2010 Tour de France: Stage 13, Rodez - Revel, 196 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2010 Tour de France: Stage 13, Rodez - Revel, 196 km

This is classified as a flat stage, though it incorporates five climbs, two in the third category and three in the fourth.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHUmUox8dGk]YouTube - Analysis of the stage 13[/ame]

Stage Map
View attachment 12536

Stage Proflie
View attachment 12537

The last Km's
View attachment 12538

The Climbs

Km 24.0: Côte de Mergals -> 3.7 km climb @ 3.8 % - Category 4
Km 31.5: Côte de Bégon -> 3.1 km climb @ 4.5 % - Category 4
Km 72.0: Côte d'Ambialet -> 5.2 km climb @ 4.6 % - Category 3
Km 125.0 : Côte de Puylaurens -> 4.3 km climb @ 3.9 % - Category 4
Km 188.5: Côte de Saint-Ferréol -> 1.9 km climb @ 6 % - Category 3

General classification before stage 13

1 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 58:42:01
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:00:31
3 Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:02:45
4 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 0:02:58
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:03:31
6 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack 0:04:06
7 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 0:04:27
8 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:04:58
9 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:05:02
10 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo 0:05:16

Stage 13 News

Cavendish takes pride from second place in Revel
Mark Cavendish (HTC-Columbia) was disappointed not to win in Revel after he and his HTC-Columbia team rode strongly on the late climb. But he was able to take pride from again proving that he is the fastest finisher in the Tour de France whenever sprinters face off at the line.
Link: Cavendish Takes Pride From Second Place In Revel | Cyclingnews.com

Sastre hopeful ahead of Pyrenees stages
But Spain's 2008 winner of the world's biggest bike race said he is hopeful of teasing his stuttering climbing legs into production mode in a bid to relaunch his bid for a top finish.
"When we previewed the Pyrenees before the Tour, we knew it was going to be hard. I am trying to stay calm. I don't know what to expect," said Sastre, who lies 15th overall at 7min 34sec behind Luxembourg's race leader Andy Schleck. "I felt good on the climb at Mende (on stage 12) and the team is riding well. Tomorrow (Sunday) is a true mountain stage, so that will tell us a lot.
Link: Sastre hopeful ahead of Pyrenees stages - SuperSport - Cycling

Vino bounces back after disappointment of Mende
Twenty-four hours after what had seemed like a stage-winning attack at Mende had been snuffed out by his own team leader, Astana’s road captain Alexander Vinokourov celebrated what he described as “a victory that ranks among my very best” in Revel.
Link: Vino Bounces Back After Disappointment Of Mende | Cyclingnews.com

Bold Vinokourov wins 13th stage at Tour de France
Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhstan won the 13th stage of Tour de France with his brave solo breakaway at the end of the race on Saturday. Vinokourov, who only returned to racing last year after a doping ban, rode with the main pack before dashing out by himself at the end of the 196.0km ride from Rodez to Revel. Vinokourov finished the race in 4 hours, 26 minutes, 26 seconds.
Link: Bold Vinokourov wins 13th stage at Tour de France

Petacchi retakes green jersey in Revel
Alessandro Petacchi (Lampre-Farnese Vini) stood gasping for breath just after the finish line in Revel as he waited to hear if he had scored enough points to retake the green jersey from main rival Thor Hushovd (Cervelo TestTeam).
Link: Petacchi Retakes Green Jersey In Revel | Cyclingnews.com

Vinokourov wins Tour's Stage 13; Schleck still in yellow
Alexandre Vinokourov emphatically took Stage 13 of the Tour de France on Saturday, while Andy Schleck maintained a 31- second overall lead over his closest rival, Alberto Contador. Vinokourov, who returned to cycling's most prestigious event for the first time since being banned for blood doping back in 2007, pulled away from the pack late in the race and finished the 196-kilometer trek from Rodez to Revel in four hours, 26 minutes and 26 seconds.
Link: Vinokourov wins Tour's Stage 13; Schleck still in yellow | Other Sports | Sports | Toronto Sun

Tour's 13th stage suited to breakaways
Those riders with ambitions of only a stage win on this year's Tour de France will have a final chance on the 196-km 13th stage from Rodez to the foot of the Pyrenees in Revel.
While contenders for the overall classification will probably wait for Sunday's first Pyrenees stage, the profile, with five hills, does not entirely suit the sprinters either.
Tour history shows that the last four stages finishing in Revel were won by an escapee.
As a result, spots in the day's breakaways will probably be hard-earned as a collective move will have the chance to go all the way.
Link: Cycling-Tour's 13th stage suited to breakaways - Yahoo! Eurosport

Wiggins' wise take on Tour performance
Despite not flying the Team Sky flag as high as he'd like at this point in the Tour de France, Bradley Wiggins hasn't written off his race this year - rather he's focusing on his strengths to help deliver something in the final week.
Link: Wiggins' Wise Take On Tour Performance | Cyclingnews.com

Van den Broeck gaining momentum
As the Tour de France rolls towards its tough final week in the Pyrenees Jurgen Van den Broeck (Omega Pharma-Lotto) lies in fifth position in the general classification, currently trailing leader Andy Schleck (Saxo Bank) by 3:51. His strong performance on the short, steep climb to the runway in Mende strengthened that position as the 26-year-old finished in fourth place, gaining time on rivals Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack) and Robert Gesink (Rabobank).
Link: Van Den Broeck Gaining Momentum | Cyclingnews.com

Hushovd views Petacchi as main rival for green
Long breaks through mountainous terrain are becoming a speciality for Thor Hushovd (Cervélo TestTeam). Last year he earned vital points in his green jersey battle with Mark Cavendish with a long escape through the Alps on the stage to Le Grand Bornand.
Link: Hushovd Views Petacchi As Main Rival For Green | Cyclingnews.com

Whilst there is a cat 3 climb just before the finish it's not that bad (around the same challenge as the last climb in MSR?) so whilst I'm sure a few attacks will go clear on it I think this will come down to a bunch sprint. I'm picking Cavendish again, I think he can still win without Renshaw although it might not be with as wide a margin today!

I think Cavendish won't take this one. HTC train will need some time to organize without Renshaw. It should finish in bunch sprint but I hope Chavanel or Kolobnev or someone else will try something on that last climb.

Bravo Vino!
If there was a pro cyclist I could be a fan of, he would be it.
His attacking style is inspiring.
Good to se him and Contador hugging after the stage. Genuine appreciation from Contador for a job well done...
Stark contrast from a year ago for Contador - think Lance gave Contador a big hug at any time during the Tour last year???? Neither do I...

Excellent win by Vino, powerful attack and then he took full advantage of the disorganisation int he bunch behind.

Cav won the bunch sprint... no team mates of his in sight but he's so much faster than everyone else he still won by half a length. He could be looking at 2 more stage wins before the Tour is out! Ale Jet back in Green.

I don't know.
Vino.

Seeing a man who has served a doping man, win as he did at LBL and now today, doesn't fill me with admiration.

It only raises the age old question - "is what we're seeing, clean?"

Nice win from Vino.

I'm getting fed up to the back teeth with Armstrong stinking out this Tour with his crappy attitude. He's not even trying. I saw footage of him fannying about at the back of the Peleton treating the whole thing as though it was a sunday afternoon leisure ride. There was no attempt to do anything for the so called team leader, Leipheimer. If he can't be bothered he should pack up, go home & see his lawyers.

Armstrong is in a domestiques role. He can afford to lose time. It's more constructive for him to drop back when the going gets tough and save his legs so he can race for Levi in the mountains or go for a stage win of his own.

On another note, Armstrong crashed again today. Man can't keep himself off the floor.

limerickman said:
I don't know.
Vino.

Seeing a man who has served a doping man, win as he did at LBL and now today, doesn't fill me with admiration.

It only raises the age old question - "is what we're seeing, clean?"[/QUOTE]

Fair question.
However, don't single out Vino in that regard. If you're being honest with yourself, you can apply that sentiment to each and every pro rider in the peloton. You know very well that just because a rider hasn't been busted (yet, I must add) doesn't prove without question that he's riding clean...

tonyzackery said:
limerickman said:
I don't know.
Vino.

It only raises the age old question - "is what we're seeing, clean?"[/QUOTE]

Fair question.
However, don't single out Vino in that regard. If you're being honest with yourself, you can apply that sentiment to each and every pro rider in the peloton. You know very well that just because a rider hasn't been busted (yet, I must add) doesn't prove without question that he's riding clean...

I know he's served his ban...........but.

Agree to disagree on this.

gtm said:
I'm getting fed up to the back teeth with Armstrong stinking out this Tour with his crappy attitude. He's not even trying...

Despite Armstrong being some 21 minutes down at the beginning of this stage, could he engage in a long break and go unnoticed? My guess is he's saving his energy for the forthcoming mountain stages, and probably giving some time for the sore body parts to recover from the crashes.

tonyzackery said:
If you're being honest with yourself, you can apply that sentiment to each and every pro rider in the peloton. ...

Both past and present. As far as I'm concerned, everyone's clean unless proven unclean (despite my blood bag quip), even if they aren't - especially in years past. Anything else is speculative gossip and an annoyance.

limerickman said:
tonyzackery said:
I know he's served his ban...........but.

Agree to disagree on this.

Works for me.:cool:
Good lesson on how disagreement need not degenerate into name-calling and insults. Although that can be fun sometimes...:D

tonyzackery said:
limerickman said:
Works for me.:cool:
Good lesson on how disagreement need not degenerate into name-calling and insults. Although that can be fun sometimes...:D

Ye need to have a few insulting exchanges to keep posters on their toes:D:D:D

I served me dues here years ago insulting posters!:D

Eldrack said:
Armstrong is in a domestiques role. He can afford to lose time. It's more constructive for him to drop back when the going gets tough and save his legs so he can race for Levi in the mountains or go for a stage win of his own.

On another note, Armstrong crashed again today. Man can't keep himself off the floor.
Maybe he's putting some Michelob Ultra in the water bottle.

Fair play to Cav, people said he couldn't win without Renshaw. Brilliant sprint today..

tonyzackery said:
Bravo Vino!

Good to se him and Contador hugging after the stage. Genuine appreciation from Contador for a job well done...

Vino looked a lot more chuffed than Contador!

limerickman said:
I don't know.
Vino.

It only raises the age old question - "is what we're seeing, clean?"
Nobody seemed too put out by Basso winning the Giro.

I think Vino gets more guff because, well, he's an ass.

jamie72 said:
Fair play to Cav, people said he couldn't win without Renshaw. Brilliant sprint today..

I was one of those who was doubtful about Cav in that regard - chapeau to the Manx Missile, he proved me wrong.