24hr RR

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Tamyka Bell, May 7, 2006.

  1. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    I've finally written the race report for the 24hr - I mean the complete
    and mostly unabridged version.

    Tam

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

  3. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

  4. petulance

    petulance Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Oh, I'm not used to this google groups nonsense. Damn my uni for
    > decommissioning our telnet servers. Damn my uni for no shell access.
    >
    > http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2006/04/learning-how-to-corner-race-report.html

    Nice work ...

    You did a solo 24 hr on a hard tail? Very brave ...

    The Maxxis Larsen TTs are great ... I did the DirtWorks 50km race with
    them yesterday and they felt fast (it could have been a placebo though
    .... I spent $100 on a pair).

    Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors? I'm looking for a pair
    of XC tyres that aren't Larsens because SWMBO doesn't want to get the
    same pair as me. She won a pair of Ritchey Motovader 2.1s at DirtWorks
    and I believe they are more of a downhill/free ride tyre.

  5. petulance

    petulance Guest

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    awesome effort Tam

    must try and get back into mtb'ing.
    looks like too much fun :D

    PS see Andrew Bell alot about town.
    altho how a courier can afford XTR is beyond me!!!

  7. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Great work Tam, congratulations! Enjoyed it by the sounds of it, which is all very important... And you are still in 1 piece!! :)

    wish the weather was like that down here this weekend. We had the Puffing Billy Great Train Race, it was about 9 degress and rained from start to finish.

  8. Going of track a bit from the 24hr. I did the dirt works 100 yesterday as
    well with Larson TT Exception 2.00 & after trying around 10 different light
    weight XC tyres in the past 5 yrs I think they easily roll the best ( have
    never had to use my breaks so much ), I can buy them in Port Macquarie for
    $75 each.
    By the way the Dirt works rips for a MTB Enduro race.

    "petulance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > Oh, I'm not used to this google groups nonsense. Damn my uni for
    > > decommissioning our telnet servers. Damn my uni for no shell access.

    http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2006/04/learning-how-to-corner-race-report.
    html

    > Nice work ...
    >
    > You did a solo 24 hr on a hard tail? Very brave ...
    >
    > The Maxxis Larsen TTs are great ... I did the DirtWorks 50km race with
    > them yesterday and they felt fast (it could have been a placebo though
    > ... I spent $100 on a pair).
    >
    > Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors? I'm looking for a pair
    > of XC tyres that aren't Larsens because SWMBO doesn't want to get the
    > same pair as me. She won a pair of Ritchey Motovader 2.1s at DirtWorks
    > and I believe they are more of a downhill/free ride tyre.

  9. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    LIFE'S 2 SHORT wrote:
    > Going of track a bit from the 24hr. I did the dirt works 100 yesterday as
    > well with Larson TT Exception 2.00 & after trying around 10 different light
    > weight XC tyres in the past 5 yrs I think they easily roll the best ( have
    > never had to use my breaks so much ), I can buy them in Port Macquarie for
    > $75 each.

    The Exception series was a brave choice for the DW, they're not known
    for having the strongest sidewalls.

    The Crossmarks are reportedly roll much better than Larsons

    > By the way the Dirt works rips for a MTB Enduro race.

    I'm very grumpy I had to miss it.

    Parbs

  10. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    petulance wrote:

    > Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors? I'm looking for a pair
    > of XC tyres that aren't Larsens because SWMBO doesn't want to get the
    > same pair as me. She won a pair of Ritchey Motovader 2.1s at DirtWorks
    > and I believe they are more of a downhill/free ride tyre.

    For an all round riding tyre I'd go the Continental Vertical or Maxxis
    Ignitor.

    Parbs

  11. brett fenton

    brett fenton Guest

    On 8/5/06 6:07 PM, in article
    n%[email protected], "Parbs" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > For an all round riding tyre I'd go the Continental Vertical or Maxxis
    > Ignitor.

    I don't mind the Ignitor, or the Larsen but if I can get them the Maxxis
    Rancheros are hard to beat IMHO. If you are going to go cheap Torpedo7 has
    WTB's for $14 each this week. Tough price to beat.

    --brett

  12. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Sun, 07 May 2006 23:52:38 -0700, petulance wrote:

    > Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors?

    IMAO the Vapors are a touch lightweight for general use. I don't mind the
    Explorers. However, the Maxxis Crossmarks seem to work well, and roll
    better.
    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Brooker's Law: "The wackier the project, the easier it is to fund."

  13. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Oh, I'm not used to this google groups nonsense. Damn my uni for
    > decommissioning our telnet servers. Damn my uni for no shell access.

    http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2006/04/learning-how-to-corner-race-report.html

    Well done Tam!!! Of course I was lucky enough to get the trailer to the RR
    thru the email at work ;)

    Are you still up for teaming up for the Mont?? I managed to negotiate an
    in-principle agreement with my SO and so I am good to go!!! All I have to
    do now is make sure that I don't fall off again and break anything prior to
    the race (least I get free medical!!!)

    Gags

  14. petulance

    petulance Guest

    Parbs wrote:
    > LIFE'S 2 SHORT wrote:
    >
    >> Going of track a bit from the 24hr. I did the dirt works 100 yesterday as
    >> well with Larson TT Exception 2.00 & after trying around 10 different
    >> light
    >> weight XC tyres in the past 5 yrs I think they easily roll the best (
    >> have
    >> never had to use my breaks so much ), I can buy them in Port Macquarie
    >> for
    >> $75 each.

    > The Exception series was a brave choice for the DW, they're not known
    > for having the strongest sidewalls.

    I have the Exception TTs as well ...

    Hmmm, perhaps I should have got the tubeless version of the TTs as I
    hear they have a tougher sidewall.

  15. petulance

    petulance Guest

    Parbs wrote:
    > petulance wrote:
    >
    >> Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors? I'm looking for a pair
    >> of XC tyres that aren't Larsens because SWMBO doesn't want to get the
    >> same pair as me. She won a pair of Ritchey Motovader 2.1s at DirtWorks
    >> and I believe they are more of a downhill/free ride tyre.
    >>

    > For an all round riding tyre I'd go the Continental Vertical or Maxxis
    > Ignitor.
    >
    > Parbs

    Ta. I'll keep that in mind.

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    petulance wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > Oh, I'm not used to this google groups nonsense. Damn my uni for
    > > decommissioning our telnet servers. Damn my uni for no shell access.
    > >
    > > http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2006/04/learning-how-to-corner-race-report.html

    > Nice work ...
    >
    > You did a solo 24 hr on a hard tail? Very brave ...

    Well I don't own a duallie (or a fully rigid...)

    > The Maxxis Larsen TTs are great ... I did the DirtWorks 50km race with
    > them yesterday and they felt fast (it could have been a placebo though
    > ... I spent $100 on a pair).

    Lotte and Kurt have definitely recommended them...

    > Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors? I'm looking for a pair
    > of XC tyres that aren't Larsens because SWMBO doesn't want to get the
    > same pair as me. She won a pair of Ritchey Motovader 2.1s at DirtWorks
    > and I believe they are more of a downhill/free ride tyre.

    I like the Vapors because they're very grippy. They certainly have more
    rolling resistance than the tyres I had previously but they're awesome
    for dusty surfaces and I felt about a billion times more confident when
    cornering or descending steep dusty loose crap. I think they're also
    what Lotte has, and I remember her tyres working well in mud too - when
    the Bontrager Jones (ew) were collecting mud and slipping off
    everything.

    Tam

  17. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > awesome effort Tam
    >
    > must try and get back into mtb'ing.
    > looks like too much fun :D

    :)

    > PS see Andrew Bell alot about town.
    > altho how a courier can afford XTR is beyond me!!!

    When he did his thank you speech, he had about a gazillion sponsors...

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Random Data wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 May 2006 23:52:38 -0700, petulance wrote:
    >
    > > Btw, would you recommend the Continental Vapors?

    > IMAO the Vapors are a touch lightweight for general use. I don't mind the
    > Explorers. However, the Maxxis Crossmarks seem to work well, and roll
    > better.
    > --
    > Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    > Brooker's Law: "The wackier the project, the easier it is to fund."

    Hehehe, but I AM a lightweight!

    Tam

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Gags wrote:

    > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Oh, I'm not used to this google groups nonsense. Damn my uni for
    > > decommissioning our telnet servers. Damn my uni for no shell access.
    > >

    > http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2006/04/learning-how-to-corner-race-report.html
    > >

    > Well done Tam!!! Of course I was lucky enough to get the trailer to the RR
    > thru the email at work ;)
    >
    > Are you still up for teaming up for the Mont?? I managed to negotiate an
    > in-principle agreement with my SO and so I am good to go!!! All I have to
    > do now is make sure that I don't fall off again and break anything prior to
    > the race (least I get free medical!!!)
    >
    > Gags

    It's a date...

    Tam

  20. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Gags wrote:
    >><snip>
    >> Are you still up for teaming up for the Mont?? I managed to negotiate an
    >> in-principle agreement with my SO and so I am good to go!!! All I have to
    >> do now is make sure that I don't fall off again and break anything prior to
    >> the race (least I get free medical!!!)
    >>
    >> Gags

    > It's a date...
    >
    > Tam

    That's what you told him last year. You're such a tease :p

    Parbs