2011 Cannondale Frame Quality

ctabs12

Sep 23, 2010
I am thinking of purchasing a 2011 Cannondale (either supersix or CAAD10). From what I understand, the company that owns Schwinn recently purchased Cannondale, and all manufacturing is being relocated overseas.
The largest bike shop here in Rochester, NY (Park Ave bike) will no longer be selling Cannondales....The shop employee I spoke with explained that they are no longer carrying the brand because they feel the quality is going to drastically decrease.
I raised this concern at a different shop who also carries Cannondales. The employee spoke with couldnt have disagreed more. He explained that they will be using the same manufacturing processes, and the current Cannondale staff has trained the overseas factory on welding techniques, etc.

So, should I be wary of purchasing a 2011? I would appreciate anyone's thoughts!

Cannondale is owned by Dorel. This transaction took place in 2008. They are in fact the same people who own Schwinn, Pacific Cycle, GT, Mongoose and a host of all other industries. I believe that Dorel has allowed all of these company's to act autonomously in the development and marketing in their products. Dorel is out to make money not destroy their brand name quality. Your LBS might be giving you a line of baloney because they are upset that may have lost Cannondale. I have purchased a Synapse Carbon that was manufactured after the acquisition. My bike was delivered to me flawless and has performed as well as Cannondales I have purchased in the past. I would buy one again in the future.

my LBS dropped Cannondale about 2 years ago. They were experiencing "problems"; whatever that means, but they don't carry Trek either (too many restrictions on what other brands they can carry)

My LBS carries cannondale. While I don't own one myself MANY of my friends have them, in part because we can special order them (the supersix) with custom colors as our "team bike". Everyone who has one is VERY happy with them!

Thanks all for your input. I spoke with the LBS again and obtained what I believe to be an honest answer as to why they are dropping Cannondale. It doesnt have to do with quality per se, but rather because Cannondale's long term corporate plan is to expand into "big box stores".
I know I sound like a snob saying this, but if I start seeing Cannondale's in Dicks Sporting Goods, etc, I will be ******! It cheapens the brand.

Originally Posted by ctabs12 .

Thanks all for your input. I spoke with the LBS again and obtained what I believe to be an honest answer as to why they are dropping Cannondale. It doesn't have to do with quality per se, but rather because Cannondale's long term corporate plan is to expand into "big box stores".
I know I sound like a snob saying this, but if I start seeing Cannondale's in Dicks Sporting Goods, etc, I will be ******! It cheapens the brand.
They have been in Dicks for a few years already. REI carry's them also although REI is a CO-OP with a very good reputation.