250 Critical Mass bikers arrested in NYC

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by Andrew Szafran, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. According to the news this morning, about 250 bikers were arrested during
    the Critical Mass ride in NYC yesterday. (Hopefully not for obstruction
    of traffic, since the city is closing the West Side Highway on Sunday
    rather than allowing a protest in Central Park. :)

    Sounds like more overreaction on the part of the NYPD. Looking on the
    bright side, Bloomberg's overprotection of the Republican National
    Convention will likely count as a strike against him come the next mayoral
    election.

    -Andrew

    Tags:

  2. Heam Locea

    Heam Locea Guest

    "Andrew Szafran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > According to the news this morning, about 250 bikers were arrested during
    > the Critical Mass ride in NYC yesterday. (Hopefully not for obstruction
    > of traffic, since the city is closing the West Side Highway on Sunday
    > rather than allowing a protest in Central Park. :)
    >
    > Sounds like more overreaction on the part of the NYPD. Looking on the
    > bright side, Bloomberg's overprotection of the Republican National
    > Convention will likely count as a strike against him come the next mayoral
    > election.
    >
    > -Andrew

    Hope the keep them locked up they give the rest of us bicyclists a BAD NAME.
    Teenage Morons, stay in jail.
    At least no one got KILLED.

  3. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > At least no one got KILLED.

    =v= "At least?" You make it sound like a likelihood. Critical
    Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years and 11 months
    without anyone getting KILLED.
    <_Jym_>

  4. Andrew Szafran wrote:
    > According to the news this morning, about 250 bikers were arrested during
    > the Critical Mass ride in NYC yesterday. (Hopefully not for obstruction
    > of traffic, since the city is closing the West Side Highway on Sunday
    > rather than allowing a protest in Central Park. :)

    I'm reading reports that the arrest count was up to 264. They estimate
    that there were around 5000 riders. Apparently it turned into more of
    an anti-Bush/RNC protest than a typical critical mass which is normally
    only around a few hundred in NYC.

    I think this is more about current election politics than about CM.

  5. Heam Locea <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Andrew Szafran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > Hope the keep them locked up they give the rest of us bicyclists a BAD NAME.
    > Teenage Morons, stay in jail.
    > At least no one got KILLED.

    Bad troll! Plonk.

    -Andrew

  6. Hank Lucea

    Hank Lucea Guest

    "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > At least no one got KILLED.

    > =v= "At least?" You make it sound like a likelihood. Critical
    > Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years and 11 months
    > without anyone getting KILLED.
    > <_Jym_>

    That is a lie, 1997 San Francisco.

  7. -

    - Guest

    IMHO such activities help Bush more than Kerry, since the Republicans can
    point to them as evidence that the anti-Bush people are irresponsible,
    anarchists, not law-abiding, left-wing extremists, etc., etc. Is Critical
    Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the Republican party?

    Just wondering... Sheesh, hasn't anyone heard the expression "agents
    provocateurs?"

  8. Tom Betz

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth - <[email protected]> in
    news:p[email protected]:

    > Is Critical Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the
    > Republican party?

    Critical Mass has been having these monthly bike rides (designed
    to raise consciousness for bicycle-friendly streets) for 11
    months without incident. This one time, there was a larger
    crowd than there had been previously, and the police arrested
    many of them for heinous crime of stopping at a traffic light --
    the police claimed that the stopped bicyclists were blocking
    access to a hospital. It was a lie, part of an ongoing
    Bloomberg attempt at intimidating protestors.

    Look for more of the same all week.

    --
    Where was AWOL George W. Bush?
    <http://www.glcq.com/bush_at_arpc1.htm>

  9. Hotshot

    Hotshot Guest

    GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

  10. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    >> Critical Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years
    >> and 11 months without anyone getting KILLED.

    > That is a lie, 1997 San Francisco.

    =v= Nobody was killed in any Critical Mass in San Francisco.
    Nor in any of the monthly mini-masses there. Not in 1997,
    not in any year.
    <_Jym_>

  11. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > Apparently it turned into more of an anti-Bush/RNC protest
    > than a typical critical mass which is normally only around
    > a few hundred in NYC.

    =v= Actually, since Bike Summer last year, the summer rides
    have been much bigger.

    > I think this is more about current election politics than
    > about CM.

    =v= No doubt. On a ride right before the RNC in a city where
    most of the citizenry doesn't want the RNC, you're bound to
    get some of that.
    <_Jym_>

  12. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Tom Betz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Quoth - <[email protected]> in
    > news:p[email protected]:
    >
    > > Is Critical Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the
    > > Republican party?

    > Critical Mass has been having these monthly bike rides (designed
    > to raise consciousness for bicycle-friendly streets) for 11
    > months without incident.

    That may be the "design" but the result is exactly the opposite.
    I am amazed at how politically ignorant CMers are.

    Dick Durbin