21 Days to prepare for Hilly 110kms race. Advice welcome

Personally I would be hitting the trainer 3 days a week and doing some intervals. In my opinion better than going out for a ride outdoors even if that ride includes hills. I'd then do 2 moderate intensity rides indoors or outdoors and one 3-4 hour ride outdoors on Sunday. That's what I'm doing for the Taranaki Cycle Challenge at the end of January (New Zealand).

Even though it's summer here in New Zealand we've had some **** weather. I've been very glad to stay inside on the trainer. Today I'll be inside on the trainer. Very windy outside where I am.

Hi from Auckland.
Even though its not much of a Summer so far its still reasonable riding weather and I'll keep taking advantage of it this week.

I might have to have a hour or so (hopefully not more) on my rollers as I have to look after our boys while my wife works.

Good luck with the Taranaki Cycle Challenge. I'm kind of tempted to drive down for it but its a long way and then sorting accommodation too....

Its a great race. I hope you do well.

Paul

The big race is a week from today. Cut your mileage in half this week and cut your intervals just a bit. You need some intensity all week (just lower volume) because anaerobic fitness starts to decline in just 2-3 days whereas aerobic fitness does not tail off for about 2 weeks. No workout between now and next Saturday will make you any fitter. Hard workouts now can only make yourself fatigued and less able to stay with the pack. Freshness matters.

Thanks for the good advice. I won't do over say 50kms in a ride and make them (relatively) easy - though there are hills involved. I didn't realise
anaerobic fitness declined so fast!

Paul

Thanks for the good advice. I won't do over say 50kms in a ride and make them (relatively) easy - though there are hills involved. I didn't realise
anaerobic fitness declined so fast!

Paul

You start to lose Lactate dehydrogenase that allows you to convert lactate from anaeorbic efforts. The conversion from lactate to pyruvate might not be considered anaerobic by some but that is what I was referring to. You don't start to lose plasma volumes until 1 week and they drop for 2 weeks.....this is why I never understand some endurance coaches who give 3 week extreme tapers to their athletes. I am sorry, I do not have the links to support what I say. I do remember seeing a very nice chart from Joe Friel's blog that showed fitness, form, and fatique levels for us older athletes. We detrain somewhat quicker and it takes longer to regain fitness.

Blowing up in a race with sections of tough climbs or constant rollers is easy to do. That's why it is critical to hit the bottom of the climbs as recovered as possible. Do your work on the climbs and let the guys in front of you get you to the base of the climbs.

If you do blow...recover. And you will recover. It will probably only take a minute or two of reduced effort. Then look around for helpers. I missed the part about the 1000-rider field. Holy ****! If that is going to be a massed start event with only two fields...God help the crashes in the first 5 miles!

In the States that would be split into a half-dozen or more staggered start groups by age, gender and experience/speed.

Good luck, BBB! Ride heads up and within yourself. You'll suffer, for sure. That's racing, but have yourself some fun! And always remember...victory is not always found crossing the finish line, but in having found the courage to get to the starting line.

Rider numbers; I don't know where the 1000 idea came from - there'll be about 250.
I rode 45 hilly kms last night. Should've gone out on Sunday but enjoyed the break.
Here am I crossing the bridge at Taupaki - screen shot of my Fly6 image.

Attachments

• DSCN8242.JPG
    DSCN8242.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 24
Rider numbers; I don't know where the 1000 idea came from - there'll be about 250.

I looked at last years event results. There were about 1000. The overall placings for your event go past 688. It is easy to get lost in that group.

Last edited:
I looked at last years event results. There were about 1000. The overall placings for your event go past 688. It is easy to get lost in that group.

You're right - there's lots more people than I remember!

There is a similar event in Febuary that uses the same course that's maybe not as popular - I've done that one several times too and with any luck will do it again as well.

I did it. As Ed Hilary said, I "knocked the ******* off".
108kms, over 1200 meters of climbing and temp in the high 20s.
It was hard and I was slow but I just plodded along, mostly riding by myself rather than having to speed up to hang on to groups & making the most of my 34 c/ring.

If I can stick to my goal of doing two 100kms + rides a week (doable when our boys are back at school) it'll bode well for the race season coming up.

Thanks guys for your interesting and words of encouragement, Paul