2012 S-Works Venge Ultegra DI2 Issue

slbeemer

Aug 7, 2010
I have a 2012 S-Works Venge and ordered Ultegra Di2. I went to install the group set and ran into a number of problems. One is not being able to get the junction box inside the bottom of down tube and the other is the wiring has too big of an OD to fit into he internal cabling holes. Is the 2012 S-Works not compatible with Ultegra DI2? What am I missing?

What are you missing?

Your wiring/mechanical cable holes can be opened up.

According to Specialized, the 2012 Venge was Di2 compatible and has "internal cable routing".. What the term 'compatible' means in this era of non-standard components is open for discussion IMO.

On the Spesh web page that details the 2012 Venge, one of the pictures shows some sort of carbon, aerodynamic box fairing (for lack of a better description) that is mounted under the BB. Maybe this is the battery location and/or the junction box? several pics from the web also seem to show the junction box or splitter mounted to the stem.

It's the item on the left side of the pic. Besides...chewing up carbon fiber with a 1/2" drill bit shouldn't even require a re-charge!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Your wiring/mechanical cable holes can be opened up.

You could also wrap them around led ropes of the Christmas Lighting type and then wrap those around the whole frame instead of running them internally.

Or you could just use compatible-thinner cables.

Drill the carbon frame with a hand-held drill? What's the correct bit for "trashing a 3000 euro carbon frame"? Masonry, Wood or... Metal!!?
big-smile.png

Gonna put it on the "hammer" mode too?
big-smile.png
Why not use a mallet hole-punch instead?
big-smile.png

"Let's see how we did!"
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Originally Posted by slbeemer
I have a 2012 S-Works Venge and ordered Ultegra Di2. I went to install the group set and ran into a number of problems. One is not being able to get the junction box inside the bottom of down tube and the other is the wiring has too big of an OD to fit into he internal cabling holes. Is the 2012 S-Works not compatible with Ultegra DI2? What am I missing?
My first question would be, is your Venge frame even ported (drilled) for internal routing for electronic shifting. My reading of the specs on this frame (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2012/venge/s-worksvengeosbbframeset) turns up nothing regarding electronic shift routing. Are you trying to run your harness through the mechanical cable ports, or am I missing something?

Instead of trying to get helpful advice over a riders' forum from people with little or no experience with 2012 Venges or Di2, I suggest you post the question to the manufacturer's technical support site (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/support/faq). Quite possibly, your Venge may have been ported for the 7970 harness, which is different from the harness used for the E-tube compatible systems, 6770, 6870, and 9070. How different, I don't know.

Another source of help would be your Specialized dealer.