24NTOP ~Video~ and RR

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Porter, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    The 24hr in the Old Pueblo was a blast! I had thrown my legs over a singlespeed for the first time
    just a couple of weeks before the race. I was pretty sure I could put in a couple of good laps for
    the SCUMBAGS SS team but I was a little concerned about recovering between laps as I always felt a
    quite a bit more thrashed after the training rides on the singlespeed. Out at the race I loved the
    wonderful speed at which you are forced to climb even though it often comes with a healthy dose of
    pain, particularly on the b!tches. The cactus trail (first singletrack) was where the singlespeed
    really shined. It was a gradual climb and there were only a few turns that required any substantial
    loss of momentum so I could keep up a good cadence. However the new singletrack was a different
    matter. It really beat me up, as it was bumpy and tight requiring a little more use of the brakes
    than I wanted. This is were I came to loath my brakes as every time I squeezed them it meant
    additional pain in my quads and lower back was just seconds away when I had to regain some speed. By
    the third lap on the new section of singletrack my lower back was on fire and I lusted for the
    smooth plush ride of my Spider back at home. The final climb was actually not bad on the singlespeed
    at all. I was pretty whooped by the top of it last year on the geared bike and I was pretty whooped
    this year too, but I got to the top quite a bit quicker. Lap for lap I was a couple of minutes
    faster on the SS than I was on the geared bike last year even though I don't feel in any better
    shape than last year. I squeezed out 5 laps and I felt totally humbled by the laps those kick a$$
    solo folks did. The bottom line is I think the SS thing is hella lots-o-fun and I am going to giving
    the legs some SS luvin, but I have no plans on chunking the Spider. I had toyed around with the idea
    of racing a lap or two with the camera gear on but after my first lap I decided the hell with that.
    I had also planned and catching some footage of people in the transition area, but after the first
    lap I found myself just eating or resting between laps. Of well, here is the video of 99% pre ride
    and 1% race at the Old Pueblo. www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/24NTOP-Web.mpg

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/24NTOP-Web.mpg
    >
    > Bill Porter

    Cool vid, cool tune.
    --
    Slacker

  3. looks like fun! great job with the video AND the 4th place.

    charlie

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Charles Beristain wrote:
    > looks like fun! great job with the video AND the 4th place.

    God I love the desert. Although that was a helluva lot of cholla for a 24 hour event.

    Greg

  5. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:13:02 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Charles Beristain wrote:
    >> looks like fun! great job with the video AND the 4th place.
    >>

    >God I love the desert. Although that was a helluva lot of cholla for a 24 hour event.
    >
    >Greg

    Yep. Almost every corner had some flavor of cacti setting in a really good spot to grab a shoulder
    or ankle. As the laps went on you could see were riders went a little wide or cut a little close and
    paid for it. It mad for some "obsticales" as you would come out a corner and there would be chunk of
    cholla right in the middle of the trail. I managed to only get a couple of scratchs, the kind you
    don't even notice until later. There were several of times per lap where I pulled in my shoulder,
    arms, and knees to clear an turn.

    -Bill

  6. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:13:02 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>

    "As the laps went on you could see were riders went a little wide or cut a little close and
    paid for it."

    That was me last year! On the first cactus ST I blew a turn and bumped my left shoulder up agains
    some cholla. I get back on course and only then do I see a chuck of cholla the size of a small apple
    sticking into my shoulder. it didn't really hurt but I couldn't figure out how to get it off and
    keep riding at the same time. I had full fingered gloves on but the needles went rigth through them
    so that didn't work. I finally was able to just pull the sleeve of my jersyey out enough to bring
    the cholla with it. I resisted the urge not to rub the area and when I got back to camp I pulled
    about a dozen little needles out.

    as the race progressed though, I wasn't the only one to blow that turn and it actually developed
    into an alternate line!

    The one thing you quickly learn about Arizona Desert riding: you can't bounce off the bushes the
    same way you do back home.........

    Michael

  7. Scott G

    Scott G Guest

    Of well, here is the video of 99% pre ride and
    > 1% race at the Old Pueblo. www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/24NTOP-Web.mpg
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Very nice. While watching that I can almost feel that dry desert air cooling my skin.

    Thanks for the video.

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:43:22 GMT, [email protected]
    (Bill Porter) wrote:

    >The 24hr in the Old Pueblo was a blast! I had thrown my legs over a singlespeed for the first time
    >just a couple of weeks before the race. I was pretty sure I could put in a couple of good laps for
    >the SCUMBAGS SS team but I was a little concerned about recovering between laps as I always felt a
    >quite a bit more thrashed after the training rides on the singlespeed. Out at the race I loved the
    >wonderful speed at which you are forced to climb even though it often comes with a healthy dose of
    >pain, particularly on the b!tches. The cactus trail (first singletrack) was where the singlespeed
    >really shined. It was a gradual climb and there were only a few turns that required any substantial
    >loss of momentum so I could keep up a good cadence. However the new singletrack was a different
    >matter. It really beat me up, as it was bumpy and tight requiring a little more use of the brakes
    >than I wanted. This is were I came to loath my brakes as every time I squeezed them it meant
    >additional pain in my quads and lower back was just seconds away when I had to regain some speed.
    >By the third lap on the new section of singletrack my lower back was on fire and I lusted for the
    >smooth plush ride of my Spider back at home. The final climb was actually not bad on the
    >singlespeed at all. I was pretty whooped by the top of it last year on the geared bike and I was
    >pretty whooped this year too, but I got to the top quite a bit quicker. Lap for lap I was a couple
    >of minutes faster on the SS than I was on the geared bike last year even though I don't feel in any
    >better shape than last year. I squeezed out 5 laps and I felt totally humbled by the laps those
    >kick a$$ solo folks did. The bottom line is I think the SS thing is hella lots-o-fun and I am going
    >to giving the legs some SS luvin, but I have no plans on chunking the Spider. I had toyed around
    >with the idea of racing a lap or two with the camera gear on but after my first lap I decided the
    >hell with that. I had also planned and catching some footage of people in the transition area, but
    >after the first lap I found myself just eating or resting between laps. Of well, here is the video
    >of 99% pre ride and 1% race at the Old Pueblo. www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/24NTOP-Web.mpg
    >
    >Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    nice, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]