21st Century Flats differ from 20th

Ron Hardin

Guest
Flats in the 21st Century seem to have a new character : nearly all
of my recent flats have been from sidewall cord failures in the
casing abrading the tube until it leaks. And I don't ride over
anything that would stress cords.

The 20th Century was a century of punctures and no cord failures,
as I'd expect to continue.

Maybe somebody is throwing rocks at my tires with me unaware.

Maybe modern tire cords suck.

Another new failure mode : tire pump leaks in the hose that let all
the air out of the tire (fixed, fortunately, by pen knife hose shortening
and twisty-tie air-right hose reattachment).

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Flats in the 21st Century seem to have a new character : nearly all
> of my recent flats have been from sidewall cord failures in the
> casing abrading the tube until it leaks. And I don't ride over
> anything that would stress cords.
>
> The 20th Century was a century of punctures and no cord failures,
> as I'd expect to continue.
>
> Maybe somebody is throwing rocks at my tires with me unaware.
>
> Maybe modern tire cords suck.

....Maybe you started using Continental tires
around the turn of the century?

http://www.eleventooth.com/images/bikesbags/CIMG4315bandb.JPG

Robert

[email protected] wrote:

> ...Maybe you started using Continental tires
> around the turn of the century?

You may be onto something. I started using Continentals around
the turn of the month (I was looking for something with better
grip than the Michelin Pro Race that didn't grip sufficiently
last month and left me with a nice raspberry on my hip), and I've
already replaced one due to a sidewall failure.

Larry Coon
University of California

Larry Coon wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > ...Maybe you started using Continental tires
> > around the turn of the century?

> You may be onto something. I started using Continentals around
> the turn of the month (I was looking for something with better
> grip than the Michelin Pro Race that didn't grip sufficiently
> last month and left me with a nice raspberry on my hip), and I've
> already replaced one due to a sidewall failure.

Hmmm...Continental sidewall failure after just one month
of service. From this we can deduce you either (1) breathed
on the Continental sidewall, or (2) went around some
corners with it. Either scenario will split those Contis
faster than you can say dankeshein.

Robert