24 hour salad

Bettye Russell

Guest
i am a lurker,but was wondering if anyone has the recipe, i've heard
fro a friend but she did not make it,it was served at a dinner party.
thank you

Bettye Russell wrote:
> i am a lurker,but was wondering if anyone has the recipe, i've heard
> fro a friend but she did not make it,it was served at a dinner party.
> thank you

Bettye, there are tons of recipes for "24-hour salad." What you should
probably do, since you apparently know at least some of the
ingredients, is go to "Google," and search: "recipes 24 hour salad."

Here's one rather usual type:

24 Hour Salad
Recipe By :Mabel Adams (1955)

Dressing
3 eggs -- beaten
4 tbl sugar
2 tbl vinegar
Salad
2 cups banana -- sliced
2 oranges -- cut up
2 cups marshmallows -- chopped, or mini marshmallows
2 cups pineapple -- drained
2 cups whipping cream

For dressing: Mix all ingred. Cook until it coats the spoon. Cool.
For Salad: Mix fruit together with whipping cream. Fold in the
dressing. Refrigerate until serving time.

This is from "recipelink.com." Additionally, there are a bunch of
"24-hour salads" that are vegetable salads.

Have fun!

N.

"Bettye Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> i am a lurker,but was wondering if anyone has
> the recipe, i've heard fro a friend but she did
> not make it,it was served at a dinner party.

Here's the one that I've made; it's ingredient and rather time intensive,
but the results are pretty darned good. :) And I think it serves closer to
eight -- we were four at lunch and we hardly made a dent in it ... of
course, the fact that there were a bunch of other things on the table might
have had something to do with it (me? Cook at least twice the required
amount of food? NEVER!).

Layered Chef's Salad with Tuna Mayonnaise

From The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

Serves 6

3 cups mixed torn greens (romaine, red leaf lettuce, radicchio and arugula)

4 scallions (green onions, white part and 2 inches green), sliced

3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and sliced

4 sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil, drained and chopped

1 cup fresh basil leaves (or less, to taste)

12 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese (or other cheese according to taste and
availability)

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 cup alfalfa sprouts, if desired

1 medium-size red onion, sliced

1/2 cup Nicoise olives, pitted

4 ounces hard salami, cut into julienne

4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled

Salt, to taste

8 ounces smoked turkey breast, cut into julienne (or poached fresh turkey
breast, as available)

1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into rings

1/2 cup torn arugula leaves

1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced

5 ounces prosciutto, cut into julienne

1 pound asparagus spears or broccoli florets, blanched

Tuna Mayonnaise (recipe follows)

1. Toss the greens with 2 of the sliced scallions in a large glass bowl.
Top with the fresh tomatoes and then with the sun-dried tomatoes. Sprinkle
half of the basil over the tomatoes.

2. Thinly slice 8 ounces of the mozzarella and arrange on the basil layer.
Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Grate the remaining 4
ounces mozzarella and set aside.

3. Top the sliced cheese with separate layers of alfalfa sprouts, onion,
half the olives, and all the salami.

4. Process the eggs, the remaining 2 scallions, and salt and pepper to taste
in a food processor fitted with a steel blade just until the eggs are
chopped. Spoon on top of the salami layer.

5. Place the turkey julienne over the eggs. Then add the red pepper and
scatter with the 1/2 cup arugula. Layer artichoke hearts on top of the
arugula and cover with the prosciutto julienne.

6. Top with the remaining basil leaves, sprinkle with more pepper, an add
the reserved grated mozzarella. Make a final layer of the asparagus,
arranged in a spoke pattern or the broccoli florets.

7. Make the tuna mayonnaise.

8. Spread a thick layer of the tuna mayonnaise on top of the salad. Garnish
with the remaining olives.

9. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours.

10. Use two large salad spoons to get down through all the layers to serve
the salad.

Tuna Mayonnaise

4 egg yolks

3 anchovy fillets, chopped

1 tablespoon capers, drained

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard

1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

1 cup olive oil

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 can (6-1/2 ounces) tuna (packed in oil)

1/2 cup sour cream

1. Process the egg yolks, anchovies, capers, lemon juice, mustard, and
parsley in a food processor fitted with a steel blade for 15 seconds. With
the machine running, pour the oils in a thin steady stream through the feed
tube to make a thick mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Flake the tuna and add it with its oil to the mayonnaise. Process until
thoroughly blended.

3. Scrape into a small bowl, fold in the sour cream, and taste and adjust
seasonings. Refrigerate covered until ready to use.

Makes about 3 cups.

"Bettye Russell" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
>i am a lurker,but was wondering if anyone has the recipe, i've heard
> fro a friend but she did not make it,it was served at a dinner party.
> thank you

With so little informations it's difficult to help you!
Cheers
pandora