4. Santambrogio +16
5. Sanchez Gonzalez +16

GC:
1. Paolini
2. Wiggins +17 sec.
3. Uran Uran +17
4. Intxausti Elorriaga +26
5. Nibali +31

Tue, Stage 4 (Long distance stage with hilly end)

1. Battaglin
2. Felline
3. Visconti
4. Uran Uran
5. Jeannesson

GC:
1. Paolini
2. Uran Uran 17"
3. Intxausti Ellorriaga 26"
4. Nibali 31"
5. Hesjedal 34"

nibbles and wiggo very near the top with cuddles and ryder very near to them. this is shaping up to be a very interesting giro.

a bad day indeed for wiggins. the top ten on gc after today's stage makes for an exciting couple of weeks. really looks like garmin have come to race for ryder.

Excellent win for Hansen. It'll look good next to his two Crocodile Trophy victories. Not so excellent day for Wiggins and Sky.

i have to take my hat off to hansen. if i heard it correctly, he actually completed all three g t's last year. nice to see a good soldier get his due once in a while.

As soon as it started raining today I could see Wiggo losing time today.

On stage 4 he lost time on stage because he dropped back on the descent, then lost ground on a couple of corners coming into the finish so he was behind when the crash happened instead of near the front where he should have been. Gives the impression that he doesn't like going downhill in the wet at all...

Which is going to be problematic as the weather at the Giro is often terrible and Nibbles, Evans and Hesj are all relatively good downhill, even in the wet. Obviously Nibali crashed a couple of times today as well but he was right back on his bike and flying again.

Hopefully the TT tomorrow will be dry, otherwise Wiggins will lose time on every single corner (of which there are many) and his main opportunity to put time into the other GC contenders will be lost. Other factor is any lingering effect from the crash - Brailsford has said Wiggin's is fine so hopefully it won't have any impact on his ability to churn out the watts.

Much harder to see Wiggins winning now, and Nibali and co know exactly where to attack - on the downhills every time it rains. Makes you wonder why bike handling isn't part of the "marginal gains" program?

slovakguy said:
i have to take my hat off to hansen.  if i heard it correctly, he actually completed all three g t's last year.  nice to see a good soldier get his due once in a while.
Yes, he did. He's a tough guy.....and a weight weenie. He used to be on Weight Weenies forum, and he does not mind making his own stuff, like his über light weight shoes:

Granted, only 8 stages have been raced in the Giro, but Wiggins doesn't exactly look like a threat right now, and he's arguably not riding like a threat. Would that teams raced as aggressively in the TdF as they do in the Giro.

I had no idea that Alex Dowsett was a hemophiliac. Good on him for not only his stage win but also in not being held back by hemophilia. Pro cycling could use more stories like his and that of Team Type I.