Ekul Namsob said:Simon Dean said:Simon Brooke wrote:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:hand your driving licence in at the
nearest police station;
So if I leap into your path unannounced, you can cope with that?
Hazard perception is part of the driving test these days. Good drivers
slow down when they see a potential hazard. You did not, you had to
swerve (in your own words 'to avoid a speed bump'!) therefore your
driving was substandard.
That is and always has been a minority viewpoint outside the halls of
the driving standards agency.
I remember being told on this group it was a wonder I ever went anywhere
at all (and I think that it was intended to say that I was hyper
risk-avoiding, not just scared to drive) when I mentioned that I found
it less stressful to drive along dedicated car paths (the M6 & M5 in
this case) for urban journeys because you didn't have to look out for
all the people potentially behind parked cars, on the pavements, etc.
I think also my point of view that when passing a pavement cyclist you
need to leave at least as much room as you would overtaking one on the
road (either by car or by bike) was pooh-poohed, too.
I've watched, in particularly nihilistic voyeuristic moods (matched, it
would seem by approximately 10% of the population, given that it's prime
time TV) the "Traffic Cops" show, where police officers seem perfectly
happy to call occasions where a motorist crashes into a stranded vehicle
'just an accident'.
And I've mentioned occasions when I thought it prudent to do an
emergency stop in a car to a friend, and they've failed to believe that
I knew that there was no-one following my car before I hit the brakes.
And so on, and so on.
And getting back to vulnerable road users, you can bet that when I walk
round my (20mph) neighbourhood, if the opportunity arises, I'll happily
feint the kind of move that so upset Mr Dean if I see people driving
like that.
--
A