2010 Trek 7.3 FX

mgobiking

Jun 3, 2013
Hello,

I have been looking for a good Trek 7.3 FX for some time.. Found this one near-by ->

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/3842322440.html

I saw another similar 7.3 posted for $275 last week, but that was gone before I could call the guy. Would like to get your thoughts on what's a reasonable price to offer for this bike.

Also, I am 6' tall. The LBS insisted that I go with a medium size (20") bike, but it felt a bit small to me. He did not have the 7.3 in Large size at the time, so i could not try. Any thoughts on if Large would be too big for me?

Thanks in advance!

It's a difficult call. Working for a Trek dealer, I try lots of bikes on for size, and being a long-limbed (35" inseam) whisker under 6' , I'd thought the 22.5 was my size. But the last time I tried it I felt too stretched out, so I took the time to set up a 20 just the way I'd want it, and then I knew the 22.5 was too big.

Try this on the 20. Slam the saddle almost all the way back before setting the saddle height, which should now be a little lower. Then remind yourself that you can always get a slightly longer and/or higher angled stem that won't require getting longer cables.

By the way, that used 22.5 looks nice and the price looks right. If you truly sit better on the larger frame and everything on the bike checks out, this could be a good choice.

Give it test run. You could also ask the owner to fiddle with the seat and the like.