Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite drop bar conversion

Started by coolcamaro12 · · Last activity · 3 posts · 3,950 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 February 2013
Last activity
16 February 2013
Original author
coolcamaro12
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,950
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was wondering if a drop bar conversion would be a good idea on my 2013 specialized Elite? I know I have the "mechanical" skills to put everything together. Also, would this be possible for under $100? I am only a high school student and my budget is very tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated 😄

  2. Under USD 100?
    Unlikely, unless you have a serious stash of parts already.
    Apart from the obvious - the bar - there are several other parts affected. Your brake/shifter combo won't fit on a drop bar. Your brakes won't work with the most commonly available road brake/shifter combos. Your front derailer might not play nice with a road shifter. A drop bar will put your hands 2-4" further forward. If the bike is correctly sized now, you'd need a shorter stem to compensate.

    If all you want is a hunched down position for battling headwinds, consider some drop bar ends.
    If you want multiple hand positions, consider trekking AKA butterfly bars.
    Or maybe try scoring a split drop bar off a department store bike, which'd allow you to mount your current brakes/shifters by the flat center part.

    There are drop bars in flat bar diameter - which would let you reuse your brakes/shifters, sort of - but they're kinda rare.

    You might be better off spending that 100 USD on a used road bike.

  3. THANK you so much! All I really needed was the drop bar ends. I didn't even know they existed! I would give you a cookie if I had one 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.