20mm for FR?!

motorex259

Sep 21, 2006
do you need a 20mm thru-axel to do modrate freeriding?

and can you do freeride with a hardtail(i dont really care about confort, it is for noobs that want to show off....)

Until you learn good technique you are more likley to bend handlebars, forks, rims or just blow tyres before you have trouble with axles.
20mm axles also provide a lot of fork stiffness and that type of stiffness is probably not going to prevent you from most things.
I like to tackle obstacles in both directions and for this I love my hardtails. I also think it is easier to build a tough hardtail than soft.

i just want to know that becuase my friends think im crazy just doing a 6 feet drop..... LOL they should be worried if i was jumping 10ft..... lol.... my friends are idiots... they want to protect me becuase im the only person they know to fix and install stuff w/ the tools to their bike.... (no me, no fix bike.... cheapscape!)

Now that I've taken a few kilo's off me I've been breaking a lot less gear.
I've switched to a lighter air spring fork and I even have an aluminium front axle with a standard quick release.
We have a few big drops out here but I usually only do slow creep overs. I like the sensation of a controlled drop.

so... you saying it is OK for a teen weighing at 145LB to do a 5-10ft drop with a standard QR....?

Well, your front axle is going to be fine for a while yet. Pedal axles bend easily, so do square taper crank axles. Do you keep the front wheel up until you land or drop into dips,ramps, urban(level concrete)?
I think we've broken more gear doing flat landings off stairs than any natural setting.
I was 96kg until recently, it often took a bit of work to keep a bike together at that.

i dont really know, i mostly try to land on my rear so when my front lands it makes my front fork more usable, i dont use my front becuase i think that it will make flip over...