24 Hours of Adrenalin - Laguna Seca 2004

Nathan

Guest
Last weekend at Laguna Seca raceway near Monterey in
California, Team Cyclops did it again. For the 3rd year in a
row, we competed against Mountain Bikers in a 24 Hour
offroad endurance race called '24 Hours of Adrenalin'
(http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/). This year's team had 9
riders (same as 2002) and completed 15 laps. We were
narrowly beaten by the next slowest team in our category,
but didn't mind at all as our goal this year was to have the
most fun of any team.

The course was about the same as in previous years, minus
one hill at the end and plus TONS of sandy sections and plus
TONS of large potholes and bumps. We received the same very
warm welcome from the organizers and all the other bikers.
Numbers were slightly down this year which made for fewer
bikes passing us. We escaped major injury and managed to
keep riding all night without mishap. We were again
sponsored by my company Movaris - check us out if you need
'Sarbanes-Oxley compliance software'
(http://www.movaris.com/).

Zack Baldwin cranked out our fastest lap this year at 1:17,
still 8 minutes shy of Kris's record from 2002. I think we
did make our goal of having the most fun but I don't have
time to describe more as I am packing for the next 24 hour
race in Toronto!!

See:

'Photos from 2004'
(http://community.webshots.com/album/144585667WzkLrD)

'Writeup and photos from 2003' (http://tinyurl.com/tye5)
'Writeup and photos from 2002' (http://tinyurl.com/tye4)

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

nathan wrote:
> * our goal this year was to have the most fun of any
> team. *

As evidenced by this photo of Geoff holding a Red Hook ESB
at the finish line :)

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: geoff_with_beer_small.jpg
| |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/211021| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

John, you would've enjoyed it! We ALMOST overdid it Friday night before
the race, but ended up ok. Beau liked watching Jackie Chan on the
outdoor movie screen at 1:30am too. They have a great setup there.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

That looks really awesome Nathan. You're almost tempting me
to come over next year to go solo :) . How does the
singletrack compare to Rotorua? Was it as smooth and twisty?
It looks like there are some nice climbs. Mmmm- hills...I
like hills.

Congratulations and well done to everyone at the 24hrs of
Adrenalin- especially Nathan: 2 down, 2 to go huh?

Good luck for the Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist

o-kO

Nice going, guys! Good luck in Canada, whoever is going.
Nathan I know, but I'm not sure who else.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Dave, it's myself, Bronson, Bruce Bundy and Beau going. We
are on a team with Carl Hoyer - one of 3 unicycle teams in
the race (out of 22 teams total).

Ken, much as I'd LOVE it if you came over for 24 hours of
Adrenalin next year, I don't think you would like it. The
singletrack is SO bumpy and nasty. So much sand too. And the
night laps are pretty much a nightmare (must be the origin
of that word, eh). My legs were about as sore after 2 laps
as they were after the Moonride! The thought of going solo
there on a unicycle is insane. So I guess you should do it -
I will be your support crew (as I am certainly not going to
join you riding!)

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Kudos for All.:D and High Fives!!

John, thanks for writing on comparing and contrasting the
29er with the Coker. That's really valuable.

Gawd, one of these days I would like to try it. Anyone got
some new knees I can try?

Really enjoyed hearing about it.

Thanks again for sharing!!

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

I'm not sure if I'll ever try a 24 hour, but I sure love
reading these posts. You folks--all of you WW that have done
these--are changing our sport, and with every event bringing
it greater legitimacy as a true athletic pursuit.

I'm starting to crank up the distance, so maybe one of
these years I'll get to join you. In the meantime, consider
me in awe.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Nathan, you're tempting me.....

You guys had some great lap times- 15 vs 26 laps in the top
team- that's almost 60% of what they were doing! Looks like
you could have done better with more night-time lighting though-
interesting that the top teams in any 24hr race do similar
lap times at night as during the day.

John, it's interesting to hear your experiences on the 29'er
vs Coker. I find riding a Coker just like riding a full
suspension bike- heavy, but comfortable on long rides
because it smoothes out the bumps. The 29'er rides like a
hardtail MTB- light and quick but rattles over rough stuff.
Hopefully when I build up my lightweight diet coker that it
will alleviate the weight problem (I'm going tubeless, using
lightweight SS spokes and probably going back to my carbon
fibre seat).

Nathan- you should write up and contrast the four events in
the four different countries after you've completed them- it
would make interesting reading.