2018 domane sl 5

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Snjwllms, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Snjwllms

Snjwllms New Member

I'm buying my first road bike. I'm new to cycling and thought I would post to see if there are any opinions to help me decide. I think I have decided on the 2018 Domane SL 5. I will get the men's frame as I am told its the same as the women's version but has the option of caliper brakes. Although I like the idea of hydrolic disc brakes, I'm not sure an extra $700 is worth it at my level of riding. I live in a hilly area so I want the access to low gearing. Don't plan to ride in the rain. And I want more stability than I can get on 23 tires. I've called a couple of LBS in my area for options and all have said they don't have anything comparable to the Domane I tried -- which I found a bit shocking. I really wanted to try a Specialized and a Cannondale before deciding, but I'm thinking its a sign that the Domane is the one.

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

While there are several good reasons to want wider tires, stability isn't one of them. On firm surfaces there's no difference.
    Possibly a wider tire (and heavier) tire might bring a little extra stability when riding at speed due to gyroscopic action.

I wouldn't think so hard about brand. The industry is very consistent. Similar money buys you comparable bikes no matter what it says on the frame.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Are you Snjwllms into running religiously every day for quite a few years? Or some other high intensity sport?

4. Snjwllms

Snjwllms New Member

IMG_0076.JPG
    Nope...not me. Definitely not into running. I did get my Domane though...and love it. Although kind of regretting not getting the disc brakes...only thing I can't upgrade.