24 Hour Charity Ride Question

Jim

Guest
Last summer I beat my old distance PB of 177 miles in a day, and got to 202
miles, which took from 0320 - 1720.

I'd really like to attempt riding for 24 hours this summer, to see how far I
could go.

I was thinking also of doing it for charity, as it'd be nice to raise some
money, then it won't just be about my own ego.

I wonderdd if anyone else has ridden done a 24 hour ride before, and if so,
if they had any tips.

Questions which spring to mind, that I'd ask someone if I could:

1. What's the best time to start? I was thinking of 10pm, getting the dark
out of the way first. Was planning the ride for longest day time in June.

2. Is it easier to choose a circular route, and then keep riding around it,
e.g. a 50 mile route. Downside = that would get tedious. Other option is to
plan the route out in detail, but then you risk stopping all the time to
look at a map, which adds time and frustration. I hate having to stop and
look at maps because I feel like I'm wasting time. Or just ride for 12
hours, and turn around, and ride back again...

3. Wondered if anyone had advice about doing a ride for charity, in terms of
.... would you ask for a set amt. per mile, or just, anything gratefully
received for my ride?

3. Any other advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Jim <[email protected]> wrote:

> Last summer I beat my old distance PB of 177 miles in a day, and got to 202
> miles, which took from 0320 - 1720.
>
> I'd really like to attempt riding for 24 hours this summer, to see how far I
> could go.
>
> I was thinking also of doing it for charity, as it'd be nice to raise some
> money, then it won't just be about my own ego.
>
> I wonderdd if anyone else has ridden done a 24 hour ride before, and if so,
> if they had any tips.

The easiest option would be to enter the 24hr time trial this year.
You'll know exaclty how far you have travelled then, as well as having
marshalls at various points along the course, with attendant feed
stations/rest points.
IIRC, they start and finish at 2pm (as do the MTB 24hr races)
Cheap to enter at £15, but you have to be in a Club that has RTTC
affiliation,so add another £20 or so if you are not in a club.

Or, try out a 24hr MTB race. Sleepless in the Saddle in August is
probably the best for 'newbies' as it is not so race centred as the
Kona/Red Bull, (or whatever else it is called now) which is held in
June.
Alan.

Thanks Alan,

Is that the 24 Hr one they do around Kinnerton? Where the winners go to 475
+ miles? With huge bulging thighs, and lightweight streamlined bikes? And me
on my ancient Harry Hall, with tiny legs, and 300 miles if I'm lucky!!!

But I can see that being in an organised event makes sense - my wife would
prefer me to do something like that as she'd not worry about me so much
then. But also, I'm not in a bike club, as I don't have time to be in one.

Sorry to sound so negative, and thank you very much for taking the time to
reply.

Jim

Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The easiest option would be to enter the 24hr time trial this year.
> > You'll know exaclty how far you have travelled then, as well as having
> > marshalls at various points along the course, with attendant feed
> > stations/rest points.
> > IIRC, they start and finish at 2pm (as do the MTB 24hr races)
> > Cheap to enter at £15, but you have to be in a Club that has RTTC
> > affiliation,so add another £20 or so if you are not in a club.

> Is that the 24 Hr one they do around Kinnerton? Where the winners go to 475
> + miles? With huge bulging thighs, and lightweight streamlined bikes? And me
> on my ancient Harry Hall, with tiny legs, and 300 miles if I'm lucky!!!

It isnt the winning - only 3 or maybe 4 have any hope of winning it, -
in these events, it is the taking part for the majority of riders.
No, 475 miles wouldnt be enough - 501 miles won last year.
Look at the results - some low mileages there, so even of you 'only'
managed 150 miles, you wouldnt be last.
And the bike doesnt matter. 1 bloke from my old Club did it every year
on his tourer bike, as it was the most comfortable bike he had - it's no
good sitting on a race bike if you can only ride it for 2 hours as the
position is so cramped.
Alan.

Thanks Alan, that's really useful.

I know it's silly to not want to enter something for fear of not winning. I
know I don't have a hope of winning, I think it's more that I would feel v.
intimidated entering something like that, when there is such talent
involved, and also when I am used to doing all of my cycling on my own. But
for 24 hrs riding in a single sitting, it might be worth trying, just for
the support and organisation.

Thanks again

Jim

A.Lee wrote:

> http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/results.asp?Month=200707&Page=2&ID=
> 52307

Jings.

501 miles in 24 hours is 20.8mph continuously... Even the lassie's distance
is 19.1 mph. And that doesn't include stopping to **** or change water
bottles. I'm left halfway between [chapeau] and [boggle].

However, about half the field is between 300 and 350 miles - 12mph and 14.5
mph respectively. And that, I could do. And, if the OP is fit enough to
ride continuously for twenty four hours at all, then so could he. The
slowest finisher in last year's event covered just 45.83 miles or slightly
less than two miles an hour - so any serious cyclist is not going to come
last.

In any case, what does it matter if you come last in a time trial? I usually
do, and it doesn't stop me.

;; have mercy on the slender grass

Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
Snip 24hr TT's
> I know it's silly to not want to enter something for fear of not winning. I
> know I don't have a hope of winning, I think it's more that I would feel v.
> intimidated entering something like that, when there is such talent
> involved, and also when I am used to doing all of my cycling on my own. But
> for 24 hrs riding in a single sitting, it might be worth trying, just for
> the support and organisation.

In these races, there is very little of a race mentality. As I said
earlier, it is the taking part, and hopefully, finishing, that is the
main aim of 75% of the field.
The other 25% either have a chance of winning (up to 5 riders
typically), or going all out to beat their previous best.

Their will be encouragement from everyone on the course - it is the last
24hr road event, and does draw a good crowd, with support for all
riders, as everyone knows what an endurance it is, and an excellent
achievement to stay on your bike for so long.
Alan.

> A.Lee wrote:
>
>> http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/results.asp?Month=200707&Page=2&ID=
>> 52307

> Jings.
>
> 501 miles in 24 hours is 20.8mph continuously... Even the lassie's
> distance
> is 19.1 mph. And that doesn't include stopping to **** or change water
> bottles. I'm left halfway between [chapeau] and [boggle].
>
> However, about half the field is between 300 and 350 miles - 12mph and
> 14.5
> mph respectively. And that, I could do. And, if the OP is fit enough to
> ride continuously for twenty four hours at all, then so could he. The
> slowest finisher in last year's event covered just 45.83 miles or slightly
> less than two miles an hour - so any serious cyclist is not going to come
> last.
>
> In any case, what does it matter if you come last in a time trial? I
> usually
> do, and it doesn't stop me.

Simon,

The slowest finisher didn't finish. I was getting excited at the prospects
of me having a go until I spotted that the last four riders with recorded
mileages had not cycled after the first 12 hours. One rider even managed to
cycle backwards for six miles or so as his final mleage was less than his 12
hour mileage :) Have alook at rider 72's didtances.....

It shouldn't matter about one's position. I'm accustomed to coming in last
when I do a 200km Audax or a hilly 100 doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I have contacted Congleton CC to see
if I can join just so I can enter the 24 hr event.
I really appreciate your help.
Jim

A.Lee wrote:

> Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> Snip 24hr TT's
>> I know it's silly to not want to enter something for fear of not winning.
>> I know I don't have a hope of winning, I think it's more that I would
>> feel v. intimidated entering something like that, when there is such
>> talent involved, and also when I am used to doing all of my cycling on my
>> own. But for 24 hrs riding in a single sitting, it might be worth trying,
>> just for the support and organisation.

> In these races, there is very little of a race mentality. As I said
> earlier, it is the taking part, and hopefully, finishing, that is the
> main aim of 75% of the field.
> The other 25% either have a chance of winning (up to 5 riders
> typically), or going all out to beat their previous best.
>
> Their will be encouragement from everyone on the course - it is the last
> 24hr road event, and does draw a good crowd, with support for all
> riders, as everyone knows what an endurance it is, and an excellent
> achievement to stay on your bike for so long.

In the pictures, one of the riders is wearing a cycling cap rather than a
helmet. Is this permitted, or do you have to wear a helmet during the
event? Also, is the circuit closed to motor traffic during the event, or
open?

Oh, and, how long are the laps? Going round and round in little circles for
twenty-four hours strikes me as a lot tougher than a 300 mile audax...

But there is something strangely tempting about it.

;; Diplomacy, American: see Intelligence, Military

> Oh, and, how long are the laps? Going round and round in little circles
> for
> twenty-four hours strikes me as a lot tougher than a 300 mile audax...
>
> But there is something strangely tempting about it.

This has some info about the course, but I can't work it out, probably
because I am dim:
http://mersey24hr.tripod.com/id14.htm

Photos are interesting:
http://mersey24hr.tripod.com/id18.htm

There aren't any old heavy touring bikes laden with a pannier on these
photos, which is what mine will look like on the day, if I enter! I'll feel
like a clapped out old whale (well, I'm 34), in amongst a shoal of baracuda,
or something!

Simon Brooke wrote:

>A.Lee wrote:
>
>> Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Snip 24hr TT's
>>> I know it's silly to not want to enter something for fear of not winning.
>>> I know I don't have a hope of winning, I think it's more that I would
>>> feel v. intimidated entering something like that, when there is such
>>> talent involved, and also when I am used to doing all of my cycling on my
>>> own. But for 24 hrs riding in a single sitting, it might be worth trying,
>>> just for the support and organisation.

>> In these races, there is very little of a race mentality.

>> Their will be encouragement from everyone on the course - it is the last
>> 24hr road event, and does draw a good crowd, with support for all
>> riders, as everyone knows what an endurance it is, and an excellent
>> achievement to stay on your bike for so long.

>In the pictures, one of the riders is wearing a cycling cap rather than a
>helmet. Is this permitted, or do you have to wear a helmet during the
>event?

You are from oop north aren't you Simon? IIRC time trials in Scotland
are organised by the SCU and therefore you have to wear a lid. Down
here in England and Wales it the RTTC (or whatever it is called now)
which does not have a rule about lids.

> Also, is the circuit closed to motor traffic during the event, or
>open?

Open

>Oh, and, how long are the laps? Going round and round in little circles for
>twenty-four hours strikes me as a lot tougher than a 300 mile audax...

Typicaly the course for these long distance time based events consists
of a few out and back loops with a finishing circuit. The trick is to
get you to do enough time on the long loops before you go onto the
circuit.

>But there is something strangely tempting about it.

Rather you than me.

In news:1ibccg4.1gxth4k43zcx8N%alan@darkroom.+.com,
A.Lee <alan@darkroom.+.com> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> And the bike doesnt matter. 1 bloke from my old Club did it every year
> on his tourer bike, as it was the most comfortable bike he had - it's
> no good sitting on a race bike if you can only ride it for 2 hours as
> the position is so cramped.

ISTR that current record holder Andy Wilkinson used to do much of his
long-distance time-trialling on a mountain bike equipped with slicks and
tri-bars, as it was more comfortable than his normal TT mount.

Until someone persuaded him onto a carbon Giant and into the record books...

--
Dave Larrington
The best way to confuse a Daily Mail reader is to tell it that

Phil Cook wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>>A.Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Snip 24hr TT's
>>>
>>> In these races, there is very little of a race mentality.

>>> Their will be encouragement from everyone on the course - it is the last
>>> 24hr road event, and does draw a good crowd, with support for all
>>> riders, as everyone knows what an endurance it is, and an excellent
>>> achievement to stay on your bike for so long.

>>In the pictures, one of the riders is wearing a cycling cap rather than a
>>helmet. Is this permitted, or do you have to wear a helmet during the
>>event?

> You are from oop north aren't you Simon? IIRC time trials in Scotland
> are organised by the SCU and therefore you have to wear a lid.

You're so right!

> Down
> here in England and Wales it the RTTC (or whatever it is called now)
> which does not have a rule about lids.

Lucky old you.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last summer I beat my old distance PB of 177 miles in a day, and got to
> 202 miles, which took from 0320 - 1720.
>
> I'd really like to attempt riding for 24 hours this summer, to see how far
> I could go.
>
> I was thinking also of doing it for charity, as it'd be nice to raise some
> money, then it won't just be about my own ego.
>
> I wonderdd if anyone else has ridden done a 24 hour ride before, and if
> so, if they had any tips.
>
> Questions which spring to mind, that I'd ask someone if I could:
>
> 1. What's the best time to start? I was thinking of 10pm, getting the dark
> out of the way first. Was planning the ride for longest day time in June.
>
> 2. Is it easier to choose a circular route, and then keep riding around
> it, e.g. a 50 mile route. Downside = that would get tedious. Other option
> is to plan the route out in detail, but then you risk stopping all the
> time to look at a map, which adds time and frustration. I hate having to
> stop and look at maps because I feel like I'm wasting time. Or just ride
> for 12 hours, and turn around, and ride back again...
>
> 3. Wondered if anyone had advice about doing a ride for charity, in terms
> of ... would you ask for a set amt. per mile, or just, anything gratefully
> received for my ride?
>
> 3. Any other advice much appreciated!
>
> Thanks

I know a couple of chaps who regularly do odd challenges. The have done
LEJO, then C2C, Reivers etc, this year they did a cycle, then walk the 3
peaks then a cycle then canoe the length of Windermere then cycle.

The other year though they were challenged by the British Legion to cycle
from Keighley then to Bridlington then back to Blackpool then back to
Keighley as distance I believe of 300miles and they were challenged to do it
in under 30 hours.

They set off in the morning about 6.30am and finished late afternoon the
following day. I'm not certain how much sleep they got (in the back of a
van).

They did raise quite a bit of money though for the Legion.

Dave

In news:[email protected],
Dave <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> The other year though they were challenged by the British Legion to
> cycle from Keighley then to Bridlington then back to Blackpool then
> back to Keighley as distance I believe of 300miles and they were
> challenged to do it in under 30 hours.

ISTR at least two nutters who did the 3 Coasts 600 - start time 06:00 -
last year and finished in time to do the Good Companions 200 (almost, but
not quite, a repeat of the second leg of the 3 Coasts) at about 08:00 the
following morning.

It will come as little surprise to hear that one of them was Steve Abraham.

--
Dave Larrington
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative.