2010 vs 2009 sram force controls

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by edwardisrunning, Apr 4, 2010.

1. edwardisrunning

edwardisrunning New Member

So my SRAM Rival Controls broke this weekend during a race.

I was looking at replacing/upgrading them and I think I'm going to go with SRAM Force controls. I can save a significant amount of money (up to US$200) if I go with the 2009s instead of the 2010s. Is anyone familiar with the differences and are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance.

Tags:

2. genedan

genedan New Member

Here's a review on cyclingnews:

SRAM Force Road Groupset | Cyclingnews.com

I would recommend saving those $200, then you can spend that money on something newer later, like when they come out with stuff that's incompatible with your current setup. Speaking of saving money, I better get a new grouppo now. Ever since Alberto won the Tour on SRAM the prices have been going way up...

3. bulaboy

bulaboy New Member

You cannot trim the front derailer when you are in the small chainring on the 2009 version. I believe they fixed that for 2010. I'm running a 12 - 26 cassette and it makes the 12 and 13 unusable when I'm in the small chainring because the chain rubs on the front derailer cage. Not a big deal but I'd like to be able to use the 13.

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I think the OP should take advantage of his immediate situation and buy a set of 10 speed, non-QS Campagnolo shifters ...

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifter indexes readily with the SRAM rear derailleur + a 10-speed Shimano-compatible cassette.

The non-QS Campagnolo shifter will work with ANY front derailleur ... and, he/you/anyone will then be able to trim his/her SRAM front derailleur.

The cost will vary from a little over $100 (for a good, used pair) to $400+ (for the latest-and-greatest).