24lb Gios vs Cervelo Carbon Soloist

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Don Quijote, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Hello to you all! I just want to share this little story with you:
    I have been riding my Italian steel steed daily for the past X2 weeks
    . I used to race it back in 1984, at age 24. It is built up with the old Campy NR and the Mavic GL330 tubulars, now with the Clement Strada TT. I have a pair of Nashbar clipless pedals ($14.95 on sale) 280 gr/pr on it now..
    Anyway, I was on my 3rd interval of a 2mile 3%-5% hill, when for the second time this week, I was approached by this other roadie on a gorgeous red Cervelo, DA Shimano and the Zipp carbon wheelset that makes a stealth "woosh" sound when passing you... It startled me, but I quickly recovered and pursuit one wheel length away. He was about 20 something, (I am 47), and he was trying really hard to loose me. He had a fast spin, mostly on the saddle, I was on a 42-14 gear, mostly off the saddle, power smashing up and on his tail, he-he. His breathing was loud, and when I complemented him on his superb form he just grumpily growled back at me, not very polite IMHO. At the top of the hill I down shifted to a 42-21, with about 110 RPM, steered to the opposirte side of the road and waved him off joyfully. He just nodded neutrally.
    It feels great to be able to stay at a fancy and younger wheel like that, on a much heavier steel bike, "old school", and with twice the age riding on it! Man, I bet you he was "surprised", eh?! ;) DonQ:D

Tags:

2. sogood

sogood New Member

Think how much faster you would be if you were on the Cervelo! :D

Your right, it's your legs that made the difference.

3. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Yeah, man. I do have a gorgeous Tommaso Aggraziato all deck up with
    Shimano DA, FSA RD 400 wheels, and it does help me go much faster, and it is
    a lot more comfortable too. It tips the scale @ 18 lbs loaded, and after 100+ miles, it definitely makes a difference, since I do not feel as sore afterwards. DQ:D

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Don't you just hate unfriendly asshole bikers? I asked a guy with a Six 13 how much his bike cost and he totally ignored me.

Oh, and I have a 2006 Cervelo CF Soloist with Zipp 404 clinchers and ergomo too!

5. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

I do not appreciate arrogant roadies, for they give us all a bad image.
    Congrats on that Cervelo CF. I would definitely purchase one, but I have
    a non-cyclist spouse that can not comprehend spending 5-6 G on a bike, so I settled for the Aggraziato @ a total delivery price of $2156.00- with a 10% off coupon from RS Cycle.com. This shop is better in their customer service than any LBS I have dealt with so far. Regards, DQ:D
    PS- I was in the "dog house" for about a week after my Tommaso purchase, but it was so much worth it...

6. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I entirely got my Cervelo, ergomo, and Zipp 404s from ebay. So you might be able to afford one from ebay too.

2006 CF Soloist with full Chorus and Ksyrium SL - $3015 shipped.
    ergomo pro - $1230 shipped
    Zipp 404 clinchers dimpled - $1135 shipped but no skewers.

Plus I exchanged the derailluers to Record Front ($59) and Rear ($185). Sold my Chorus Front $30 and Rear $92.50.

I don't know how much it adds up but I guess my bike is worth $7200 ? I can't afford to race this bike! Because I got it from ebay, my Cervelo LBS won't give me a crash replacemnt price.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Why's the guy an asshole: because he wouldn't tell you how much he payed? You might look around and see that most people ain't so anxious to boast of how much they have in their bikes. I've never run in to anyone on the road that was all hot and bothered to talk about how much their bike cost. Of all the things I care about...well, how much some other guys spent on his bike doesn't even make the list.

It's truly dumbfounding how presumptuous people are. Someone's an asshole because they didn't speak to you on the road or had a certain look on their face? How do you even have the cojones to even assume that you know anything about such a person or what was going on in their head or their life that day?

And why the hell do you keep goin' on about how your LBS won't warranty your Cervelo because you bought through eBay? Your the one that bought it, so the responsibility for that lack of warranty falls on your shoulders, no one else's. Sucks to be you, don't it?

I'm still trying to figure out exactly when DQ and the other guy agreed to race each other. It's fuckin' hilarious every time someone comes on a forum and brags about how they spanked a complete stranger up a climb or summat. Talk about pathetic.....

Maybe JTE83 oughta start a thread about how much he spent on his bike. It'll be riveting, I bet! :rolleyes:

8. Vino

Vino New Member

I was on Ebay Canada, and theres a new 2007 Soloist Carbon for about 900$ Canadian! I'd chech it out. Theres also a fram for about 830$.

9. sogood

sogood New Member

+1

If anyone rides up to me and rattles off that question first up, I would find it bizarre and wondered if the guy is on crack or something. Stay away! :eek:

10. Bikelyst

Bikelyst New Member

Agreed.

11. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

if i got asked that question on a ride, my answer would be -- "it's not about the bike, it's about the ride." either you'd wind up having a riding partner for a while, or you'd blow the guy off w/ your indifference. as far as attitudes on the road are concerned -- why do we have to be assholes to one another? simple acknowledgement of another rider is no obligation to ride into the sunset together. yo -- arrogant ones -- GET OVER YOURSELVES!!

12. alienator

So someone is arrogant if they don't say "hi" or acknowledge you? Do you get upset when people on the sidewalk don't say "hi" or acknowledge you? How about in the car when other drivers act the same?

Again, how the fuck does anyone know that someone else is arrogant after such a short encounter? I think it's pretty freakin' high and mighty...no.....holier than thou to think like that. In fact, I certainly don't want to interact with anyone who thinks they know, understand, or can read me after a 5-10 sec. anonymous encounter on the road.

I guess sayin "hi" on a bike or waving must be one of the tenets of the religious right, 'cuz it sure is a fucking religion with some of you people.

Get over yourselves, please.

13. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Once again in this thread you alienate and disagree with me, Alienator!

Yeah, I think the guy is an asshole cuz he wouldn't talk to me. And at that time I didn't know the price of a Six13. If someone unsuspicious asked me the price of my bike I'd give to him. And I've talked to others bikers no problem.

As for my LBS warranty story, -- I'm just informing him what an LBS would do to you if you bought from ebay.

14. alienator

If you feel alienated then I suggest you seek therapy.

So how many ill-formed and rash assumptions do you make about people each day? What do you know about "guy?" Maybe his wife is sick. Maybe his kid got hurt. Maybe he had a crap day at work. Who knows. He's under no fucking obligation to rationalize anything to you. However, you and your ilk place some completely misplaced responsibility on strangers to wave at you and say "hi." Christ, what a load of kack. Try this: if someone waves, nods, or says "hi," consider that a bonus. If they don't, just move on: maybe they had something more important on their mind or maybe their attention was elsewhere other than squarely on you. You know, no one else is out there riding to make you and your "wave at me" kin feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

And we all know you're not shy about discussing how much any of your 6 bikes cost and how you've spent $23,000+ on them. Hell, you do it pretty much every other post. I guess as long as you feel impressed and you feel like you're impressing the dickens out of everyone else, that's all that matters. I mean, you're fantasy life really doesn't affect anyone else. I gotta tell ya, though, there are people riding bikes that would make your's look like beaten, sodomized, and otherwise abused red-headed step-children, and those people don't discuss the amount of money they've spent on bikes. So why is it that the money is soooooooo important to you?

15. Tonto

Tonto New Member

Personally, I'd find it a little rude if some complete stranger asked me how much my bike cost, but that's just me. If he asked where I got it, or how I found the ride, that'd be different. I just don't like talking money with complete strangers.

The OP said this guy returned his greeting with a 'neutral' nod. That's fine in my book, not rude.

Certainly, there's a bit of a thrill in 'racing' some stranger when you're out on a ride especially if he's on some tarted up speed machine, but you have to take into account that he might be thinking 'What the f*ck is this lunatic doing on my wheel?...I just want to ride, not race'. And also bear in mind the guy you're 'racing' could be struggling home, half-bonked after a hefty spin. There are times I wouldn't acknowledge my own mother if I passed her on the road, I just want to get home to some food and warm shower.
    I think if you want to ride with someone or hang on his wheel for a bit, you ask first.

16. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

I've been wooshed by cervelos a few times. I said a "few," meaning 2 or 3 times, for the record. I almost never get passed! But, since I know they're doing interval work, I'll just cruise up to their back end without them knowing it, judge their speed, and then rest a bit... then I'll pass them. It's only fair! I'm not all that jealous, though. I'm riding a tarmac and probably faster than they are. I do like those disc wheels, though.

17. alienator

Wow! Coool! You hardly ever get beat by people that didn't know that they were supposed to be racing you! You rock, dude!

18. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

No wonder your name is "alienator." It only takes one look at your post history to see that you have issues with people. Take your frustrations out in a constructive way, and stop making disruptive, insulting posts. I'm reporting you to the moderators for a TOS violation.

19. alienator

Oh no! I was merely repsonding to the excessive gloating in your post, your weak attempt to pigeon a group of people.

Please don't tattle!
    :eek: :rolleyes:

A little word of advice: a screen name is only a screen name. It's not window through which you get to know someone. So please, in the future, try to exercise thought that's a little more than, well, this latest superficial attempt by you. Please. Is that the best you can do? I mean, really: did you read all 950 posts of mine to come to your limp conclusion? Or did you just pick and choose the things that fit your tiny, imaginary universe best?

Kisses.......

20. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

He's a bit argumentative but can be informative and he knows his science, I don't see any reason to report him?? Relax!

-bikeguy