the saxo bow for the pyrenees? or does contador go back to sucking wheel til the itt?

I think today Contador effectively said to Schleck 'I've got your measure & can put time into you whenever I want'. He's playing mind games & I reckon he'll nail Schleck on stages 14 & 17 (the mountain top finishes). Contador is a tough little blighter who knows exactly what he's doing.

Hard to know what to make of this stage result.

AC did look impressive on the final climb but it is a short sharp climb and Schleck doesn't usually favour those climbs.
His preference is for longer less steep climbs.

I thought for one moment that my tip of the day, Vino, might just do it.

Looked at Armstrong and dare I say it, are we seeing him cycling this tour clean????

Kloden couldn't go with the break when the raod went upward.

Me thinks the era is slowly changing with Kloden/Hincapie/LA and co slippin away.

Regarding Lance Armstrong I dont really know what to day. He said before the Tour that he was in better shape than last year, so you would expect him to be at least among the top 3-5 riders, but hell no, he loses several minutes everyday!!! :eek::eek:

limerickman said:
Me thinks the era is slowly changing with Kloden/Hincapie/LA and co slippin away.

Agree that it's good to see some performances that give the appearance of being within human capabilities - i.e. Lance looking tired...

sopas said:
Regarding Lance Armstrong I dont really know what to day. He said before the Tour that he was in better shape than last year, so you would expect him to be at least among the top 3-5 riders, but hell no, he loses several minutes everyday!!! :eek::eek:

i'm confused, disheartened, at a loss for words with all of this too and have no idea of what is going on with him. i just hope he can pull off a stage victory or two, proving once and for all he is and forever will remain the royalty coming out of his last tour that he was in the previous 8 of them.

other than for him, i don't really care too much for professional cycling.

roadhouse said:
i'm confused, disheartened, at a loss for words with all of this too and have no idea of what is going on with him. i just hope he can pull off a stage victory or two, proving once and for all he is and forever will remain the royalty coming out of his last tour that he was in the previous 8 of them.

other than for him, i don't really care too much for professional cycling.

We kinda gathered that.

imho, the fair battle between AC and AS this year is much more exciting than the media infused drama between AC and LA last year.

forget LA, he is yesterday.

roadhouse said:
hey, you said it brother, the days of the true lords of cycling are over.

That's not what i said.

Don't let the smack your **** on the way out.

jmpsmash said:
imho, the fair battle between AC and AS this year is much more exciting than the media infused drama between AC and LA last year.

forget LA, he is yesterday.

It's been an excellent race - for lots of reasons.

The weather's been superb.
The emergence of Schleck as a real contender is excellent.
Great to see a lot of reigning title holders and former holders racing.
The competition for the Green points jersey has been fascinating.
The French riders winning stages.
We had a reigning world champion assume the yellow jersey.
We had stages covering the historic routes of Paris Roubaix, Flanders etc.

It's been an excellent tour so far.

limerickman said:
It's been an excellent race - for lots of reasons.

The weather's been superb.
The emergence of Schleck as a real contender is excellent.
Great to see a lot of reigning title holders and former holders racing.
The competition for the Green points jersey has been fascinating.
The French riders winning stages.
We had a reigning world champion assume the yellow jersey.
We had stages covering the historic routes of Paris Roubaix, Flanders etc.

It's been an excellent tour so far.

Just a pity about all the broken bones and other injuries caused by some stupid decisions with regards to the route.