206 lbs. buying new wheels

retrorider

Jun 8, 2006
I weigh 206 lbs. and i am looking for new wheels. I want to purchase a set of hubs w/ 28 holes and build up around them. What kind of wheels and spokes should I get? I don't ride hard. I was looking at Mavic Open Pros or CXP-33 and DT swiss spokes. What guage spokes and what type of nipples should I get?

retrorider said:
I weigh 206 lbs. and i am looking for new wheels. I want to purchase a set of hubs w/ 28 holes and build up around them. What kind of wheels and spokes should I get? I don't ride hard. I was looking at Mavic Open Pros or CXP-33 and DT swiss spokes. What guage spokes and what type of nipples should I get?
DB 14/15 (Competiton model in DT) or Race model in Sapim are good all around choice.
Sapim Polyax nipples aid in nipple alignment and add to the durability of the wheel.
Open Pro uses eyelets and sockets, with a full mechanical connection of outer rim wall to inner rim (web) wall; while CXP-33 uses cast sockets held in place by fingered sping metal... no mechanical connection to inner and outer walls.
Why would you use 28 holes when 32 is much more standard?
36 hole isn't a bad idea for riders over 200 pounds and standard depth rims, especially for the rear wheel.

I am also 206#, and just ordered a set from Colorado Cyclist. Ultegra hubs, Mavic open pro, DT stainless 14/15 32 spoke laced 3 cross. $248 shipped.

I'm down to 209 and would probably still get the 32's if for nothing else than peace of mind.

retrorider said:
FWIW, I have a few kilos on you and I have been riding a set of Campy Protons'. They were less than $400, are at least 100 grams lighter than OP's and I have never needed them trued after 6,000 miles. I also have a set of Campy Eurus, they are equally bombproof, and a smoother ride than the Proton's. Now we're talking a higher pricepoint, but worth the extra $ IMHO.

What is the difference between CXP-33 and Open Pros? Is one better than the other? Is one stronger than the other?

retrorider said:
What is the difference between CXP-33 and Open Pros? Is one better than the other? Is one stronger than the other?
CXP's are more aero...

CXP-33 has a deeper rim section (slightly more aero) but are heavier. The Open Pro is a very nice rim, I built up a set with Chris King hubs and DT double butted spokes (32 spokes and 3-cross). Have put about 2500 miles on them, I weigh about 240 lbs., and they have been bomb-proof. I am very happy with them.

First of all, I'd recommend that you simply stop worrying about being "too heavy" for a set of wheels, ESPECIALLY the Open Pros. I'm 200# and did some pretty aggressive off-road riding on a rigid frame (no suspension) bike with 700c Open Pros. They're bulletproof. End of story.

Regarding the lighter weight road wheels, I've ridden Bontrager Select Race for over a year with no problems whatsoever. Cobblestones, rough-stuff, smooth-stuff - you name it.

I think us Clydes would have to put on at least one hundred more lbs. before worrying about wheel failure caused by normal, or even aggressive riding.

MAF

Bontrager wheels don't have a weight limit like every other brand I've looked at ...