2012 Tour de France

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Cancellara spent a good deal of time in China last olympics getting acclimated to the air and such.
He can come to UK & Ireland to get acclimatised to the rain/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

It's been the wettest June on record in Britain and Ireland - and July's started as June ended unfortunately.
Record rainfall.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Yeah those corkscrew photos looked spectacular. I know that climb was used on the Dauphine. I was more than a little bit surprised to see that yesterday was the first time it was used in the Tour.
Masterpiece of road engineering.
A terrace made of a road.

Don't have idea why it wasn't used before.

final climb. nothing may come of it, but wiggins is isolated. interesting. will evans go for a bite at the throat?

ummm. guess not. blown up.

what an absolute disaster for bmc, especially for a team grouped among the elite. too much post tour 2011 celebration? too much change becoming a star squad? too little attention to racing with a focus?. sky absolutely shreds bmc and every other squad in a clinical, cold-blooded fashion.

No way to get that time back unless he does a Landis immitation , but I just don't see the opportunity with the remaining stages.

I have impression that Nibali and VDB missed their best chance when Froome accelerated and then slowed down to wait for Wiggins.
Wiggo was of the pace at the moment, Nibali and VDB were able to follow Froome, but didn't continue with the pace that put Wiggo in difficulty.

They should have gone all out (if they had anything left). Nibali could have jumped over Froome in GC, or it could break Sky's unity; and it could have been maybe a minute for VDB in two days.
Small gains in succession could bring some new possibilities in the Pyrenees.

No way to get that time back unless he does a Landis immitation , but I just don't see the opportunity with the remaining stages.

Huh? There's still plenty of time to knock back a Jack Daniels and couple beers! (T-patch optional)

BW didn't exactly look to be at his strongest today. When Froome passed the Basso Nibali attack group and picked up the tempo, Wiggo was gassed. He did recover nicely though.

Overall, a very hard final climb. The pace was pretty darned fast from bottom to top. I felt kind of bad for TJ...I think he could have not only held the tempo, but possibly attacked away...maybe with Basso Nibali?

Coulda...shoulda...team orders!

My take is that both Froome and TJ's radios were at full volume with screams of, "Back it down!!!". Froome, particularly, looked a bit frustrated and that last gas-gas over the line was all he could do...

Anyone see Frank run into TJ and Cadel while looking over the wrong shoulder?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB . Anyone see Frank run into TJ and Cadel while looking over the wrong shoulder?
Yes. You could say Frank didn't know where he is.

A very good stage and a great win for Pierre Rolland.

Froome/Wiggins incident was interesting. Froome appeared to attack and Wiggo could not go with him when Froome moved.
I thought at that point Nibali, if he was able to do so, should have attacked because Wiggo didn't look comfortable.

Evans clearly struggled to stay with the Wiggo group but he never gave in and he wasn't blown out the back like other favourites such as Menchov.
Evans will continue to fight I'm sure.

Today was a tough day for sure. Tomorrow looks like a day for Voigt!

Yes. You could say Frank didn't know where he is.

Probably on the radio to Andy, negotiating salaries from a German shampoo company..."How much?...You're breaking up!...What?...who is coming up?...over which shoulder, Andy? Reception is crappy up here until the helo gets out of the way!"

Evans will continue to fight I'm sure.

He's one tough cookie. I think Kneeballee was cooked from his previous accelerations by the time Wig did his temporary blowup. Either that or he "didn't make the calculation". Even without Froome, it looked like Wig had the gas left to recover and go after a tired Nibali. If Froome were off the short leash he could have cruxified the lot of them.

I'll say it again, I think TJ could have also lit this stage up. He looked like it was easy to tow Cadel up the last 3-4K of that mountain.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
....If Froome were off the short leash he could have cruxified the lot of them.

I'll say it again, I think TJ could have also lit this stage up. He looked like it was easy to tow Cadel up the last 3-4K of that mountain.
What could have been - I understand the tactics involved and they make sense, but how fun would Froome vs Van Garderen while chasing down Rolland have been?

Not that the stage sucked, by any means.

steve said:
The road looked unreal, would love to ride up it one day!
We are doing this and all four tomorrow (stage 11) plus many more such as Alpe D'Huez, Galibrier, Mont Ventoux and many more. Five olde pharts are riding all the signature climbs in the Alpes for three weeks in September. 2K for airfare, 3K for the rest. No middle men, no ********. You buy your own ticket, take or leave our shared budget accommodation. Eat in local cafes. Simple as that. Steve, you are welcome if you wish. Serious! Contact me if your interested and I will put you in contact with our scribe.

...but how fun would Froome vs Van Garderen while chasing down Rolland have been?

Just a WAG, but I think they would have run down Rolland. Froome looks very good right now. We'll see how well they recovered today.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

...but how fun would Froome vs Van Garderen while chasing down Rolland have been?

Just a WAG, but I think they would have run down Rolland. Froome looks very good right now. We'll see how well they recovered today.
Oh, I agree - considering he finished a minute up on the group, and Van Garderen and Froome were both CLEARLY held back on the way up.

Originally Posted by Scott2468 .

We are doing this and all four tomorrow (stage 11) plus many more such as Alpe D'Huez, Galibrier, Mont Ventoux and many more.
Five olde pharts are riding all the signature climbs in the Alpes for three weeks in September. 2K for airfare, 3K for the rest. No middle men, no ********. You buy your own ticket, take or leave our shared budget accommodation. Eat in local cafes. Simple as that.
Steve, you are welcome if you wish.
Serious! Contact me if your interested and I will put you in contact with our scribe.
Let us know how you got on?