$2300- What Bike should i buy

Benno7

Apr 15, 2011
Looking for first road bike. Looking at a Giant tcr composite 1. any suggestions. also im 6'4, the bike shop says the XL 58.5cm frame fits me because Giant have alonger effective top tube length. And can get seat up high enough.

$2300 total .

Less:

$800 for a PowerTap rear wheel.
$100 for cassettes that suit your riding style.
$50 for a couple decent tires.
$60 helmet
$20 ?? pump
$50 ?? shoes

But there are lots of good bikes for $2000-2500. Find one that is sold by your local bike shop. Make sure it fits. Make sure you can afford all the other things you need.

Originally Posted by Benno7 .

Looking for first road bike. Looking at a Giant tcr composite 1. any suggestions. also im 6'4, the bike shop says the XL 58.5cm frame fits me because Giant have alonger effective top tube length. And can get seat up high enough.
You can get full Titanium Motobecane frame bikes at http://www.bikesdirect.com/ for $1700 with full Ultegra; or a full carbon Kestrel with full Sram Force for $1899. take a gander at the site and browse for other bikes if those don't get you salivating.

Here's one perhaps worth considering:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&OPTION=LOAD_PRODUCT_BY_ID&PRODUCT.ID=9083

Originally Posted by Froze .

You can get full Titanium Motobecane frame bikes at http://www.bikesdirect.com/ for $1700 with full Ultegra; or a full carbon Kestrel with full Sram Force for $1899. take a gander at the site and browse for other bikes if those don't get you salivating.
+1.

Lots of good options there that would leave you a few hundred greenbacks to spend on other accessories. I would second the look at titanium, too--it will likely last longer than carbon, and it is more likely to survive an oopsident.

Jason

What kind of riding are you wanting to do? There are plenty of nice racing bikes, touring bikes, and sport/touring bikes out there that can be had for $2300 or less. If you don't know a lot about the full fitting of a bicycle and how to assemble a bike, I would suggest that you not purchase a bike off the internet. At 6'4", you might want to get a less expensive bike and then continue saving until you can afford a custom built bike to fit you.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

What kind of riding are you wanting to do? There are plenty of nice racing bikes, touring bikes, and sport/touring bikes out there that can be had for $2300 or less. If you don't know a lot about the full fitting of a bicycle and how to assemble a bike, I would suggest that you not purchase a bike off the internet. At 6'4", you might want to get a less expensive bike and then continue saving until you can afford a custom built bike to fit you.

Sorry but this is mostly bull. Most custom made bikes are purchased over the internet!!!! That's right, over the internet and never going to the shop to get fitted or see the bike being built. One of the most famous, and one of the most expensive, and you have to wait the longest to get the bike is Richard Sachs, and there is a list longer then my arm of famous custom bike builders who deal over the internet. And when you get a custom bike via internet you have some assembly to do...or for about $75 you can take it to a bike shop and they'll put it together for you.

Does 6' 4" present a problem? Only if your buying at Walmart for the most part. You find some limitations in factory built bikes, but I'm 6' 1" and ride a 56, all of the Ti's at Bike Direct I looked at goes to 59 which should fit someone around 6' 4" depending on inseam of course. You can always e-mail them with your height and inseam measurements and they will respond as to what's the best size for you.

i went with the giant tcr comp 1, have had 3 rides and are very happy with it, seems to fit well and rides great. the extra gear (lights,jersey, pants, shoes, pedals etc etc) ended up costing another $400. now just have to get through the sore **** period.

Good choice, Benno. I hope you get many fun miles out of it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif