20x20; SST; FTP... %HRMax

catlike

Jun 21, 2007
I know that training by Heart rate is considered old school or inefficient on this forum, but i do not have a powermeter, i doubt i will have one in next 10 or so years. So, can somebody convert the terms like 20x20 or SST, FTP to % of HRmax terminology? Or point a link to thread where the training is described based on %HRMax? Advice for a good book (with winter training plans) for person who can exercise only 5-10 hours per week needed as well.
P.S. I did use search machine, but with little success

Most of the terms are defined here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t386984.html

FWIW I only do about three hours a week right now and it seems to be enough to maintain fitness and improve a little too. I do 3x20s mostly thats 3 intervals 20 minutes each with a five minute break inbetween intervals. I don't go by Max heart rate(185bpm age early 40s) but I stay close to threshold (163bpm for me) In heart rate if I choose the right intensity (19.9mph lately on the KKR) it looks like this 1)153avg-162max, 2)159avg 164max, 3)161avg-166max time above zone(164 or higher) 1 to 5 minutes. That is SST aproximately (Sweet Spot Training) if I get 159bpm average during the second interval without going above 164bpm.

I posted this on another forum recently:

Typically intervals are best set in a power band with a given duration, rest period and number of intervals (and sometime a number of sets). For shorter efforts (20 min or less), HR is not a useful guide to intensity.

Be aware of what is known as "cardiac drift", i.e. the tendenciy for HR to rise with time when performing a steady state effort. Here is an example of a 1 hour hardish tempo ride. Power line is the squiggly yellow line (avg is shown by the horizontal dotted line) and HR is the red line. See how HR drifts up over time.

TempoWorkout.jpg

Same thing happens in the classic 2x20min interval sets. Indeed note how HR takes a few minutes to rise after power has already reached the targeted level.

TTWorkout.jpg

Hence if you rode to a stready HR, your power (IOW speed) would actually fall over time, making the intervals less effective.

Another proxy for power is speed on a home trainer (as long as the trainer has a consistent resistence level).

Alex Simmons said:
Another proxy for power is speed on a home trainer (as long as the trainer has a consistent resistence level).
I was just going to say the same thing...

Before getting a PM, I used speed/PE as a proxy for power on my rollers for years. While not ideal, it's certainly better than going by HR.

Dave

Use HR and find out your LTHR and use that as your "FTP" number. After you use this number to base your zones. Remember what it feels like in each zone AKA PE.. percieved effort. When you start doing your 2x20 SST intervals use your HR as a guide but dont become a slave to it.... Allow it to raise and lower long as your PE stays steady.

Again dont become a slave to the HR zones!!! There will be some upward drift with your HR when you do SST intervals no doubt if not..... theres a good chance youre doing sub SST work. Remember what it feels like when you ride at LTHR and confirm with your HRM. Use this PE as your guide with SST intervals.

wfrogge said:
Use HR and find out your LTHR and use that as your "FTP" number. After you use this number to base your zones. Remember what it feels like in each zone AKA PE.. percieved effort. When you start doing your 2x20 SST intervals use your HR as a guide but dont become a slave to it.... Allow it to raise and lower long as your PE stays steady.

Again dont become a slave to the HR zones!!! There will be some upward drift with your HR when you do SST intervals no doubt if not..... theres a good chance youre doing sub SST work. Remember what it feels like when you ride at LTHR and confirm with your HRM. Use this PE as your guide with SST intervals.
This is what I did, On a day when I felt fairly well rested, I performed a 2x20 session and found my L4 based on heart rate, at the same time I monitored my average speed, cadence and gearing to estimate my workload. Subsequent workouts are all based on the same cadence and gearing and trying to maintain same average speed. Improvements are monitored by increases in average speed, from workout to workout. I pretty much ignore the heart rate as I have found it to be extremely variable. Although this method is not as accurate as a PM. It feels very much like the 2x20s everyone here describes where the last 5-10 minutes i tend to reach L4 in terms of HR and PE.

Please help me,I am able to paste any graph from athlete homepage to this question or in Word document,for example Mean Maximal Power Curve,but I am not able to do it with the horizontal graph of single ride as You did it in Your reply.Please,what is the right technicue for copying and pasteing of horizontal graph to the Word document or this reply?Thanks for Your answer.
Alex Simmons said:
I posted this on another forum recently:

Typically intervals are best set in a power band with a given duration, rest period and number of intervals (and sometime a number of sets). For shorter efforts (20 min or less), HR is not a useful guide to intensity.

Be aware of what is known as "cardiac drift", i.e. the tendenciy for HR to rise with time when performing a steady state effort. Here is an example of a 1 hour hardish tempo ride. Power line is the squiggly yellow line (avg is shown by the horizontal dotted line) and HR is the red line. See how HR drifts up over time.

TempoWorkout.jpg

Same thing happens in the classic 2x20min interval sets. Indeed note how HR takes a few minutes to rise after power has already reached the targeted level.

TTWorkout.jpg

Hence if you rode to a stready HR, your power (IOW speed) would actually fall over time, making the intervals less effective.

A post to overcome spam. Personally, I can get enough Hot Sell, but Tyson's practice of posting just to stay ahead might work.