2010 Vuelta a Espana: Stage 1 - Sevilla team time trial, 16.5km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Stage 1 - Sevilla team time trial, 16.5km

The starting ramp, situated near the Plaza de Toros de la Real Maestranza de Sevilla will introduce a first test where there will be already some differences among the favourite riders, since the aprox. 14 km is distance enough so that the great riders teams show their differences with the not so qualified teams in time trial.

Distance: 16.5km
Highest point: 10m
Terrain: Flat

Stage 1 Map
View attachment 12803

Stage 1 Profile
View attachment 12804

The Last Km's
View attachment 12805

Stage 1 news

Australians set for Tour of Spain
Matt Wilson (Garmin-Transitions) and 23-year-old newcomer Johnnie Walker (Footon-Servetto) are the other Australians in the race. Three-time Tour de France winner Contador is skipping his home Tour, which he won in 2008, after a hard-fought victory in France in July.
Link: Australians set for Tour of Spain

Vuelta focus on summit quintet
The Vuelta a Espana begins on Saturday with a team time-trial in Seville but it is the five summit finishes in a route which favours climbers which is set to determine the champion. The third grand tour of a compelling 2010 season is anticipated to be another exhilarating affair, following the gruelling Giro d'Italia in May and the incident-filled Tour de France in July.
Link: Vuelta focus on summit quintet

Peter Kennaugh puts his reputation on the line
PETER KENNAUGH will tonight embark on his first grand tour when he takes to the Vuelta a Espana start line in Seville. Team Sky’s aim is to win the Tour de France with a British rider within five years. While the first year of the project did not go according to plan, Bradley Wiggins, who finished fourth in the 2009 Tour and 24th in 2010, remains the most likely contender.
Link: WalesOnline - Sports - Cycling - Cycling: Peter Kennaugh puts his reputation on the line

Farrar leads Americans at the Vuelta
There are just six Americans in the 2010 Vuelta a Espana spread over two teams.
Of those half a dozen U.S. riders, Tyler Farrar seems to be the one with the best chance of grabbing a stage win or two. Here's a brief look at each of the riders, listed alphabetically by team.
Link: Cycling Blog - Vueltavoice | Farrar leads Americans at the Vuelta | Universal Sports

Tour de France crash will help me in Spain, says Schleck
Frank Schleck believes his crash at this year's Tour de France will give him an edge when the Tour of Spain begins in Seville on Saturday. "The crash could become an advantage now because I only did four Tour (de France) stages and I'll be fresher physically than the rest of the riders who did all three weeks," he told Spanish sports daily Marca on Friday.
Link: Tour de France crash will help me in Spain, says Schleck - Cycling - More Sports - Sports - The Times of India

Tour de Spain starts in heat of Seville
Saturday sees the first day of the three -week-long Vuelta de Espana (Tour de Spain) cycling race. One of the most important stage races in cycling after the Tour de France, this year's Vuelta once again promises three weeks of racing in which the high mountains will play a significant role. Saturday begins with a 13 kilometer time trail through the streets of Seville and with problems over security arrangements solved with the local police, the main difficulty facing the riders looks is the extreme heat.
Link: Tour de Spain starts in heat of Seville

Cavendish and Kennaugh line up for Tour of Spain
The last of the cycling season's three grand tours - the Tour of Spain - begins in Seville tonight, with two Manxies aiming for success. HTC-Columbia is once again building its team around Mark Cavendish, with his fellow riders looking to deliver the Manx Missile to as many stage victories as possible.
Link: Cavendish and Kennaugh line up for Tour of Spain | Newsroom  | isleofman.com

HTC and Cavendish in the Red Jersey.
It must have been that someone in Saxo has worn tail light which held on Cancellara.

I was surprised that Rabo and Sky rode poorly. I thought Saxo would have won with Garmin, Sky, HTC and Liquigas fighting for the other top spots.

Liquigas really showed that they can ride a TTT. I was surprised with their performance in the Giro, and they proved that the Giro TTT wasn't a fluke.

Regardless, because of the length of the TTT it wasn't a stage to gain/lose huge time, but some teams made statements that they are here to race.