2010 Tour de France: Stage 5, Epernay - Montargis, 187.5 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2010 Tour de France: Stage 5, Epernay - Montargis, 187.5 km

This is another flat stage, with two fourth category climbs occurring early on. The perfect opportunity for Mark Cavendish to salvage his Tour de France.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU5MVcMwos]YouTube - Analysis of the stage 5[/ame]

Stage 5 Map
View attachment 12483

Stage 5 Profile
View attachment 12486

The last Kms
View attachment 12485

Stage 5 Climbs
Km 18.5: Côte d'Orbais-l'Abbaye -> 1.6 km climb @ 4.8 % ( Category 4 )
Km 36.5: Côte de Mécringes -> 1.3 km climb @ 5.4 % ( Category 4 )

Top 10 on General classification before stage 5

1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 18:28:55
2 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:00:23
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:39
4 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Transitions 0:00:46
5 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Quick Step 0:01:01
6 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:09
7 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team 0:01:19
8 Alexander Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:01:31
9 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:01:40
10 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:01:42

... also of interest ...

13 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 0:01:49
14 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team
15 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions 0:02:06
16 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo 0:02:24
17 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:02:25
18 Lance Armstrong (USA) Team Radioshack 0:02:30
26 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:58
27 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Team Radioshack 0:03:00
28 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
29 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team Radioshack 0:03:01
33 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana 0:03:05
34 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha
35 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team HTC - Columbia 0:03:06
46 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:03:19
47 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:03:20

2010 Tour de France Stage 5 News

Explosive Cavendish picks up 11th Tour stage victory
Mark Cavendish, a beaten man, had pulled up just before the finish line in Reims, conceding victory to the resurgent Alessandro Petacchi. But here, given a perfect lead-out by Mark Renshaw just like in the good ol' days of last summer, Cavendish roared home with his first stage victory of 2010. In between, his frustration boiled over and he had thrown a major bike - and helmet-flinging hissy fit, prompting the French sports newspaper L'Equipe to re-christen the Manx Missile - Cavendish hails from the Isle of Man - as Le Pyromane for his increasingly explosive temperament.
Link: Explosive Cavendish picks up 11th Tour stage victory | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Throwing elbows part of the job for Renshaw
As Mark Cavendish (HTC-Columbia) rode towards his eleventh Tour de France stage win, the wheel he followed throughout the final, hectic kilometres belonged to the rider who has now guided him to seven of those victories - Mark Renshaw. While last year Renshaw tended to follow a teammate in the well-drilled HTC-Columbia train before sprinting and dropping off Cavendish at around 200m to go, the finale into Montargis saw more of a free-for-all, and Renshaw needed to be physical as well as fast.
Link: Throwing Elbows Part Of The Job For Renshaw | Cyclingnews.com

Tears flow as the Manx Missile strikes to claim stage win in Tour
Isle of Man sprinter Mark Cavendish gave the Tour de France the most emotional stage win in years when he collapsed in tears after his breakthrough victory in Thursday’s stage five. Cavendish (HTC Columbia), 24, won the 187.5km stage from Epernay to Montargis in a mass sprint from German Gerald Ciolek (Milram) and Norwegian up-and-comer Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky).
Link: Mark Cavendish | Tour de France stage 5

Lance Armstrong Facing Hecklers, Doubting Press
​As the Tour de France settles into a more normal first-week routine of long breakaway attempts and nervy sprint finishes, the cycling press has time to wonder: did a flat tire on Tuesday's chaotic cobblestoned stage doom Lance Armstrong's chance to win his final Tour? He lies in 18th place overall, which is meaningless, but more importantly he's given up 50 seconds to his main rival, Alberto Contador, before the high mountain sections have even begun. That gives Contador a huge advantage that some already see as too much to overcome.
Link: Lance Armstrong Facing Hecklers and a Doubting Press - New York News - Runnin' Scared

Emotional Cavendish puts woes behind him
The Manxman had been unimpressive in Wednesday’s stage, failing to match the speed of his sprinting rivals, but he was a transformed rider heading into the historic town of Montargis. His HTC Columbia team worked hard to bring back a long-distance break by Jurgen van de Walle (QuickStep), Jose Ivan Gutierrez (Caisse d’Epargne) and Julian El Fares (Cofidis), bringing things together with three kilometres to go. And while the rival Garmin Transitions team took over and tried to usher sprinter Tyler Farrar to victory, Cavendish had the speed, commitment and determination to ****** the win.
Link: Emotional Cavendish puts woes behind him - The Irish Times - Fri, Jul 09, 2010

Lance gives praise
Alberto Contador paid Lance Armstrong's Team RadioShack bus a visit before Thursday's Stage 5 to present the Texan with a commemorative watch from the 2009 Tour, which Contador won. Armstrong, who finished third last year, was one of his teammates for Astana. Armstrong said that he did not see Contador when the Spaniard went to see him because he was "in the back of the bus, in the middle of something else." Later on Thursday after Armstrong finished 30th in the stage, he spoke about Contador's skill on the bike.
Link: Cycling Blog - Shiftinggears | Tour notes: Lance gives praise | Universal Sports

Cavendish opens up at Tour de France
MARK Cavendish collapsed in a wave of emotions after stage five redemption on the Tour de France. The Isle of Man sprinter was expertly trucked into winning position by Bathurst's Mark Renshaw to banish personal and professional demons. The winner of six Tour stages in 2009, Cavendish had struggled to compete with Italian Alessandro Petacchi and Norwegian Thor Hushovd.
Link: Mark Cavendish claims stage 5 of Tour de France | Herald Sun

Armstrong faces biggest 1-week deficit ever
One of the oddities of the Tour de France is that the riskiest and most pulse-pounding finishes, like Thursday's Stage 5 sprint, often barely cause more than a ripple in the general classification (GC, or overall standings), and have even less of an effect on the top contenders. For instance, Mark Cavendish won Stage 5, and thanks to the way Tour placings are scored, the field just behind Cavendish, containing all the overall contenders, was given the same finishing time.
Link: Analysis: Armstrong faces biggest 1-week deficit ever - Tour de France- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Cavendish far from a spent force
AS the fifth stage of the Tour de France finished in the heart of the champagne region it should be Mark Cavendish’s shout. The Manx Missile owes Mark Renshaw and Michael Rogers, the two Australian conductors on the HTC-Columbia train, and German Tony Martin big time. The record will show Cavendish won the 187.5km stage from Espernay to Montargis in four hours 30mins.50secs in a mad scramble to the finish.
Link: Mark Cavendish far from a spent force | The Australian

Cav praises team for continuing to show faith
Mark Cavendish praised his HTC-Columbia team-mates for helping him open his 2010 Tour de France account with his 11th career stage win in Montargis this afternoon, saying that they did a “perfect job” in delivering him to the line, despite his opinion that he had let them down when he finished 12th in Reims yesterday. The Manxman timed his sprint today perfectly to see off the challenge of Milram’s Gerald Ciolek and Team Sky’s Edvald Boasson Hagen, and acknowledged the contribution of his lead-out man, saying “I just sat on Mark Renshaw’s wheel and I knew he’d deliver me to the right place and he did.”
Link: Tour de France Stage 5 reaction: Cav praises team for continuing to show faith | road.cc | The website for pedal powered people: Road cycling, commuting, leisure cycling and racing

British Rider Brought to Tears by Stage 5 Victory
Red faced and sweaty from a 116.5-mile ride in the unrelenting sun and heat, he hugged his teammate Tony Martin as if he were a long-lost brother, squeezing with all his might. Then on the stage at the finish line, as the crowd cheered, his lip began quivering. He reached behind his green mirrored glasses to wipe away tears. But the tears kept coming. He wept on the podium, for everyone to see. Then he wept as he shook hands with French sports officials. Soon, he was weeping so hard that he was barely able to speak, so he buried his face in a towel
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/sports/cycling/09tourdefrance.html

Tour de France: Cavendish weeps for joy after sprint win
He finally did it. Yesterday, in Montargis, Britain's Mark Cavendish was able to claim his eleventh Tour stage victory; it was his first of this year's race, and arguably the most important win of his career. His huge yell of triumph as he crossed the line over a bike's length from Germany's Gerald Ciolek, followed by almost non-stop tears of joy on the podium and in post-race interviews, confirmed just how badly he had wanted it.
Link: Tour de France: Cavendish weeps for joy after sprint win - Others, More Sports - The Independent

Cavendish goes from dejection to elation
After yesterday's stage, perhaps no rider was more dejected than Mark Cavendish. Indeed, he was so frustrated that he dropped his bike and threw his helmet as he boarded the team bus. What he did once on the bus is anybody's guess, but it would not surprise me to learn that he proceeded to tear the upholstery from the seats and then block up the toilet for good measure. (Fortunately the keys were not in the ignition, because nothing's more dangerous than a bus driven by an irate Manxman.)
Link: Cycling Blog - Tourtalk | Cavendish goes from dejection to elation | Universal Sports

Garmin-Transitions sprinter Farrar back in action
The Garmin-Transitions team produced its best lead out in Montargis but came up empty handed as Mark Cavendish and HTC-Columbia burst through the middle of the pack to bounce back and take their first win in this year’s Tour de France.
Link: Garmin-Transitions Sprinter Farrar Back In Action | Cyclingnews.com

Cavendish aces Tour de France test, gets stage at last
Mark Cavendish won his first stage at this year's Tour de France with a clinical finish in Montargis. The HTC-Columbia sprinter was taken to the line by his entire team and finished ahead of Gerard Coilek (Milram) and Edvald Boassen Hagen (Team Sky).
Link: Cavendish Aces Tour De France Test, Gets Stage At Last | Cyclingnews.com

I'm going to keep betting on Cav until he actually wins a stage. Which he will soon. Yesterdays sprint was a bit of a mess for him, HTC couldn't control it like they usually do. Today is another chance and I think he'll get this one. Petacchi second and challenging for green.

Thus far into the Tour it appears as though Cav may have been exposed as not being at his best fitness. His train got disrupted in yesterday's sprint but he looked wiped and defeated before getting to the line.

His body language said it all: "Maybe I'm not the fastest man in the world anymore."

I'm going with Cavendish, although I think he will have to do a better job at taking the wheels of other riders that aren't his teammates. I'm hoping other riders like Thor, McEwen and Pettachi take the win, but Cav is bound to win one of these stages. Right??

Sprints are unpredictable this year, so I'll root for my favorites:

Mcewen and Freire!! go go go!!!!

I think Cav can win but he will have to adapt since his team isn't strong enough to control the sprints this year. The absence of Adam Hansen and George Hincapie from the train, along with Michael Rogers riding his own race doesn't help. If Renshaw uses the other teams to his advantage and positions himself in the front at from 250-150m from the finish, Cav can win.

Anyway, there's a tight corner 500m from the finish and McEwen tends to win while coming around corners, so I'm optimistic!

They are currently going 36 mph and that's not even a sprint! I guess the downhill-ish profile's helping a lot. What gears are they using? Do they have 55's by any chance?

Holy cow it looks like that's exactly what Renshaw did. Cav finally gets his win.

Cav wins, proves he is the fastest man in the world by distancing the rest of the sprinters by 2 bike lengths. The HTC train wasn't as strong today so Renshaw hooked onto Garmins lead out effort then popped out and delivered Cav perfectly for the win. Boassen Hagen is putting in some good efforts in these sprints, he could be a dark horse to take the green jersey given that he can climb and scrap for points on days when all the other sprinters are dropped.

Some interesting results at the tail end of the standings, 4 Astana riders dropped off the back of the pack. Lends some credence to the thought that Contador won't have much support in the important stages.

Well I expressed doubts yesterday when I saw Cav sit up in the sprint but today he was stoked and despite not having his own lead out train fully organised Renshaw proved that like Petachi if you don't have the guns in your own team then improvise.

Top result.:D

Great sprint finish. Even though my man Thor couldn't pull it off. Good win for Cav.

Andrija said:
Renshaw is worth his weight in gold.

Agreed. Even though I'm not a huge Cav fan, I'm glad to see Renshaw in good health and performing well for his team, even if that means giving Cav a hand in taking a few sprints in the Tour. At some point I would like to see Renshaw have more freedom and go for stage wins. He's obviously a team player and deserves his day.

Renshaw is freaking awesome. Watch the slow motion replays from overhead and there are two different times within the last K where he slips through holes at the front that nobody has the right to slip through. He also created space for himself and Cav on several occasions by being physical, even with guys as big as Hushovd.

Gotta give Cav credit, though. He followed Renshaw through a couple of holes that very very few sprinters could have ever gotten through, and he pulled the trigger perfectly today. He also continues to give credit to his teammates, and being that the guy isn't exactly the most humble man, there's little doubt that this part is genuine.

Farrar effed it up big time, but might not have caught Cav anyway. Boassen Hagen came from a long way back--this guy is definitely one for Thor to keep his eye on.

I still think Wiggins and Dean should have ridden for McEwen--he looked the fastest yesterday. That would be a tough decision, 'cause Tyler has had the form at times this year to beat Cav.

No need for a photo finish for that one. Damn. Their train may not be as strong as last years but that was some good riding. Sad to see that Matty Goss aint at the Tour - his Giro riding showed that he's almost as good as Renshaw.

Oscar Freire liked bumping with Renshaw and Cav for about 2km and Hush wanted a bit of elbow and shoulder fun with them both at the end too.

Hats off to Farrar too for a gustsy ride.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7k64WltHp4[/ame]

2010 Tour de France: Stage 5 Results

1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team HTC - Columbia 4:30:50
2 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Team Milram
3 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team
4 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
5 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
6 Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
7 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Team Katusha
8 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
9 Lloyd Mondory (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions