2012 Ultegra rear derailluer problems

spinintony

Nov 10, 2012
I bought a 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo with Ultegra and FSA kit. My problem so far and is getting very annoying after several trips to the local bike shop, the derailluer will on stay tuned for about two weeks and then when I take off on a ride it sounds makes a loud noise when putting force to the cranks. The noise the best I can describe it sounds like a grinding/not shifting/front derailluer grind, but the front is adjusted so that's not it. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, I love the bike but cannot live with this, please anyone, Thank's in advance.

First thought is that the front derailleur hanger isn't secured tightly and is rotating slightly under load. Unless I'm mistaken the front derailleur hanger on the Gran Turismo is attached to the carbon frame by two button head bolts. If these aren't tight enough the hanger can slip rotationally which can allow the rear of the derailleur cage to come into contact with the chainring teeth and grind.

Maybe I'm way off, but make sure those bolts are tight and that the derailleur hanger can't rotate in the vertical plane under load and that there's sufficient clearance between the rear of the derailleur cage and the teeth on the big ring. I've seen similar problems on a few carbon frames with bolt on and rotationally adjustable derailleur hangers recently that cause problems similar to what you describe.

-Dave

Thank's Dave I'll check that out and do any adjustments if needed. Thank you and I'll let you know if that was the problem.

Check your bottom bracket for radial and axial play and crankarms for proper assembly torque.

The GT's front derailleur hangar is attached using four stainless steel button head caps screws. As suggested, check them for tightness. Also check the front derailleur mounting bolt for tightness and the cage plates for alignment to the chainrings. Check derailleur mounting height for proper vertical clearance from the outer chainring.

You might also want to inspect the torque of the two screws that attach the REAR derailleur hanger to the dropout. Both of my Wilier Izoard XP's had screws that were not fully tightened upon delivery.

In addition to checking the fore mentioned ...

TWO things to look at if the problem has been DAY ONE:

1. presuming you have a 10-speed Shimano drivetrain, then ensure that you have the PROPER Shimano 10-speed chain AND/OR that it is installed properly
  2. ALSO, if-I-were-you then 'I' would check the rear derailleur's cable housing AND cable because it should possibly be replaced ...

• minimally, ensure that the ends of the cable housing are SMOOTH and that there isn't a burr on the ends of the housing OR that it isn't kinked as it exits from the shifter or anywhere else
  • YES, that means that someone has to unwrap the handlebar tape & actually look at the housing & cable -- if you are lazy then you can simply disconnect the derailleur cable from the derailleur & push it forward so that the "end" exits the shifter & push-and-pull it back-and-forth to see how much resistance you feel ... ideally, it should be minimal ...

Now, IMO, the parallel stranded derailleur cable housing which both Shimano & Campagnolo are supplying is something which I find to be a dubious choice ...

• my guess is that some accountant spec'd it in order to save €1.50 per meter of housing ...
  • yes, parallel stranded housing works-when-it-works, but I thought that it had been abandoned by the late 70s yet it seems to have resurfaced with Shimano's STI shifters in the 90s ...
  • regardless, FWIW, 'I' prefer to use coiled brake cable housing for my derailleur cables BECAUSE it doesn't require ferrules whose openings minimal are AND in-my-mind the larger inner diameter of the housing means that there is potentially less friction ...

BUT, if using brake housing cable for your derailleur cables offends you, then pony up for some NOKON cable housing + a new rear derailleur cable and your problem will probably resolved ...

• of course, you'll probably want to replace the front derailleur's cable housing & cable, too

BTW. Your last resort is to sell the Ultegra shifters on eBay & replace them with a pair of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters!!!!

Thank's for all your suggestions, I guess will have go back to the process of elimination....much appreciated...

Thank's for your suggestion of the cable and housing possibility. I'm probably going to get some new cables and housings, the ones that came with the bike are probably a cost cutting measure. Oh well I'll get it fixed eventually, thanks to my old reliable ( Merlin Agilis ) it never lets me down I can still get my miles in. Thank's again...