2011 Tour de Suisse

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2011 Tour de Suisse The Tour de Suisse was first held in 1933 and along with the Critérium du Dauphiné it is an important lead up race to the Tour de France. The Tour de Suisse includes tough mountain climbs and at least one individual time trial. Famous winers include the likes of Eddy Merckx, Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich.

The Stages Date Start Finish KM 11.06.11 Lugano Lugano 7.3 12.06.11 Airolo Crans-Montana 149 13.06.11 Brig-Glis Grindelwald 107.6 14.06.11 Grindelwald Huttwil 198.4 15.06.11 Huttwil Tobel-Tägerschen 204.2 16.06.11 Tobel-Tägerschen Triesenberg / Malbun (FL) 157.7 17.06.11 Vaduz (FL) Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis (AUT) 222.8 18.06.11 Tübach Schaffhausen 167.3 19.06.11 Schaffhausen Schaffhausen 32.1
Previous Winners 2000 Oscar Camenzind (SUI) Lampre-Daikin 2001 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal 2002 Alex Zülle (SUI) Team Coast 2003 Alexandre Vinokourov (KAZ) Team Telekom 2004 Jan Ullrich (GER) T-Mobile Team 2005 Aitor González (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi 2006 Jan Ullrich (GER) T-Mobile Team 2007 Vladimir Karpets (RUS) Caisse d'Epargne 2008 Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Liquigas 2009 Fabian Cancellara (SUI) Team Saxo Bank 2010 Fränk Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank

it is also regarded as the 4th stage race in importance, just behind the 3 grand tours,

I consider it 3rd in importance right after the Giro de Italia.

It's a bloody tough race folks.
It's mostly uphill with absolutely killer gradient climbs throughout.

Personally I'd rate the Tour du Suisse as better preparation for a TDF.

Frank Schleck will be looking to put down his maker for 2011.
His team look very strong for this race.

Impressive stage win today from Solar.
He managed to outclimb Schleck and Cunego in the final part of the finish.
DiLuca rode a great stage today too.

Todays stage though was mad with a massive climb at Nufenenpass which sorted out the race as regards Cancellara.
Although he might make up time on the flatter stages of this race.

Just watching the highlights of stage 3 on Eurosport : what a great ride by Cunego today.

On the final climb of the day, Cunego just went away from the field and his descending to the finish line was heart in the throat stuff.
He got pipped in the stage finish but what an impressive ride today.

I love this tour.

Great stage today. Cunego was really impressive. I thought he was going to lose it once or twice on some of the bends during the descent. He and Sagan really scorched the downhill.

Originally Posted by pennstater .

Great stage today. Cunego was really impressive. I thought he was going to lose it once or twice on some of the bends during the descent. He and Sagan really scorched the downhill.

I literally had to wince watching those descents today.
The water covered sections of road looked treacherous in particular.

Cunego's descending was Savoldelli-esque. Did you see the coverage of Cuengo and Sagan getting changed at the stage finish.
Cunego turned to Sagan and it was obvious that they were talking about the descents : Cunego clapped his hands and shouted "pow!"/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

If he'd gone over the side of those ravines though......................

The Killer (DiLuca) is doing a great ride I think. I always liked him. I know the drugs etc but he's a punchy rider.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

I literally had to wince watching those descents today.
The water covered sections of road looked treacherous in particular.

Cunego's descending was Savoldelli-esque. Did you see the coverage of Cuengo and Sagan getting changed at the stage finish.
Cunego turned to Sagan and it was obvious that they were talking about the descents : Cunego clapped his hands and shouted "pow!"/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

If he'd gone over the side of those ravines though......................

The Killer (DiLuca) is doing a great ride I think. I always liked him. I know the drugs etc but he's a punchy rider.
Yeah, the melt-water flowed right across the road coming in and out of the bends on the descent. Skill and cojones were needed for that stage. Certainly "Salvodelli-esque"! I'm glad I got home in time to catch the last 15-20k.

Stage 7 on Friday was something else.
The longest stage of the race was another show of strength by Cunego.
The final Hors category climb was tough going and fair dues to Andy Schleck on a great ride.

what a strange year for the peloton. far too many severe crashes in the past few years. while i'm not complaining about the daredevil descents and i realise that one cannot "death-proof" a course, but the carnage this year is a bit shocking. surprised that j m soler's career took another bad turn with his crash.

that aside, chapeau peter sagan on yet another well placed attack. you seem to be winning more racing fans with every contest.

I have a few questions. I'm really wanting to follow the TDF this year, but don't have TV where I live. Is there a place online I can go to view it live for free? If not, where can I catch the best highlights?

And this new GIANT prototype frame that Rabobank has, is that allowed in the TDF?

Thanks!
DVNDSN

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

And this new GIANT prototype frame that Rabobank has, is that allowed in the TDF?

Is there something special about it? if it broke the rules for the TDF you'd assume it also breaks them for the Tour de Suisse

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

Thanks!
DVNDSN
Any frame used in the ProTour can be used in the TDF.
If Rabo have ridden those frames in races this season, then they're admissible

Wow!!! Brutal loss for Cunego. Rode so well all week, but the time trial must have really bit him. I only know the results, so I'm looking forward to seeing the replay on Versus tonight.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Stage 7 on Friday was something else.
The final Hors category climb was tough going and fair dues to Andy Schleck on a great ride.
In the grand scheme of things (Tour related) was it really such a great ride? Two weeks from the start of the Tour and what was the guys name that won the stage? Never really heard of him before... LOL. Go back a couple of weeks and see how he was getting shelled out of the back by Radio Shack domestiques.

Either the lad is bluffing really really well and not showing his hand until the Tour or he's just f**ked. Even Cancellara isn't riding the time trials as well as he's done in previous years. Short of breif flashes of good riding from Fabian they've done little to nothing all year. Personally, I think splitting from Riis was a huge mistake and not having a DS and support squad like last year has affected his form in the same way that Condator leaving Bruyneel did the year prior - except Andy isn't at, and probably never will be, at the same level as Alberto.

The guys know they're racing for second in the Tour with the hope that Contador is suspended. Contador just reigned supreme in Italy and despite a savage route he really didn't look massively stressed. I don't see Andy on the podium this year in Paris.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah the new Giant frame was used in the Tour de Suisse. I don't know the weight, but it uses some awesome technology. Cervelo has a cool frame out that is among their rarest. Black on black with a matte finish I believe. Really cool frames this year!