24h predictions

Hi All,

I am doing a 24 hour road race this weekend. It's a drafting event,
but I expect most of the time I will ride alone.

Last year Dan Connelly posted a fun formula for predicting distances
in 24 hour events:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/36e67ddaea50eec1

Last year I did a 10km ITT on similar rolling terrain as the event in
15:40 and managed 594km in the race. Yesterday I did the same 10km ITT
in 14:22.

I am stronger this year, but the course has changed a bit with a few
more hills, so I don't know how that will play out.

So anyone care to make some predictions?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am doing a 24 hour road race this weekend. It's a drafting event,
> but I expect most of the time I will ride alone.
>
> Last year Dan Connelly posted a fun formula for predicting distances
> in 24 hour events:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/36e67ddaea50eec1
>
> Last year I did a 10km ITT on similar rolling terrain as the event in
> 15:40 and managed 594km in the race. Yesterday I did the same 10km ITT
> in 14:22.
>
> I am stronger this year, but the course has changed a bit with a few
> more hills, so I don't know how that will play out.
>
> So anyone care to make some predictions?
>
> Joseph

Joseph,
Why do you want to do something this crazy - again?

Heck, you'll be in the dark for probably an hour of this 24....

Good luck!

On Jun 4, 5:30 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > I am doing a 24 hour road race this weekend. It's a drafting event,
> > but I expect most of the time I will ride alone.

> > Last year Dan Connelly posted a fun formula for predicting distances
> > in 24 hour events:

> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/36e67ddaea50eec1

> > Last year I did a 10km ITT on similar rolling terrain as the event in
> > 15:40 and managed 594km in the race. Yesterday I did the same 10km ITT
> > in 14:22.

> > I am stronger this year, but the course has changed a bit with a few
> > more hills, so I don't know how that will play out.

> > So anyone care to make some predictions?

> > Joseph

> Joseph,
> Why do you want to do something this crazy - again?

It was great fun, and not as taxing as would seem. I had planned to
take 10 minute stops (or some such, I don't recall) but after having
something to eat, and sitting about for 3-4 minutes twiddling my
thumbs, I'd just forget the rest of the stop and get back on. Nothing
else to do, right?

> Heck, you'll be in the dark for probably an hour of this 24....

It's down south in Denmark where it actually does get dark! Not for
long, though.

> Good luck!

Thanks! No predictions?

Joseph

On Jun 9, 8:26 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> How did you do?

642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
place, but even the Danes were complaining!

The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!

I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.

Joseph

In article
<f85ee2c3-bdc4-403f-8de7-38cc1d15c31e@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

> On Jun 9, 8:26 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > How did you do?

> 642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
> place, but even the Danes were complaining!
>
> The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!
>
> I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.
>
> Joseph

27 km/h for 24 hours is downright impressive in any conditions. Well
played, Mr Santaniello.

On Jun 10, 4:19 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <f85ee2c3-bdc4-403f-8de7-38cc1d15c...@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jun 9, 8:26 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > How did you do?

> > 642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
> > place, but even the Danes were complaining!

> > The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!

> > I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.

> > Joseph

> 27 km/h for 24 hours is downright impressive in any conditions. Well
> played, Mr Santaniello.

I didn't use a computer or HRM, so I just went "sort of hard" the
whole time. At the rest/food stop, I didn't pay attention to the time.
I just ate, and sat for a few minutes. But that added up. The online
timing results show I was off the bike for about 135 minutes. So I had
an on-bike average of over 29 km/h for 21:45.

It looks like everyone who went farther than I did had more on-bike
time than I did. That's someplace I could pick up a fair amount by
minimizing stops and their duration. At no point was I completely
wasted, though I did have a few low points. The last 1.5 hours was on
a 3.6km short loop but with a 1km 3% hill, but I still managed an
average there of over 34, so I had plently of gas left in the tank.

With a little more focus on fewer and shorter stops, and better mental
preparedness for the low points (which resulted in some serioulsy slow
sections) I think I have it in me for 700km. Drafting (allowed) or
aero-bars (not allowed) would also have made a big difference.

I doubt I'll do that race again, but who knows. Now I'll focus on
Trondheim-Oslo which is in 2 weeks. The goal there is 15 hours
(540km), and if the team rides sensibly, it should be possible, and I
shouldn't have any problems keeping up. We'll see!

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 9, 8:26 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> How did you do?

> 642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
> place, but even the Danes were complaining!
>
> The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!
>
> I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.
>
> Joseph

WOW!

My best week this year is just 503 km. I'm going to have to see if I
can get to that number in seven days. It'll be tough, since I only have
14:20 of daylight on my summer days. I'm already using around three of
those hours each day....

I suppose you backed this up with a 2 - 3 hour "rest day" like the pros,
right?

On Jun 11, 2:28 am, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Jun 9, 8:26 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> How did you do?

> > 642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
> > place, but even the Danes were complaining!

> > The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!

> > I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.

> > Joseph

> WOW!
>
> My best week this year is just 503 km.  I'm going to have to see if I
> can get to that number in seven days.  It'll be tough, since I only have
> 14:20 of daylight on my summer days.  I'm already using around three of
> those hours each day....

I don't keep track of distances, but my guess is my normal weekly
totals only on rare occasions get as high as 300. 503 is a lot, not
"just" 503.

Daylight helps! The almanac says today has 21 hours 18 minutes of
light.

> I suppose you backed this up with a 2 - 3 hour "rest day" like the pros,
> right?

Hardly! On Monday I took a 45 minut soft-pedal to try to keep from
getting sore, and Tuesday I went on a group training ride with my
team. It was super windy and was one of the hardest rides I've ever
done. 2.5 hours at full gas. At one point I was marvelling at how sick
an endeavor like a Grand Tour or RAAM really is, as I was suffering
just trying to keep up with a group of FM's.

Joseph