2015 SPECIALIZED ROUBIAX SL4 DISC

CNC2203

Sep 4, 2014
Ola', new to forum, may be buying my first full carbon bike a 2015 ROUBIAX SL4 DISC in a couple weeks.

Would like opinions please, thx.
smile.png

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaix-sl4-disc

Tell us what kind of riding you do and what experience/ability level you're at so people can make more accurate recommendations.

I'm anti-discs and anti-Specialized, so I have nothing good to say about that bike in particular. What made you pick that bike?

If that's the style and price range of bike you're looking for, the new Felt Z5 with full 11-speed 105 (crank too, no FSA junk and LOLOLOLOL at Specialized putting full Sora on a $2,000 bike) is probably one of the best <$2,000 bike buys out right now. The only thing I don't like is the paint scheme. Felt's 2015 bikes have unbelievably boring paint schemes (they're ALL black). If you can past how boring it looks (can always spice it up with tires and bar tape), it's an infinitely better bike for the money than that SL4 9-speed joke.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/road/endurance/z5.aspx

50 yr old, have older rebuit TREK 820 mountain, 2014 SPECIALIZED Crosstrail and a 2006 TREK 1000 SL roadbike.

Last year started riding the 820 fulltime had about 300 miles on trails and around town.

Have logged over 2100 miles this year, got the TREK 1000 in may just turned 1000 miles yesterday.

1100 miles on the Crosstrail since january.

Im not whats important i want opinions on the ROUBIAX.

Not a racer.

Trails, commute & 25 to 50 mile road rides.

My local dealer has been great for over 8 years and i want to get a full carbon from them.

I rented a ROUBIAX EXPERT for the day and was hooked.

It all comes down to what i want but looking to hear others ...

Well, personally I'd steer clear of that bike, even when not factoring in my anti-Specialized bias. They have to be smoking the good stuff to ask that much money for a bike equiped with a 9-speed Sora kit. Sora is for <$800 bikes. A bike in that price range from almost any other manufacturer would be a better buy. The Z5 I mentioned is equiped with Shimano's mid-range 105 group that is two steps above Sora and more appropriate for a $2,000 bike. 105 (or SRAM Rival) is what I would expect on any bike in that price range and I would not spend that much on a bike equiped with anything less. The new 105 (5800, which is what the Z5 comes with) has been significantly revised from the prior group (5700) and is now also 11-speed. So even when comparing 105 equiped bikes, pay attention to which generation of 105 they're equiped with.

Thanks for the 105 info.

I have a 105 group on my TREK 1000.

I like SPECIALIZED products, but they are expensive.

Not interested in FELT or other bikes.

Im getting a ROUBIAX.

I raced motorcycles for years.

I have to constantly pinch and remind myself we are talking about bicycles.
tongue.png

I bought a Roubaix last year. Keep in mind when you read this that I am completely new to road bikes. I always rode a mt bike, so a road bike was an adjustment and a bit of a learning curve, especially clip less pedals when I had only rode platform pedals. It is an awesome piece of technology that I am still learning to ride effectively. I bought a Specialized hybrid two years ago, and it is practically my best friend, so I am pretty much enamored with the brand now. Hence going back to them for a road bike, and eventually a full suspension mt bike, so that some day I can say I have the complete range. My hybrid has disc brakes, and I honestly like them better. My humble opinion is that you have picked an awesome bike and will probably get years of great riding from it. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
They have to be smoking the good stuff to ask that much money for a bike equiped with a 9-speed Sora kit.

+1. Specialized makes some really nice bikes and they say that they also offer them with lower end parts to drop their prices a bit.

But for 2000 USD it would make much more sense to get something with a 10 or 11 speed system.

Tiagra is now 10 speed and 105 and so on are also available in 11 speed.

By getting something with 10 speed there are lots of options for replacement cassettes later. 9 speed might be a bit limiting for find cassettes.

Derailleurs apparently have thicker gear sprockets for 8 and 9 speed systems so they are also becoming non compatible if you switch for a 10 speed system.

But derailleurs are not the only problem, since they are kinda cheap compared to the -damn shifters- which can cost around 200 USD each...

If you like the bike (it's a really nice bike btw) maybe giving an extra 50USD and going for a 10 speed (Tiagra?) set up might provide easier upgrades in the future.

If i upgrade from the Sora to 105 10 speed, whats the cost and do i need levers as well as & derailleurs/cassette ?

Great stuff BTW, keep it coming.
smile.png

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaix-sl4-comp-disc

And what about this one ... ^^^^^ ?

Originally Posted by CNC2203
If i upgrade from the Sora to 105 10 speed, whats the cost and do i need levers as well as & derailleurs/cassette ?

Great stuff BTW, keep it coming.
smile.png

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaix-sl4-comp-disc

And what about this one ... ^^^^^ ?

It will be "less" buying a new bike with that groupset then buying a frame and a complete groupset.

How much exactly depends on the dealer.

Btw, 105 has been recently upgraded to 11 speed, so the 10 speed ones might sell for less now.

I just replaced brake pads yesterday on my TREK 1000 [the shop did] and those tires & rims had 200 miles only when i got them in may.

Turned 1000 miles on thurs.

Now my Xero wheels have grooves on the race for the brake pads and i will have to buy new rims next year prolly.

I ride flat out all the time and brake heavy.

Plus im a muscular 265lbs, thats why for me its easier to replace dics pads every 1500 miles than rims.

I just replaced brake pads yesterday on my TREK 1000 [the shop did] and those tires & rims had 200 miles only when i got them in may.

Turned 1000 miles on thurs.

Now my Xero wheels have grooves on the race for the brake pads and i will have to buy new rims next year prolly.

I ride flat out all the time and brake heavy.

Plus im a muscular 265lbs, thats why for me its easier to replace dics pads every 1500 miles than rims.
At your weight, I'd be looking at a bike that would accommodate 32 mm tires. Maybe 28's, but I'd not go smaller. Agree disc brakes would be a plus if you routinely needed braking on screaming downhill runs.

But mainly I'd want stronger and wider wheels, and a stronger frame and fork. I like stuff that holds up, that I don't have to worry about when on fast and bumpy descents. Besides, doesn't Specialized spec a max rider weight of 240 lbs for the SL4?

Not sure the max weight on SL4 ?

I have 700x28 Armadillos now on my TREX, was running 23 Gatorskins all summer on that bike.

Originally Posted by dhk2 Besides, doesn't Specialized spec a max rider weight of 240 lbs for the SL4?
Yes, as with most of their road bikes (some are even lower). Just another reason I'm not a Spec. fan.

Im 15 to 20 pounds over more or less.

I would imagine the bike would hold up fine lessen i have a crash and ive been told carbon wont do well in that event.

The ROUBIAX i rented for the day was light, agile & nimble, no sense of being overloaded.

I think it's more of a "let's cover our ass" number than a realistic failure point. Keep in mind though, that in the unlikely event you have an issue with the frame or fork, they won't hesitate to point to that line in the manual and tell you to go pound sand.

Im 15 to 20 pounds over more or less.

I would imagine the bike would hold up fine lessen i have a crash and ive been told carbon wont do well in that event.

Famous last words:

"It's gonna be fiiiiiiine!
big-smile.png
". (It's gonna get trashed faster at best
wink.png
).

Talking of trash:
big-smile.png

0.jpg