2018 domane sl 5

Snjwllms

Jun 8, 2017
I'm buying my first road bike. I'm new to cycling and thought I would post to see if there are any opinions to help me decide. I think I have decided on the 2018 Domane SL 5. I will get the men's frame as I am told its the same as the women's version but has the option of caliper brakes. Although I like the idea of hydrolic disc brakes, I'm not sure an extra $700 is worth it at my level of riding. I live in a hilly area so I want the access to low gearing. Don't plan to ride in the rain. And I want more stability than I can get on 23 tires. I've called a couple of LBS in my area for options and all have said they don't have anything comparable to the Domane I tried -- which I found a bit shocking. I really wanted to try a Specialized and a Cannondale before deciding, but I'm thinking its a sign that the Domane is the one.

While there are several good reasons to want wider tires, stability isn't one of them. On firm surfaces there's no difference.
Possibly a wider tire (and heavier) tire might bring a little extra stability when riding at speed due to gyroscopic action.

I wouldn't think so hard about brand. The industry is very consistent. Similar money buys you comparable bikes no matter what it says on the frame.
I'm buying my first road bike. I'm new to cycling and thought I would post to see if there are any opinions to help me decide. I think I have decided on the 2018 Domane SL 5. I will get the men's frame as I am told its the same as the women's version but has the option of caliper brakes. Although I like the idea of hydrolic disc brakes, I'm not sure an extra $700 is worth it at my level of riding. I live in a hilly area so I want the access to low gearing. Don't plan to ride in the rain. And I want more stability than I can get on 23 tires. I've called a couple of LBS in my area for options and all have said they don't have anything comparable to the Domane I tried -- which I found a bit shocking. I really wanted to try a Specialized and a Cannondale before deciding, but I'm thinking its a sign that the Domane is the one.

Are you Snjwllms into running religiously every day for quite a few years? Or some other high intensity sport?

IMG_0076.JPG
Are you Snjwllms into running religiously every day for quite a few years? Or some other high intensity sport?

Nope...not me. Definitely not into running. I did get my Domane though...and love it. Although kind of regretting not getting the disc brakes...only thing I can't upgrade.