250 miles of snow and ice on cross-icefield ride

Dennis P. Harri

Guest
The bike path less traveled Juneau biker traverses 250 miles of snow and ice on cross-icefield ride
http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/051103/out_glacierbike.shtml

By CHRISTINE SCHMID JUNEAU EMPIRE Web posted Sunday, May 11, 2003

Mike Miller's winter vacation this year was not spent at an enormous outdoor enthusiast gear swap.
But his packing list might have led one to believe otherwise.

Life preserver. Ice ax. Spare bike tire tube. Plastic sled. Telemark skis. Insulated Xtra Tuffs.

Miller, 40, set out on an expedition that took him by bike from the southwest end of Tutshi Lake,
about 20 miles past the U.S.-Canada border on the Klondike Highway, across a series of frozen lakes
that formed a quasi-highway to Atlin, British Columbia. From there he crossed the Juneau Icefield,
mostly on his bicycle, to return to Juneau.

"I mainly did it to prove that it's do-able," Miller said. "The efficiency of (bike) transportation
- it's just a thrill to be able to move so far over that vast environment."

(snipped, see http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/051103/out_glacierbike.shtml for story
with picture)

And some of us whine about riding in the rain.

--
Alan C. Acock [email protected] [email protected] http://www.orst.edu/dept/hdfs/acock/
news:[email protected]...