2010 Vuelta a Espana: Burgos - Peña Cabarga, 178 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Sep 11, 2010.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

2010 Vuelta a Espana: Burgos - Peña Cabarga, 178 km

The Vuelta enters Cantabria in the best possible way: with high mountain. Saturday 11th September the “peloton” travels from Burgos till the top of Peña Cabarga, forcing the riders to overcome along the way three mountain passes that count for the championship: Bocos (3rd category-km 99), Lunada (2nd category-km 107) and Caracol (2nd category-km 106). After this little-great mountain share, there is place enough for the “peloton” to become again one group, to try to get some energy back and to fight for the best position riding along the final climb to Peña Cabarga, a climb that will be finished with already less strength.

And if there is something necessary in Peña Cabarga is to have strength, since the final ascension takes almost 6 kilometres and has an average fall of 10%, with ramps that almost reach 18%, mainly in their last two kilometres, where it can be found the greatest concentration of a mountain pass hard ground. The ascension to this well known climb in Cantabria was already won in Peña Cabarga in 1979 by Ángel López del Álamo.

The Map
    View attachment 12918

Stage Profile
    View attachment 12919

The last Km's
    View attachment 12920

General classification before stage 14

1 Igor Anton (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 56:28:03
    2 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:45
    3 Xavier Tondo (Spa) Cervélo Test Team 0:01:04
    4 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:01:17
    5 Ezequiel Mosquera (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 0:01:29
    6 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Caisse d’Epargne 0:01:57
    7 Ruben Plaza (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne 0:02:07
    8 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Caisse d’Epargne 0:02:13
    9 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Ag2R-La Mondiale 0:02:30
    10 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank

Tags:

2. Andrija

Andrija Member

The last climb looks like the one for Rodriguez. Anton and Nibali shouldn't be far behind him (if behind at all).
    A rider from breakaway could take this stage. There are some points for mountain classification in second part of the stage and last climb isn't that long, so a skillful climber could fancy his chances. .

3. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

2 out of 3 not a bad effort at all. Shame Anton crashed out, will definately make for an interesting stage today, with just 4 seconds seperating the top 2. Who's the better time trialer between the two??? I'm guessing Nibali, he may need to gain some time in the itt stage befor the massive second last stage

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I'm glad someone started a thread about this years Vuelta.

Really enjoyed yesterdays stage : terrible bad luck for Anto and Martinez in that crash in the final 6kms.
    Anton looked to be torn to shreds and when I saw Martinez not moving initially, I feared the worst.
    Thankfully both were ok despite their leaving the race.

Really interesting stage yesterday : felt sorry for the Milram rider who stayed out all day and got caught with 1.7kms to go.

Nibali and Rodriguez really did turn it on at the last climb which looked like a killer.

5. Andrija

Andrija Member

Nibali is better time trialer. But I'm not sure Nibali's in his best climbing form. On both climbs so far he struggled. Well, he didn't struggle like majority of riders, but he wasn't in comfort zone at all. Yesterday he almost blew. Misjudged his strength and it almost cost him jersey.
    Let's wait and see how he'll do today and tomorrow. So far the climbs were either mild in gradient or short, today and tomorrow are long and steep with some flat and even downhill sections. I think change of rhythm will hurt Nibali.
    If Schleck has any podium ambitions, these two stages are opportunity for him.
    That beast (Bola del Mundo) on penultimate day will be spectacular, but I'm not sure it will have decisive role.