2010 Tour of Flanders

* Cancellara

* Boonen

* Flecha

Are my choices (along with most everyone else, looks like). Probably all dead wrong :p but we'll see.

Devolder: "The Ronde van Vlaanderen is my race":
Stijn Devolder has won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the last two years and will try to defend the title tomorrow. He would become only the fifth person to win it three times. His teammate Tom Boonen can achieve the same. With four wins in five years, the Quick Step duo is the clear favorite for Sunday.

link: Devolder: "The Ronde van Vlaanderen is my race" | VeloNation Cycling News and Reference

This was brutal. Demonstration of power.
Cancellara just sat and spun, while Boonen was labouring on Kapelmuur. And off he went.
I can't see Boonen catching Cancellara now.
Hats off to Cancellara.

I think that this story is an appropriate description of what have happened today.
We speak 1919 just after the ending of WWI and Henri "Ritte" Vanlerberghe arrived directly from the Yser frontline to the starting point of The Tour of Flanders.

Ritte had no bicycle so he had to lend one from the cousin of a co-competitor ,actually the cousin of Jules Messelis who was a very good racer in those days.

Just instants before the start of the race "Ritte" shouted out to all who could hear it : "I will ride you all to hell !!!"
Concurrent Jules Vanhevel had to laugh very hard on hearing this.... and "Ritte" replied to him : " You shouldn't laugh because I'll ride you out of my wheels in front of your own door !!!"

And "Ritte" kept his promise , he attacked on a hill at Ichtegem (Hometown of Vanhevel !!! ) the other racers let him go for a while but when they started chasing him it was allready too late and "Ritte" was too far .....

He went further in solo towards the town of Gentbrugge to the cycling-track of Aarsenaar where the finish line was.... but instead of going into the cycling-track in order to accomplish his round of honor and cross the finish line he stopped at a pub and simply ordered himself a "Demie" ( demie = Belgian blond beer ) , and he ordered himself another one and another....untill the Director of the race Oscar Van Braeckel noticed that "Ritte" was sitting in that pub....so he ordered the "coach" of "Ritte" to go fetch him in that pub....

"Ritte's" coach suceeded with a bit of force to drag him out of the pub and while Ritte was doing his round of honor ( walking because he wasn't able any longer to ride his bicycle ) he cried out these words to the public : " You can all go home , I've got half a day advance on the others !!!!! "

He had actually 14 minutes left of his initial advance because of his little passage in the Pub

That's how Henri Vanlerberghe nicknamed "Ritte" won the Tour of Flanders in 1919

Originally told by:
Achiel Van Den Broeck http://www.wielersportboeken.be/B/broeck_v_d_achiel/broeck.htm
interpretation of:
Kurt Weygantt

Source:
Henri Van Lerberghe

Andrija said:
I think that this story is an appropriate description of what have happened today.

Source:
Henri Van Lerberghe

Fantastic story, Andrija, both the one from 1919 and today. Thanks for that. The Wattage Cottage rode them all into hell and will be enjoying his "demie" through next week, when he might very well do it again.

I'm pretty sure, though, that Canellara would be glad he didn't have to do it on a borrowed bike, direct from a war front. Can you imagine? Though what he did today definitely induced some post traumatic stress disorder - for everyone else, especially Boonen.

Maxiton said:
Fantastic story, Andrija, both the one from 1919 and today. Thanks for that. The Wattage Cottage rode them all into hell and will be enjoying his "demie" through next week, when he might very well do it again.

I'm pretty sure, though, that Canellara would be glad he didn't have to do it on a borrowed bike, direct from a war front. Can you imagine? Though what he did today definitely induced some post traumatic stress disorder - for everyone else, especially Boonen.
Have you noticed that he, actually, changed his bike?
Breschel too.

Andrija said:
Have you noticed that he, actually, changed his bike?
Breschel too.

Yeah, I didn't see it live cause I couldn't get up at 3 AM, but I saw that in a replay video. Wasn't that off the Saxo team car? Seemed like a really slow, messed up bike change. At one point he seemed to be in a tug-of-war for the bike. What was up with all that?

Maxiton said:
Yeah, I didn't see it live cause I couldn't get up at 3 AM, but I saw that in a replay video. Wasn't that off the Saxo team car? Seemed like a really slow, messed up bike change. At one point he seemed to be in a tug-of-war for the bike. What was up with all that?
Maybe it wasn't even his spare bike.
Similarity is just fantastic.

Andrija said:
Maybe it wasn't even his spare bike.
Similarity is just fantastic.

Yeah, looks like he was given the wrong bike. Guy realizes his mistake, hangs onto bike, says, "No, you can't take that. Wrong bike," and Cance says, "**** that, too late now, lemme have it." Good thing it wasn't completely out of his size.

Here is a video of Mat Breschel explaining how he too was given wrong bike. I expect somebody is going to be fired or something.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97MmSiBp1lM[/ame]

Except now for some reason I can't remember how to embed video. Maybe mods can fix it?

Maxiton said:
Yeah, looks like he was given the wrong bike. Guy realizes his mistake, hangs onto bike, says, "No, you can't take that. Wrong bike," and Cance says, "**** that, too late now, lemme have it." Good thing it wasn't completely out of his size.

Here is a video of Mat Breschel explaining how he too was given wrong bike. I expect somebody is going to be fired or something.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/97MmSiBp1lM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/97MmSiBp1lM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Except now for some reason I can't remember how to embed video. Maybe mods can fix it?
This is fantastic!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_BNuNDQYiA]YouTube - Fabian Cancellara wins Tour de Flanders 2010[/ame]

2010 Tour of Flanders Results
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 6:25:56
2 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step 0:01:15
3 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:02:11
4 Bjorn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team 0:02:15
5 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 0:02:35
6 George Hincapie (USA) BMC Racing Team
7 Roger Hammond (GBr) Cervelo Test Team
8 Maxim Iglinsky (Kaz) Astana
9 Danilo Hondo (Ger) Lampre-Farnese Vini
10 William Bonnet (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
11 Johnny Hoogerland (Ned) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
12 Stijn Vandenbergh (Bel) Team Katusha
13 Mathew Hayman (Aus) Sky Professional Cycling Team
14 Lloyd Mondory (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
15 Matti Breschel (Den) Team Saxo Bank
16 Bernhard Eisel (Aut) Team HTC - Columbia
17 Steve Chainel (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
18 Frédéric Guesdon (Fra) Française Des Jeux
19 Maarten Wynants (Bel) Quick Step
20 Marcus Burghardt (Ger) BMC Racing Team
21 Roy Sentjens (Bel) Team Milram
22 Sebastian Langeveld (Ned) Rabobank
23 Marcel Sieberg (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia
24 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Quick Step
25 Stijn Devolder (Bel) Quick Step
26 Sébastien Hinault (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
27 Lance Armstrong (USA) Team Radioshack
28 Daniel Oss (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
29 Leif Hoste (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
30 Simon Spilak (Slo) Lampre-Farnese Vini
31 Serguei Ivanov (Rus) Team Katusha
32 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Transitions
33 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team
34 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Sky Professional Cycling Team
35 Alessandro Ballan (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:02:48
36 Koen De Kort (Ned) Skil - Shimano 0:05:13
37 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
38 Dimitri Muravyev (Kaz) Team Radioshack
39 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
40 Bert Scheirlinckx (Bel) Landbouwkrediet
41 Staf Scheirlinckx (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
42 Dominique Rollin (Can) Cervelo Test Team
43 Fabio Sabatini (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
44 Alexandre Pichot (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
45 Niki Terpstra (Ned) Team Milram
46 Grégory Rast (Swi) Team Radioshack
47 Frederik Willems (Bel) Liquigas-Doimo
48 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
49 Maarten Tjallingii (Ned) Rabobank
50 Mikhail Ignatiev (Rus) Team Katusha
51 Matthieu Ladagnous (Fra) Française Des Jeux
52 Carlos Barredo Llamazales (Spa) Quick Step
53 Kurt Asle Arvesen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team
54 Karsten Kroon (Ned) BMC Racing Team
55 Johan Vansummeren (Bel) Garmin - Transitions
56 Daniel Lloyd (GBr) Cervelo Test Team
57 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
58 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom 0:06:58
59 Koen Barbe (Bel) Landbouwkrediet 0:10:33
60 Bobbie Traksel (Ned) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
61 Michael Schär (Swi) BMC Racing Team
62 Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen - Mercator
63 Matteo Tosatto (Ita) Quick Step 0:13:20
64 Mirko Selvaggi (Ita) Astana
65 Javier Aramendia Lorente (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
66 Allan Davis (Aus) Astana
67 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana
68 Vicente Reynes Mimo (Spa) Team HTC - Columbia
69 Floris Goesinnen (Ned) Skil - Shimano
70 Marco Marcato (Ita) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
71 Mauro Da Dalto (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
72 Frédéric Amorison (Bel) Landbouwkrediet
73 Tiziano Dall'antonia (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
74 Lars Ytting Bak (Den) Team HTC - Columbia
75 Hayden Roulston (NZl) Team HTC - Columbia
76 Yoann Offredo (Fra) Française Des Jeux
77 Lars Boom (Ned) Rabobank
78 Michael Barry (Can) Sky Professional Cycling Team
79 Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
80 Kevin De Weert (Bel) Quick Step
81 Geoffroy Lequatre (Fra) Team Radioshack
82 Tom Veelers (Ned) Skil - Shimano
83 Roy Curvers (Ned) Skil - Shimano
84 Ian Stannard (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team
85 Gustav Larsson (Swe) Team Saxo Bank
86 Joost Posthuma (Ned) Rabobank
87 Jurgen Roelandts (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
88 Nikolay Trusov (Rus) Team Katusha
89 Christopher Sutton (Aus) Sky Professional Cycling Team
90 Martijn Maaskant (Ned) Garmin - Transitions
91 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
92 Kasper Klostergaard Larsen (Den) Team Saxo Bank
93 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
94 Frank Hoj (Den) Team Saxo Bank
95 Joost Van Leijen (Ned) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team

Maxiton said:

Hi there

You just need to past in the url and the forum software will embed it for you, i've fixed your other post btw.

cheers

Andrija said:
Here it is.
Breschel Fuming After Mechanical Mix-up At Flanders | Cyclingnews.com

So, the only logical conclusion is - back then, in 1919., Ritte won 'cause he got better bike from Jules Messelis's cousin than Messelis had himself.
I wonder if Jules Messelis regretted he didn't tell to Ritte: "Here... Take my bike, I'll take my cousin's."
Or, maybe, cousin should have ridden...

Yeah, Messelis' bike weighed 13 kg and Ritte's borrowed bike only weighed 11 :)

steve said:
Hi there

You just need to past in the url and the forum software will embed it for you, i've fixed your other post btw.

cheers

Muchas gracias, Steve.

Maxiton said:
Yeah, Messelis' bike weighed 13 kg and Ritte's borrowed bike only weighed 11 :)
What were the measures of Cancellara's and Breschel's bike on which they've finished the race?
And what are the measures of bikes on which they've started the race?
I'll try to find sizes.

Edit:
It's just five centimeters difference between Breschel and O'grady in height.
The same difference between Cancellara and Breschel.
I don't think it could effect racing that much. Cancellara rides smaller TT bike than road bike, so if he too got smaller bike in change, he wouldn't be disadvantaged, since he time trialed to victory...
Maybe it was Breschel's bike on which Cancellara ended. Maybe that's what Breshel wants to say.

Everything happened in 10 minutes. Mechanics could have been confused.

Cancellara refused first bike that mechanic offered him.
For who that mechanic works? Is he a Belgian?

Andrija said:
What were the measures of Cancellara's and Breschel's bike on which they've finished the race?
And what are the measures of bikes on which they've started the race?
I'll try to find sizes.

Edit:
It's just five centimeters difference between Breschel and O'grady in height.
The same difference between Cancellara and Breschel.
I don't think it could effect racing that much. Cancellara rides smaller TT bike than road bike, so if he too got smaller bike in change, he wouldn't be disadvantaged, since he time trialed to victory...
Maybe it was Breschel's bike on which Cancellara ended. Maybe that's what Breshel wants to say.

Maybe so. I can see how that would really **** Breschel off. And he looked ready to kill.

Everything happened in 10 minutes. Mechanics could have been confused.

No doubt. Bet they're not confused any more . . . .