$25 Value

xxSYNTHETIKxx

Oct 3, 2005
Hello everyone! Well, after riding a few 10 mile runs on my 30lb mountain bike (ha!) i got hooked on biking. Nevertheless, i have to start with a used bike due to tuition! Well, after reading and reading, I ended up with the conclusion that biking is not cheap. Let me cut to the chase:

I got a $25 10 spd off from some man. It's in great condition. I know it's a crummy brand, but hey, it's about 8lbs lighter than my mountain bike.

This is the brand:

Free Spirit Dynasty (I know, after doing some searching, i found out its a crummy bike). Although crummy brand, I think it will suit my needs for the time being.

It has shimano components: Positron (another not so good part).

Question, can I upgrade this? I'll be investing on a good bike once i graduate next year, but for now what can I do? I was born in 1980, and someone mentioned to be this was an early 80's bike. Anyone have an idea? It has "SEARS ROBUCK CO." on it. Can I upgrade wheels/tires? THanx for any info.

John M

Jun 21, 2005
xxSYNTHETIKxx said:
Hello everyone! Well, after riding a few 10 mile runs on my 30lb mountain bike (ha!) i got hooked on biking. Nevertheless, i have to start with a used bike due to tuition! Well, after reading and reading, I ended up with the conclusion that biking is not cheap. Let me cut to the chase:

I got a $25 10 spd off from some man. It's in great condition. I know it's a crummy brand, but hey, it's about 8lbs lighter than my mountain bike.

This is the brand:

Free Spirit Dynasty (I know, after doing some searching, i found out its a crummy bike). Although crummy brand, I think it will suit my needs for the time being.

It has shimano components: Positron (another not so good part).

Question, can I upgrade this? I'll be investing on a good bike once i graduate next year, but for now what can I do? I was born in 1980, and someone mentioned to be this was an early 80's bike. Anyone have an idea? It has "SEARS ROBUCK CO." on it. Can I upgrade wheels/tires? THanx for any info.

Sounds like you have learned alot.

I wouldn't bother spending any money to upgrade. If it is in decent shape, spending a few bucks to get it tuned, lubed, and new tires/tubes (if needed), and a comfortable saddle is the limit of what I would spend on it. Best if you can save money by doing the maintenance yourself. If this bike is not sufficiently functional with a minimal investment, you are otherwise better off riding the mountain bike or saving the money for next years better bike purchase.

merlin morris

Dec 19, 2005
My first bike was much like the one you describe. It was used department store road bike ****. Ride it into the ground and then buy something better.

However brakes are critical. Replace your pads if they are old. Also check your brake cables for frays.