20mm vs 23mm tyres

Dave

Guest
About a month ago I put some new 23mm tyres on my roadbiketo replace the old 20mm tyres. Having just
got a new pump from Santa that has a pressure gauge I went for a ride this mornign with the correct
pressure for the first time. What I found is that the extra "height" of the tyre means the rear tyre
now rubs against the frame at its point closest to the centre of the bike.. So does that mean I need
to go back to 20mm on the rear? And is there any reason why I shouldn't get my money's worth out of
the new 23mm tyres and use them on the front (it doesn't rub at all)?

And while I'm lookign throught the online sites, can someone explain the difference between tubular
and clincher tyres (or is that just Conti terminology)?

Sounds like you have a Giant. On some of their models, some brands of 23mm tyre will rub as you
indicate. Other brands are ok.

Nick

> About a month ago I put some new 23mm tyres on my roadbiketo replace the old 20mm tyres. Having
> just got a new pump from Santa that has a pressure gauge I went for a ride this mornign with the
> correct pressure for the first time. What I found is that the extra "height" of the tyre means the
> rear tyre now rubs against the frame at its point closest to the centre of the bike.. So does that
> mean I need to go back to 20mm on the rear? And is there any reason why I shouldn't get my money's
> worth out of the new 23mm tyres and use them on the front (it doesn't rub at
all)?

Actually it's an Apollo aluminium frame. Sounds like a costly exercise to work out which 23mm brands
will fit and which ones won't.

Dave wrote:

> the rear? And is there any reason why I shouldn't get my money's worth out of the new 23mm tyres
> and use them on the front (it doesn't rub at all)?

Theres no problem with different tyre sizes front & rear, if thats what you mean. It can be a good
idea. See Sheldon Brown's site.