21.06.03. Mount Zavizan-Croatia Climb Report

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Rajko Malojcic, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Mount Zavizan climb has been organized for the first time and an illlustrated report can be found at
    www.senj.hr in "Hrvatski" page. Anybody wishing to repeat it can obtain information from
    [email protected] .

    Tags:

  2. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:43:54 +0200, Rajko Malojcic wrote:

    > Mount Zavizan climb has been organized for the first time and an illlustrated report can be found
    > at www.senj.hr in "Hrvatski" page. Anybody wishing to repeat it can obtain information from
    > [email protected] .

    We are going to Croatia this summer for holidays (car, camping). Obviously we will spend at least
    some time on the coast or on some island, and we plan to go see the Plitvice lakes. There are two
    things I was wondering.

    The first one (off topic for this NG) is whether there are other areas inland that we should plan to
    visit. Note that we are camping, and that camping guides indicate basically no camping grounds
    except on the coast.

    The second one is whether we should take our bikes with us. I am a bike fan but my wife and children
    are not, and it will be worth taking them only if we can do nice and easy rides on quiet roads.

    Thanks to any Croatian who could give me hints on these questions.

    And by the way, in which area is Mount Zavizan ?

    Jacques

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Jacques, Mt Zavizan is in the Velebit mountain range, about 30 kilometers south of Senj. Other
    points of interest are Risjnak National Park north-east of Reijka and Paklenica National Park near
    Zadar. I would not advise on cycling in the summer mainly because of the temperature and the very
    busy road along the coast, further inland minor roads are better because of the lack of traffic,
    problem however is you have almost always have to go up over a mountainrange +1000m ; Most climbs
    are pretty steep; The easier rides are on some of the islands (but not on all islands). Check out
    http://www.croatia.hr/home.php?setlang=de for info on the country.

    Peter