2010 Worldwide Ride of Silence

markpedal

Apr 9, 2005
Hello fellow cyclists, friends, and Ride of Silence Organizers.

With Thanksgiving in the USA just around the corner, and Canada having celebrated theirs last month, I'll be giving thanks this year to good health (kinda), that allows me to ride my bike, and to an organization like the Ride of Silence that allows me the opportunity to honor the memory of friends and family who no longer can join us while riding, while clearly raising awareness of cyclists rights on a global scale.

There's a number of things going on, and lot's of changes to the website you should know about.

1st: Our Web-master Tim P. has flipped the switch early. You can begin loading your 2010 Ride info, if you've got it firmed up. Let's get as many loaded as early as possible, for greater visibility to any rider looking for info about a RofS in their city/town/village in 2010. This also makes it easier for Tim come May, when he'll be very....very busy.

2nd: With permission from Mike Murgas in Texas, who penned the Ride of Silence Poem, there is a beautiful song entitled "Ride of Silence". It's sung by Singer & Composer (fellow cyclista from España) Luis Gomez. The youtube video is quite powerful! Personally I'm honored that he chose a number of pictures from our 2009 RofS here in Grand Rapids MI, USA, showing our RofS/Share the Road T-shirts. Check it out here at, and let your cycling friends know:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p7ZkvF_SVI"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

3rd: I've created a Ride of Silence Cause on Facebook. Please consider joining and ask your friends and fellow cyclists to join also. Let's continue to get the word out. There's an emotional string of posts about an up and coming 18 year old cyclist, who sadly is no longer with us.

Causes on Facebook | Ride of Silence, Support it Worldwide

4th: We loaded a new 2010 International Ride of Silence Brochure, multilingual (8.5 X 14 - 1/4 fold) to the website. It can be edited for any location worldwide, we simply ask you to follow the guidelines listed. I've used this format for Michigan locations for a couple of years, Ride of Silence Founder Chris P. liked it and asked that I create a worldwide version. I've distributed the MI version to bike shops, cycling events, tours, health clubs, etc. I can make a few suggestions to help lower printing costs. You can find it here:

::Ride of Silence:: Organizer Resources

Lastly: Continue to check out the website, there's lots of new information, and Tim continues to update it regularly.

Hope you're all getting a few rides in, before the snow hits. (not for me, still recovering from the H1N1 flu :-(

Stay safe out on the road.
Mark

Mark Hagar
Ride of Silence, Mentor, Club Communications
Ride of Silence, Michigan Director, 2005-2010 Grand Rapids MI USA Organizer
http://www.rideofsilence.org
[email protected]
“Silence can be deafening”
+1 616 389-3552 C