$249 26" Schwinn S-20 vs. WalMart $99 26" Point Blank

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Effi, May 29, 2003.

  1. Effi

    Effi Guest

    Which is the better all around bicycle?

    Does any bicycle maker currently make a 27" frame bike with 27" tires?

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "effi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Does any bicycle maker currently make a 27" frame bike with 27" tires?

    27" wheels are obsolete. You can get replacement rims and tires, but you won't find a new bike in
    this size. The close 700mm size is the one that became the standard for road bikes.

    A 27 inch frame? You must be a tall guy -- I'm 6'3" and my old road bikes are 25 inchers. Most
    current frames are measured in centimeters. That would be about a 68 cm frame. You certainly won't
    find anything like this at Wal-mart. Bike Friday claims they made a bike to fit David Robinson
    (who's about 6'11"), so bikes can clearly be made this big, but I don't know who would have it as a
    stock size. I did see a road bike in a shop a couple of years ago that was too big for me; I have a
    dim recollection it was a Fuji, but it's only a hunch.

  3. Effi

    Effi Guest

    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "effi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Does any bicycle maker currently make a 27" frame bike with 27" tires?
    >
    > 27" wheels are obsolete. You can get replacement rims and tires, but you won't find a new bike in
    > this size. The close 700mm size is the one that became the standard for road bikes.
    >
    > A 27 inch frame? You must be a tall guy -- I'm 6'3" and my old road bikes are 25 inchers.

    i am 6' even, tried the 26" schwinn s-20 and it seems too small, the distance the handlebars are
    from the seat is too close it seems, seems like the handle bars are almost in your chest

    can this be overcome with some type of different handlebars?

    it just seems like the bike itself should be longer

    also, on the s-20, the handlebar height can't be adjusted

    > Most current frames are measured in centimeters. That would be about a 68 cm frame. You certainly
    > won't find anything like this at Wal-mart. Bike Friday claims they made a bike to fit David
    > Robinson (who's about 6'11"), so bikes can clearly be made this big, but I don't know who would
    > have it as a stock size. I did see a road bike in a shop a couple of
    years
    > ago that was too big for me; I have a dim recollection it was a Fuji, but it's only a hunch.

    ebay has a 27" frame with 27" tires used 12 speed bike for sale right now

  4. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    effi wrote:

    > "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "effi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Does any bicycle maker currently make a 27" frame bike with 27" tires?
    > >
    > > 27" wheels are obsolete. You can get replacement rims and tires, but you won't find a new bike
    > > in this size. The close 700mm size is the one that became the standard for road bikes.
    > >
    > > A 27 inch frame? You must be a tall guy -- I'm 6'3" and my old road bikes are 25 inchers.
    >
    > i am 6' even, tried the 26" schwinn s-20 and it seems too small, the distance the handlebars are
    > from the seat is too close it seems, seems like the handle bars are almost in your chest
    >
    > can this be overcome with some type of different handlebars?
    >
    > it just seems like the bike itself should be longer
    >
    > also, on the s-20, the handlebar height can't be adjusted
    >
    > > Most current frames are measured in centimeters. That would be about a 68 cm frame. You
    > > certainly won't find anything like this at Wal-mart. Bike Friday claims they made a bike to fit
    > > David Robinson (who's about 6'11"), so bikes can clearly be made this big, but I don't know who
    > > would have it as a stock size. I did see a road bike in a shop a couple of
    > years
    > > ago that was too big for me; I have a dim recollection it was a Fuji, but it's only a hunch.
    >
    > ebay has a 27" frame with 27" tires used 12 speed bike for sale right now

    Supermarket bikes get marketed as 26 inch bikes when they simply mean they have 26 inch wheels. Go
    to a real bike shop and get with the program. Get a bike that fits, have really decent techincal
    support (often for free, if you bought your bike there) and go have a great ride. I mean this most
    sincerely! Best regards. Bernie

  5. "effi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>.

    > i am 6' even, tried the 26" schwinn s-20 and it seems too small, the distance the handlebars are
    > from the seat is too close it seems, seems like the handle bars are almost in your chest

    You are confusing wheel size with frame size, and not without reason. When kids' bikes are sold,
    they are sold by wheel size; 16", 20", 24", 26". When adult bicycles are sold, they are sold by
    frame size

    Usually, the frame size is the measurement from the axis of the bottom bracket (the center of the
    cranks) to the intersection of the seat tube and top tube (just beneath the saddle), not counting
    the seatpost (the post that holds the saddle which slides into the seat tube). These measurements
    are usually given in centimeters, although some manufacturers continue to cite inch figures. In inch
    terms, the sizes will look something like 17" 19" 23" 26".

    To make matters more confusing, adult bicycles can use several sizes of wheel. the 26" wheel is
    usually thought of as a "mountain bike" wheel. There are other sizes: 700C (622mm, the common "road
    bike" wheels), 27" (637 mm circumference, now obsolete and not supported by any manufacturere), 28"
    (for old-style English 'bobby bikes' now most commonly seen in Asia).

    The right bike size for you will vary among various brands and models, as the frame geometries
    will vary.

    For reference: I am 5' 11" inches tall (178 cm) and I generally ride bikes in the 57-60 cm frame
    size (22.5"-23.5").

    Within a range, it's possible to fiddle with the fit of a bicycle by raising and lowering the saddle
    height (raising or lowering the seatpost) and raising and lowering the handlebars (using the stem).
    Sometimes these bikes will have an adjustable stem, which can raise the handlebars still further,
    adjusting the angle of the stem. These are nice, but be sure that all the bolts are tight, otherwise
    you will get squeaks as you ride and, in the worst case, have it come loose 'self-adjusting' at a
    most inopportune moment.

    Be aware that Wal*Mart bikes are generally poorly assembled--sometimes with forks installed
    backwards, bar-ends pointing straight up instead of out, poorly adjusted brake and shifter cables,
    wobbly wheels---and come with inferior componentry to bike-shop bikes. The latter might not matter
    to you in the real world, provided you're good about maintenance. The former might put you off
    cycling altogether....

    A bit of shopping around might yield respectable deals. My dad bought a proper, "bike shop" bike
    (Fuji Supreme) on sale for US$150 or so, not that much more expensive than the mass-market bikes,
    but with nicer components and all-around a better bike.

    Incidentally, "Schwinn" no longer exists as anything but a name; the manufacturing bit of the
    business folded and the name was sold to a holding company that sells mass-market bikes.

    -Luigi sic transit....

  6. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    I fear I am answering a troll but here goes a response:

    Go to a real bike shop. They will have bikes of different heights and length and wheel sizes. They
    will also have bikes for designed for different purposes. They will also put their bikes together
    correctly unlike Wal-Mart, Target and discount places. Yes you will pay more but you will get a bike
    that fits, is assembled correctly, will last a lot longer, talk to a staff that knows a lot about
    bikes and not a little about bikes, Nerf toys and CO2 power pistols and the bike will meet standards
    on part sizes that will allow replacements for worn out stuff.

    "effi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > i am 6' even, tried the 26" schwinn s-20 and it seems too small, the distance the handlebars are
    > from the seat is too close it seems, seems like the handle bars are almost in your chest
    >
    > can this be overcome with some type of different handlebars?
    >
    > it just seems like the bike itself should be longer
    >
    > also, on the s-20, the handlebar height can't be adjusted
    >

    > > Most current frames are measured in centimeters. That would be about a
    68
    > > cm frame. You certainly won't find anything like this at Wal-mart. Bike Friday claims they made
    > > a bike to fit David Robinson (who's about 6'11"), so bikes can clearly be made this big, but I
    > > don't know who
    would
    > > have it as a stock size. I did see a road bike in a shop a couple of
    > years
    > > ago that was too big for me; I have a dim recollection it was a Fuji,
    but
    > > it's only a hunch.
    >

    > ebay has a 27" frame with 27" tires used 12 speed bike for sale right now

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >i am 6' even, tried the 26" schwinn s-20 and it seems too small, the distance the handlebars are
    >from the seat is too close it seems, seems like the handle bars are almost in your chest
    >
    >can this be overcome with some type of different handlebars?

    A longer stem is a good place to start.

    >it just seems like the bike itself should be longer

    >also, on the s-20, the handlebar height can't be adjusted

    Some manufacturers don't see the need for adjusting the height of the bars on a bike. They want you
    to run out and buy different stems until you find the right length/rise combination
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "effi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the better all around bicycle?
    >
    > Does any bicycle maker currently make a 27" frame bike with 27" tires?

    Effi, don't buy the Ebay bike! You are getting ready to make a really bad mistake. Please take some
    time and go talk to someone at a real bike shop. They can give you a bicycle education in about 15
    minutes that will save you from wasting money. My preference is for going to a small shop instead of
    a big mega-store.

    Pat