2013 Tour Down Under :

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Santos Tour Down Under 2013 starts in Australia this weekend.

The start list is yet to be finalised.

The locations and length of each stage are :

1. Stage 1[COLOR= rgb(86, 89, 91)]Tuesday, January 22 2013[/COLOR] Prospect - Lobethal 135 km
  2. Stage 2[COLOR= rgb(86, 89, 91)]Wednesday, January 23 2013[/COLOR] Mount Barker - Rostrevor 116.5 km
  3. Stage 3[COLOR= rgb(86, 89, 91)]Thursday, January 24 2013[/COLOR] Unley - Stirling 139 km
  4. Stage 4[COLOR= rgb(86, 89, 91)]Friday, January 25 2013[/COLOR] Modbury - Tanunda 126.5 km
  5. Stage 5[COLOR= rgb(86, 89, 91)]Saturday, January 26 2013[/COLOR] McLaren Vale - Old Willunga Hill 151.5 km
  6. Stage 6[COLOR= rgb(86, 89, 91)]Sunday, January 27 2013[/COLOR] Adelaide 90 km

3 stages worth watching as I see it:

Stage 3 is a carbon copy of last years stage 2 - has just about enough climbing to drop the sprinters in the run up to the finish and there could be a few gaps here.

This years stage 2 looks like an interesting opportunity for someone who wants to attack hard just before the finish and steal some seconds from the other GC contenders.

Most likely it will come down to stage 5 though, same as last year - two trips up a decent sized hill that will sort out who's in shape and who isn't!

Wouldn't be surprised if GreenEDGE take this race far more seriously than everyone else and the winner comes from their team. Most other teams without an Australian link will be keeping their powder dry for later in the spring.

Originally Posted by Eldrack .

3 stages worth watching as I see it:

Stage 3 is a carbon copy of last years stage 2 - has just about enough climbing to drop the sprinters in the run up to the finish and there could be a few gaps here.

This years stage 2 looks like an interesting opportunity for someone who wants to attack hard just before the finish and steal some seconds from the other GC contenders.

Most likely it will come down to stage 5 though, same as last year - two trips up a decent sized hill that will sort out who's in shape and who isn't!

Wouldn't be surprised if GreenEDGE take this race far more seriously than everyone else and the winner comes from their team. Most other teams without an Australian link will be keeping their powder dry for later in the spring.
I'd say you're correct about GreenEDGE.
This is a home gig for them and they'll be doing their best to try to score stage victories and do well over all on GC.

Stage 5 looks to be the pick of the stages to this viewer

edit : the temperatures in Australia are something else at the moment. I hope they abate for the riders and for the people who have had to deal with terrible fires there

TV Coverage of this race is being drowned in this part of the world by the Australian Open Tennis TV coverage.

More is the pity because I would have liked to have seen Geraint Thomas stage 2 victory.

the race in argentina has my interest--cav, contador, and sagan all on the course.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

the race in argentina has my interest--cav, contador, and sagan all on the course.
Yeah, do you get any coverage of this race on Stateside?

Only got to watch the highlights but good to see Thomas winning! Showed he has some good early season form and some climbing legs - hopefully a sign of things to come for the spring classics.

Originally Posted by steve .

Was this geo restricted?
I got to see some highlights only for some reason.

With the Australian Open Tennis in the final stages we might get some live coverage up here of the TDU. Hopefully!

slovakguy said:
nothing.  just the reports on cycling news and velo news.
Steephill.tv is showing video or a live of feed of the last bits of the races....or so they say. By "showing" I mean they provide a link to such a feed.