2015 Veloce or 2014 Centaur?

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
Hi!
smile.png

I finally found a LBS that stocks Campy and they also get parts for them. So I was thinking of selling the 2300 shifters and getting a pair of Campy.

I have a Claris Rear Mech and apparently that works fine with 10 speed shifters, even though Claris is 8 speed.

10 speed is fine for me and I can probably get alot of quality cassettes options from older stock.

So question is, now that Campy discontinued the Centaur line for 2015, the shop has these two options:

1. A pair of 10-Speed Centaur with Alu levers, for 140 euroz
2. A pair of 2015 Veloce with Alu levers, for 105 euroz.

Apparently the Veloce shifters are identical to the Centaur shifters, except for the paddle? material and a few more options in the brake lever material for the Centaur (Carbon levers).

The new Veloce shifters have a different paddle design (placed in an angle with the shifter body).

Do you think that there is any value in the 35euroz more expensive 2014 Centaur shifters compared to the 2015 Veloce ones?

Fanks.
smile.png

Since BOTH the Veloce & Centaur shifters have the PowerShift mechansim ([color=808080]vs. the Record[color=ff0000]/[/color]Chorus UltraShift mechanism[/color]), the choice is purely cosmetic, IMO ... So, I would say that the Centaur shifters are NOT worth the €35 premium over the cost of the Veloce shifters.

Just get whichever one is cheaper. Neither are blingy enough to matter at the cafes.

2015 Veloce actually seems more sophisticated then the 2014 Centaur... They changed the downshift paddle! :D

Right they do change the downshift paddle but realistically I agree you should get the cheaper one because in the scheme of things are not necessarily bad but at the same time when it comes to assembling these things you don't want to skimp on the details.