240lbs and Vittoria Diamante Pro lite Tires 700x23C

delucs1984

Apr 17, 2006
Is this a bad combo in terms of safety - some LBSs say that I'll rip the tire apart...(no racing just training 50-100Km mostly flats).

BTW, the tires came with my bike. The tires take between 130 and 160PSI.
Tire manufacturers generally fail to mention max weight.
From the research I did, I think I'd be safer with a 25 or 28mm tire.
Any feedback or experience is greatly appreciated.

Steve

delucs1984 said:
Is this a bad combo in terms of safety - some LBSs say that I'll rip the tire apart...(no racing just training 50-100Km mostly flats).

BTW, the tires came with my bike. The tires take between 130 and 160PSI.
Tire manufacturers generally fail to mention max weight.
From the research I did, I think I'd be safer with a 25 or 28mm tire.
Any feedback or experience is greatly appreciated.

Steve
those are about the worst tires around. they came with my new bike purchase and I promptly cut the center strip and used it inside another tire for extra flat protection. I can guarantee you if you ride them you'll flat very soon or wear through them in record time try a set of Michelin Carbons for durability

JS

delucs1984 said:
Thanks JS. Just ordered Michelin Krylion 25mm.
that's a great choice. I'm running the new Krylion's myself in 23mm. I previously had the straight Carbon in 25mm but it was so wide it would rub on the brake pads whenever I removed the wheels. Minor issue really since the set lasted literally in excess of 2000 miles. There's no other cycling product I more highly recommend than these tires.

JS

delucs1984 said:
Thanks JS. Just ordered Michelin Krylion 25mm.
Good choice. In addition to safety issues, those Vittorias would make your bike ride like a jackhammer if you pumped them up to 160.

I find there are always a good set of cheap michelins at my LBS for training use. Picked a michelin axial bi-sport for training 23mm (wanted 25mm for training) for $33 aussie dollar, they are the same as the new speediums except they have a different name just like the krylions and the axial carbons. Done believe the hype of krylion being better simply because they are dearer.

By the way I like that idea of stuffing a tyre with an older tread for extra puncture resitance. I could probably leave the spare tube at home that way:rolleyes: